PDA

View Full Version : Best place for intrafamily transfer near Sacramento

PKLodi
07-15-2012, 3:49 AM
Looking for an FFL near sacramento that has experience doing a intrafamily transfer. My wife wants one of her mom's non-roster handguns. Any suggestions?

PKLodi
07-15-2012, 3:51 AM
Forgot to add that her mom lives in Reno, NV so this will be an out of state transfer.

Whatisthis?
07-15-2012, 7:16 AM
An intrafamily, iirc, does not require an ffl. The gun should legally be transported into your wife's possession and at the same time, fill out the intrafamily form and send it in with the small fee.
This should all be double checked. There are TONS of old threads and info on it. Either search calguns or google and make sure you are 100% on something like this before you start transferring firearms.

alfred1222
07-15-2012, 7:50 AM
Hmmm this is an interesting one... From what I understand, her mom would have to vol reg it with the state, and than give it to your mom. But that's just a hunch, it isn't solid, so wait for people with much more wisdom to comment in. Also, check out the wiki

littlejake
07-15-2012, 9:06 AM
Read Librarian's answer in this thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=582876

PKLodi
07-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Mother-in-law is a NV resident and my wife is a CA resident. No one is changing residences, just giving the gun. I think I still need an FFL for the transfer. I would like an FFL familiar with this type of transfer. Any suggestions?

paul0660
07-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I would ask in the FFL forum. You do need a FFL, but the interfamily thing gets you around the roster.

4DSJW
07-15-2012, 3:17 PM
1) Federal law, not CA law, requires that as an interstate transfer it go through a CA FFL, which means that there will be a transfer fee, not a PPT fee or no fee.

2) A Gift letter should accompany the gun with the name and relationship of the person giving/receiving the gun and the gun information.

3) Your mom can ship it directly to the FFL or she can bring it with her during a visit. It has to be transported in CA in a locked container.

4) Not all FFL's understand or are comfortable doing an Intrafamilial Transfer for an off-roster gun so call before going to make sure the shop will do it. It is usually best to talk to the FFL holder and get a NAME in case of problems.

PKLodi
07-15-2012, 3:50 PM
Again, any suggestions of an FFL near Sacramento with experience doing this transaction?

paul0660
07-15-2012, 3:52 PM
Again, any suggestions of an FFL near Sacramento with experience doing this transaction?

Plug in your zip and use the phone: http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

rromeo
07-15-2012, 5:14 PM
Golden State Tactical generally has good reviews.

Whatisthis?
07-15-2012, 5:57 PM
Placer tactical (I think) has been very friendly and is SSE friendly. They are probably comfortable with off roster handguns as well. My favorites in The Sac area are river city gun exchange and Cordova shooting center, however, I would contact both first to see if they would do it.

XVIga_Rob
07-15-2012, 6:53 PM
Check with Sacramento Black Rifle. I understand that they have helped with off roster guns.

PKLodi
07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I was checking to see if anyone has done one these transactions and if it went smoothly.