PDA

View Full Version : bear spray on mountain lions.

RuggedJay
07-15-2012, 7:38 PM
Does bearspray work on mountainlions?

CAHighSierra
07-15-2012, 7:47 PM
It should. Mountain lions hate having to fight to get a meal, a blast of bear spray would make em think twice.

mcmikeblues7
07-15-2012, 7:50 PM
Might be like a spray bottle for a house cat!
I kid

ponderosa
07-15-2012, 7:58 PM
What about pepper spray?

I take a M7 bayo with me when I mtb so I can stab that big ***** cat to death.

J/k but sometimes I carry pepper spray for 2-legged critters when i remember. Would rather open carry (loaded) my g17 but not sure legal. I have seen bear, deer, rattlers, bob cats, but the cougars, well they may have seen me but I've not seen them.

skkeeter
07-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Good lucky spraying a mountain lion in the face when it's teeth are sunk into the back of your neck!! For bear and other creatures it should work just fine, assuming your not ambushed first.

jjj/jjj
07-15-2012, 11:49 PM
if a mountain lion or bear confronts you, and you try to scare it away but it charges you, and you shoot it point blank for your own safety... will the dfg let you keep it and eat it??

edgerly779
07-16-2012, 4:11 AM
jjj/jjj DFG takes animals involved in attacks/ self defense. If they give you a depradation permit for bear/ mountain lion/ bobcat they take the carcass.

skkeeter
07-16-2012, 4:31 AM
Jjj, mountain lions don't confront you, or announce their presence. In most cases, by the time you know a mountain lion is attacking you, it's too late!!

Manolito
07-16-2012, 7:05 AM
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/manolito9/cougartrack-1.jpg

If you are very lucky you may see this before an attack otherwise you will see the dirt with him on top of you just before the spine is seperated from the pressure of the jaw and the spacing of the canine teeth.

jjj/jjj
07-16-2012, 7:58 AM
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/manolito9/cougartrack-1.jpg

If you are very lucky you may see this before an attack otherwise you will see the dirt with him on top of you just before the spine is seperated from the pressure of the jaw and the spacing of the canine teeth.

oh cool :0

180ls1
07-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Eh like others have said it may work but your going to get yourself also cause it will probably be on top of you if it attacks. Id still carry some though because wild/stray dogs and crazy people are a much bigger threat then lions/bears are. I would also carry a good knife.

mif_slim
07-16-2012, 10:47 AM
You guys talk as if the Mt. lion is a ghost or wears a high-tech cloaking device which blends into the surroundings...

I have to say they are quiet, but you have to be either stupid or not paying attention to not hear or see one.

I don't know about you guys but when I hunt I listen to everything and scan everything. I don't just look for the game I'm after. I've spotted 1 mt. Lion so far and my uncle was trailed by one for a few hours which he noticed by hearing it sneak up on my uncle.

Will the bear spray be effective? I think so.

The War Wagon
07-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Yep. Especially that .308 caliber bear "spray"... :cool:

Coyotegunner
07-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I have noticed that rifles and shotguns work on them pretty well in other places.While I have never had one get on top of me yet like some folks.They have followed and stalked me.I had one in my garage in Idaho.That was interesting.F&G says open the garage door so I can shoot it.NO NO I can break your window and shoot it.He then goes to the truck to call back up,I suppose.In the mean time the garage is getting destroyed.My mother got tired of the baloney and went in through the house and shot it twice with a 38.It was to bad,they are beautiful animals.
Bear spray works well on many animals as well as wasp spray.We used the wasp stuff for years on bears around our elk camps.

ilikerugers
07-16-2012, 11:01 AM
I have to say they are quiet, but you have to be either stupid or not paying attention to not hear or see one.

You can't hear them if you're walking along a creek or a river!

I always wear a daypack when I'm out walking alone in the deep woods.

razorx
07-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Just a water bottle that has a spray top, no need to go overboard with pepper spray. A few squirts and say "bad, kitty" works fine.

Though, make sure the water bottle is full since it might take more than a few sprays, plus repetition of "bad, kitty" is important for reinforcement. Oh, and remember to maintain close direct eye contact with kitty and speak with calm authority, respect is important to establish and maintain throughout the mauling.

toby
07-16-2012, 3:26 PM
...................:o....................

Aeonstar
07-16-2012, 6:04 PM
You guys talk as if the Mt. lion is a ghost or wears a high-tech cloaking device which blends into the surroundings...

lol that is funny right there just saying..... If a kitty wants to walk quite in the woods even when its dry and crunchy out they can. Had a Mom sneak up to about 5 feet behind me when i was laying down glassing elk across a valley. Was dry as a bone that year and tons of dry leaves and twigs.... first thing i heard was her growl behind me, i would have been dinner had she wanted.

Abenaki
07-16-2012, 7:12 PM
Lions do not always attack from behind. Like any other bushwacker, they want the odds in their on their side.....but things don't always work out that way.

I personally know of 3 attacks came from the front.

1. George was deer hunting. He was walking on the side of a mountain when the lion attacked him. The only thing that saved him was that he was carrying his rifle at port arms. After he got fish and game involved, they found 2 young kittens.

2. My Uncle Harry. He was out in a field at evening time looking for deer. He was standing in knee deep dry grass. When he saw the cat, it was about 20 feet away, and sneaking up on him! He had no gun or knife. So he raised his arms up high and ran at the lion screaming as loud as he could! The cat ran away!

3. I forget the guys name. He was bow hunting for deer around eagle lake. He put an arrow right through the cats mouth!

Lions do not always attack from behind. But when they do attack.....you had better be ready!

Take care
Abenaki

ilikerugers
07-16-2012, 11:41 PM
first thing i heard was her growl behind me, i would have been dinner had she wanted
okay..., so..., what happened next???

mif_slim
07-17-2012, 12:48 AM
ol that is funny right there just saying..... If a kitty wants to walk quite in the woods even when its dry and crunchy out they can. Had a Mom sneak up to about 5 feet behind me when i was laying down glassing elk across a valley. Was dry as a bone that year and tons of dry leaves and twigs.... first thing i heard was her growl behind me, i would have been dinner had she wanted.

....but you have to be either stupid or not paying attention to not hear or see one.

It'll be nice if you quoted the entire quote... ;)

mif_slim
07-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Lol, I meant read...sorry. haha..too late for me.

pieeater
07-17-2012, 4:50 AM
I was attacked once during starling season but a family of bears saved me.

victor1echo
07-17-2012, 7:24 PM
It won't work because your scrawny neck will be broken before youcan press a button.

Bangzoom
07-17-2012, 7:32 PM
In India some will wear a mask that looks like a face on the back of their head...tigers like to attack from behind....maybe this will work on Pumas..i mean...if you are that worried

newcitizen
07-17-2012, 8:08 PM
That is a good point!
I had an experience of a cat shriek and growl when we got to close. I was with two other friends on private property outside of auburn. One of us was armed. We were just walking around mid mountain after getting out of my truck and heard a rustling in the bushes. We thought it was another friend messing with us and didn't think much of it. We continued to get about 20 yds from my truck and again heard some more rustling in the bushes but this time an eery (spl) sound came from the bushes this shriek and growl. We knew bears were around because the food container (knack Jobbox) had been turned over in our camp and there were prints all over but this sound was nothing like a bear. Whatever was doing it was not happy with us. We started back to the truck like a swat team leaving a room and tucked our tails. Even though being armed and three sets of eyes on the lookout we were still freaked out (I know let the jokes fly:o) We never saw it and didn't care to see it.
The following week we heard from my friends dad that a neighboring property's dog got attacked by a lion. Still gives me chills.