PDA

View Full Version : state/county laws on powder storage?

mzimmers
07-15-2012, 6:32 PM
Does calguns.net have a page with this information? I want to make sure I'm in compliance with whatever idiotic regulations there may be on this.

Thanks.

mjmagee67
07-15-2012, 6:40 PM
Title 19 in California regulates the storage of smokeless powder and primers. The max amount of powder one can have in a single family dwelling is 20 LBS stored in the DOT approved shipping containers(the jugs they came in). Now primers it is some stupid amount that escapes me right now, like 250,000 or there abouts. Now if you build a magazine box out of 1-in thick plywood you can increase it to either 40 or 50 pounds.

Now the reality is no one is going to inspect your home and whine about the powder. The local Fire Department has the responsibility to enforce Title 19 yet they have no authority to enter a single family dwelling, duplex, condo, townhouse, or apartment without a warrant.

The regs are pretty standard across the USA Title 19 mirrors the IFC (International Fire Code)

mzimmers
07-15-2012, 7:15 PM
Title 19 in California regulates the storage of smokeless powder and primers. The max amount of powder one can have in a single family dwelling is 20 LBS stored in the DOT approved shipping containers(the jugs they came in). Now primers it is some stupid amount that escapes me right now, like 250,000 or there abouts. Now if you build a magazine box out of 1-in thick plywood you can increase it to either 40 or 50 pounds.

Thanks for the reply. I think the 50-pound number is correct if stored in a magazine (at least, that seems to be consistent with federal law.

Now the reality is no one is going to inspect your home and whine about the powder. The local Fire Department has the responsibility to enforce Title 19 yet they have no authority to enter a single family dwelling, duplex, condo, townhouse, or apartment without a warrant.

I'm not concerned with an inspection; I'm more thinking about whether my home insurer would try to weasel out of compensating me if I had "excessive" or "improperly stored" powder. To me, this is a valid concern.

The regs are pretty standard across the USA Title 19 mirrors the IFC (International Fire Code)

So...I probably don't need to concern myself with any county regulations, then? Someone recently told me that you can't own ANY black powder in San Mateo County. I'm not a black powder user, so this specifically didn't matter to me, but it made me wonder about county-specific regulations.

Anyway, building a box sounds like fun; I just have to figure out where to put the damn thing. The garage is packed to the brim as it is...

mjmagee67
07-15-2012, 7:31 PM
By Code Black Powder is limited to 1 LB, I'm not sure is a magazine buys you anymore.

Having investigated approximately 100 structure fires, I would find it very hard to believe that an insurance investigator could narrow down the number of pounds of powder you had. Especially if the fire ignited the powder. You would have a pretty intense local burning, and it would be interesting what would be left of the jugs and if the plastic would even be noticeable as a powder container. The 5 gallon gas can in your garage causes a bigger issue.

ahren111
07-15-2012, 8:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think the 50-pound number is correct if stored in a magazine (at least, that seems to be consistent with federal law.

If federal law is 50lbs I'm supprised Cal law isn't something like 3lbs :rolleyes:

joelogic
07-15-2012, 10:14 PM
IIRC, title 19 also says local government can further restrict limits.