PDA

View Full Version : Salmon fishing in inland waters of Northern California?

Hornet_RN
07-15-2012, 8:53 AM
I heard around my local bait shops that July 16th is opening day of the inland water salmon season in california.

I have never successfully caught an inland caught salmon before because I don't really know where they are or what rigs or techniques to use to catch them?

Anybody willing to share their spots? i live in the northern bay area...so i was looking up driving to the American River or Feather River, but I don't know what time of year to go up there? I was also looking forward to going to Benicia when the salmon runs through there, because that is really close to home for me.

Also, what lures would i be using there? i have a 8.5 foot ugly stik salmon/steelhead rod with 12 lbs test line...i thought about using some Mepps Flying C or some Blue Foxes? Those work over there?

Is it possible to use bait over there too? what bait and what rigs should I use? i heard that you can use bouncing rigs/flossing rigs with salmon roe works, but i've never used that before in my life.

any pointers would help.

thanks,
Hornet_RN

tony270
07-15-2012, 9:27 AM
The spillway from lake orville, small crocodile and gold cast masters were what we used in the pond behind the spillway, but the best bait is a red salmon egg and a red bead on a long leader. The spillway is the best spot but you'll have the battle with about 20 other guys shoulder to shoulder, they even have guys in wetsuits with snorkles that for a pricel dive down and unhook a snag. They rig up some funny way using a red a bead, salmon eggs and long leader. They say the fish don't bite the bait they suck the bait in, some of the fish are spent some are not, I would guess most are above 10 pounds.

gdr_11
07-15-2012, 11:42 AM
If you fish during the month of October, it is hard to miss on the American River. Tough part is finding access, but if you pay the daily parking fee at CSUS, you can walk over the levee and fish between the H st. Bridge and Howe avenue. Anywhere along the college side of the river will hold salmon. Cast #5 Mepps spinners, 3/4 oz. Kastmasters, 5/8 oz. Little Cleo or Wob-L-Rite spoons, all in silver. Make a 3/4 cast upstream and let the lure hit the bottom, then reel slow enough to make the lure work along the bottom. Snags may be common, but even a beginner can catch fish here. A few years ago I was fishing there and just landed my second salmon when a young man on a bike asked me how to catch fish. I gave him the same info as above, and next time I saw him two weeks later he told me he had caught six fish since I first met him. Made me feel better to see him so excited than it was to catch my own fish. Good luck!

As far as Benicia, I used to live there and when the salmon are running off the jetty, it is a zoo. Follow the USA Fishing or Chronicle reports on the Bay and go when they say they are being caught there. Try to go on a weekday and fish with #5 Mepps spinner or buy a few local spinners from the guys who set up to sell their wares there.

daNkiest
07-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Good advice. I've never really caught a salmon before but I've snagged one. Let it go and tried for it again and didn't catch none. I did end up with a 22 in striper.

Hornet_RN
07-15-2012, 12:50 PM
If you fish during the month of October, it is hard to miss on the American River. Tough part is finding access, but if you pay the daily parking fee at CSUS, you can walk over the levee and fish between the H st. Bridge and Howe avenue. Anywhere along the college side of the river will hold salmon. Cast #5 Mepps spinners, 3/4 oz. Kastmasters, 5/8 oz. Little Cleo or Wob-L-Rite spoons, all in silver. Make a 3/4 cast upstream and let the lure hit the bottom, then reel slow enough to make the lure work along the bottom. Snags may be common, but even a beginner can catch fish here. A few years ago I was fishing there and just landed my second salmon when a young man on a bike asked me how to catch fish. I gave him the same info as above, and next time I saw him two weeks later he told me he had caught six fish since I first met him. Made me feel better to see him so excited than it was to catch my own fish. Good luck!

As far as Benicia, I used to live there and when the salmon are running off the jetty, it is a zoo. Follow the USA Fishing or Chronicle reports on the Bay and go when they say they are being caught there. Try to go on a weekday and fish with #5 Mepps spinner or buy a few local spinners from the guys who set up to sell their wares there.

wow, Sacramento State, that's where i graduated from college/nursing school!!! (hence, the screen name) I always wondered when the fishing got good over there, but then again I wasn't into fishing when i was going to school back then either.

As for Benicia, I was around bait fishing for stripers while everyone else was spinning for salmon...and yes, benicia state park and the first street benicia pier is insanity.

thanks for all the advice everyone.

-Hornet_RN

tony270
07-15-2012, 3:24 PM
I fished that area back in 1989, that's a long time ago, things change so always check the Regulstions. This video is of the spillway, read the comments, oh and the kastmaster crocodile lures are the small ones, not the 3 oz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgiGbfmOZYM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

joemama
07-16-2012, 11:13 AM
The spillway is off limits now, to many problems with so many people fishing in a small area. This site is usually pretty current with the regs but it's always good to double check.

norcalfishingnews.com/index.php

TuleyHopn
07-20-2012, 1:02 PM
Hi folks! My first post so please be gentle.:rolleyes:
I fished the American and sac/feather river ALOT the last two years. Your best bet on the American is the william b pond rec area. Park in the first parking area and walk to your left (north/east) toward the pedestrian bridge, fish the west side under the bridge. The pressure is usually light and it is an AWESOME place as you will see. For the sac/feather river try Verona. its about 100 yards from the confluence of those two rivers. If you do go, just ask and I will give you detailed directions to each place. Be advised both places charge for parking. ALSO!!!! Be VERY careful going up the feather! The "insert favorite cuss word here" sand bars are crazy. Great fishing!
There are a couple other places that get virtually no pressure but I wont post them on an open forum.
Now I live in Burney Ca so I have to find new places...... bummer. ;)

MT1
11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Hornet - done plenty of trout fishing in lakes across the sierras and shasta NF, but never river fishing for salmon. You come up with any good spots that will work in the next month or so?

antonio
11-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Been out about 5 times this year in the boat me and my brother have both had salmon in the boat everytime we drift while jigging gibs minnows usually 3 ounce. Black & silver. Sacramento river near miller park on the yolk county side

Horton Fenty
11-20-2012, 7:07 AM
We fish the lower Trinity for salmon. There all dead or dying at the moment but during the runs everyone typically is dead drifting, or bobber drifting, tuna balls or roe. A buddy and I were out Steelhead fishing yesterday, caught three, and there's salmon everywhere in the river.

http://i.imgur.com/hY2zP.jpg

Float rod was working well.