PDA

View Full Version : I now realize why factory loads are stout.

stand125
07-16-2012, 9:58 AM
My buddy and I went out shooting. I took a bunch of my panzy reloads that I love to shoot out of my 1911 and he took a bunch of factory. He tried some of my SWC and they kept short cycling. He was complaing about how reloads suck. I tried his gun and my reloads cycled fine and where very accurate. He tried again and I noticed that he had a very loose grip and the gun was jumping all over the place. I told him to tighten his grip and stiffin his arm. Sure enough, my panzy reloads cycled well and his groups tightened up. It seems to me that factory loads are designed to be a safe bett that no matter how loose the grip is on the gun, they will still cycle just fine. No real point to this thread besides I thought it was an interesting experience.

em9sredbeam
07-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I shot my buddie's hk 40, and noticed the recoil was more than my XD 40....until I realized he was using wwb, and I was using my reloads.

XDRoX
07-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Yep. Not only do factory loads pack a solid punch but most tend to do it without a lot of heat and fairly clean. It's why most don't use powders that we have access to. Most use a special blend or a custom powder. Kind of like a restaurant's secret sauce.

It amazing how a much influence a weak grip can also have. I'm use to Glocks so I tend to have a much more solid grip than my buddies who shoot 1911's.

CGT80
07-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I had to load my mom's 9mm ammo hot, when she first got her XD. Now that she has been shooting a while, we can run the same load in both our XD's. She just had to learn to grip the gun properly. My pet load is 970 fps for a 124 jhp. It just cycles the gun when I shoot weak hand only.

Full Clip
07-18-2012, 12:39 AM
I had to load my mom's 9mm ammo hot...

Nice quote. :cool2:

JNunez23
07-18-2012, 9:46 AM

Yeah! That is pretty classic! I don't think I will ever hear that one again in my lifetime.

CGT80
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
That one was over my head. So, is my mind not as dirty as yours, or is there some other reason that quote is great? :confused:

the led farmer
07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
That one was over my head. So, is my mind not as dirty as yours, or is there some other reason that quote is great? :confused:

he said his mom likes his hot loads. . .

for 9mm i guess

Cowboy T
07-18-2012, 1:54 PM

Now, now, let's be nice, everyone. :-)

We see that a lot at the shop. Limp-wristing a pistol* seems to be the major cause of FTF's, FTE's, stovepipes, etc. About 2 months ago, I had one woman who was about to go for a training class the very next week, and she was wondering why she kept getting jams in her Glock 19. So, I tried a box of American Eagle 9mm. No problem. She got a tighter grip, and the pistol worked perfectly. The same seems to happen with certain XD's. Ruger SR9's seem to be more tolerant of it. The Kimber will occasionally hiccup with limp-wristing, but not as often as our Glocks or XD's have.

* No, I will not use the word "gun" in this context, given the dirty minds in this thread! :p

CGT80
07-18-2012, 2:51 PM
he said his mom likes his hot loads. . .

I didn't even mention anything about what she liked.........

You guys are easy to entertain, that or you don't have good reading comprehension and just read the words you want to see.

I love it when a line can be taken a couple of ways, but that one wasn't close to what you guys interpreted. Maybe I need some of what you are drinking :cheers2:

CalTeacher
07-18-2012, 3:08 PM
I think it's probably fair to say that, at best, some handgun ammo is on the hotter side. A lot of the bulk plinking ammo in popular chamberings really isn't as hot as you'd think. Run some of it through a chronograph and you'll be surprised at what you find. Most of my loads are shooting at least as fast as factory ammo of the same general configuration. My rifle ammo is generally loaded up pretty hot if it's for hunting.

CSACANNONEER
07-18-2012, 3:19 PM
Yep. Not only do factory loads pack a solid punch but most tend to do it without a lot of heat and fairly clean. It's why most don't use powders that we have access to. Most use a special blend or a custom powder. Kind of like a restaurant's secret sauce.

Don't kid yourself. Big companies use bulk powder (not canister grade like we get but, normally similar to what we can get) that they have to determine the burn rate for each batch (train cars full per batch). Then, they use that data to determine their loads with. The sevret recipe changes for each new batch of powder they get. Even if the powder is the smae type as the last batch. We pay more canister grade powders that have more consistant burn rates between lots so, published load data will work no matter what lot number you use. Of course, even with canister grade powders, there are small (Vitivoure is known to vary significantly from lot to lot though) variations in burn rates and, that's why reloaders ALWAYS:rolleyes: start with the minuimum recommended loads every time they open a new jug of powder.

the led farmer
07-18-2012, 3:53 PM
... Maybe I need some of what you are drinking :cheers2:

i'll drink to that!

bussda
07-18-2012, 4:12 PM
Back in the 90's there was a controversy that U.S. Ammo was downloaded for liability reasons and foreign ammo (usually European) was hotter.

bruceflinch
07-19-2012, 8:27 AM
OP, When your Buddy tightened up his grip, Did his groupings improve?

stilly
07-19-2012, 9:12 AM
I forgot what I was gonna say with all that dirty talk going around!

Next thing you know is that they use the cheap powder loads to give you most bang for the smallest amount... :\ Like, When I start putting lil gun into 44 mag, I think it is what, 8gr or something? or is that hp-38 that I am thinking of? compared to the usual 19-24gr of h-110/ aa#7/9 / 300-mp...