PDA

View Full Version : New reloader question

Army Vet
07-15-2012, 12:21 PM
I know someone can answer this question for me. Could not find answer when searching.
I am going to be cleaning my brass with a stainless steel media and tumbler and of course want to decap prior to cleaning. I am using a RCBS decaper - resizer die and do not want to resize prior to cleaning. Do I need to have a different type of die to just decap or can I lower the decaping rod so that it will decap and not resize? Hope this make sense.
Thanks for help.

mroels
07-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I got a universal decapping die.

NoNOS67
07-15-2012, 12:44 PM
I got a universal decapping die.

+1!

Munk
07-15-2012, 1:03 PM
I recommend the Lee universal decapper. Wider range of calibers than the RCBS line. It's inexpensive. And the collet system means that if a case is reluctant and tries to break your decapper, it'll slide the stem upwards rather than break.

skibuff
07-15-2012, 2:49 PM
I recommend the Lee universal decapper. Wider range of calibers than the RCBS line. It's inexpensive. And the collet system means that if a case is reluctant and tries to break your decapper, it'll slide the stem upwards rather than break.

Collet system sucks on the Lee dies.

call-in
07-15-2012, 3:23 PM
I'm also looking into decapping prior to SS tumbling and I have been looking into getting the Lee decapping die.

Could you share your experience with this?

Thanks.

Army Vet
07-15-2012, 3:35 PM
Thanks everyone. I forgot to give thought to decaping prior to tumbling. Thought I had everything needed and was ready to spend the day getting cases ready. Bummer, will now have to see if any of the local stores have the decaping die, which I doubt. Dont want to wait to receive if order online.
Thanks again.

EWILKE
07-15-2012, 3:51 PM
why not resize before tumbling you are pulling the handle anyway.

Southpaw45
07-15-2012, 3:53 PM

Why? No problems here........

Munk
07-15-2012, 4:01 PM

I'm also looking into decapping prior to SS tumbling and I have been looking into getting the Lee decapping die.

Thanks.

Seriously, if there's a horror story involved, i'd like to hear the details so I can avoid the problem.

So far, mine has done stubborn crimped military .30-06 and some .44, .30-30, .40s&w, and 10mm without issue.

skibuff
07-15-2012, 4:41 PM

Thanks.

Sorry I should have share reason.
First I have not use their decapping only die.
The problem I've had with the lee cullet decapping system is with a .308 sizing/decapping die. Lee uses a 1 piece system so you have to replace the entire rod not just a pin like RCBS and others. The concept behind them is good that if the decapper gets stuck the entire decapping rod pushes upword. So here is what has driven me crazy. I could never find the sweet spot. If it is set loose it constantly pushes the rod up and you have to reset the die. So I slowly start tightening it and the decapper breaks and like I said then you have to buy an entire rod.

With the RCBS I call them and they send out a years supply of decapping pins free including shipping.

Munk
07-16-2012, 10:37 AM
The problem I've had with the lee cullet decapping system is with a .308 sizing/decapping die. Lee uses a 1 piece system so you have to replace the entire rod not just a pin like RCBS and others. The concept behind them is good that if the decapper gets stuck the entire decapping rod pushes upword. So here is what has driven me crazy. I could never find the sweet spot. If it is set loose it constantly pushes the rod up and you have to reset the die. So I slowly start tightening it and the decapper breaks and like I said then you have to buy an entire rod.

With the RCBS I call them and they send out a years supply of decapping pins free including shipping.

Damn, I guess it's pretty sensitive to how tight you have the collet set. Good to know.

call-in
07-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Has this happened to anyone using the lee universal decapping die? I'll probably get a rotary tumbler, some media within a month and I would really like to know if there is a problem with using this die.

batangueno
07-16-2012, 11:12 AM
why not resize before tumbling you are pulling the handle anyway.

You may not want to resize a dirty brass since it may damage the resizing die.

ds272
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Has this happened to anyone using the lee universal decapping die? I'll probably get a rotary tumbler, some media within a month and I would really like to know if there is a problem with using this die.[/QUOTE]

I've had absolutely no issues with the Lee Universal decapper. I also picked up a used Lee single stage press for a couple of dollars so I run all my brass through it prior to rotary tumbling. That way I don't get a lot of dirt and gime anywhere near my main press.