PDA

View Full Version : Pacific 366 garage sale find

mattt
07-14-2012, 3:12 PM
Brother is at a garage sale this am and there is a pacific 336 progressive shotshell press for 100 bucks he calls me and asks if I want it .I tell him to offer 80$ seller says ok and throws in a case of clays:)

mattt
07-14-2012, 7:17 PM
Guess all you ar shooters dont know what a pacific/Hornady progresive 336 press is :rolleyes:

Corbin Dallas
07-14-2012, 7:23 PM
Wow a 4 hour and 5 minute pause for heavy sarcasm. This MUST be a new calguns record

Bill Steele
07-14-2012, 7:32 PM
Wow a 4 hour and 5 minute pause for heavy sarcasm. This MUST be a new calguns record

Sounds kind of like a tipping point thing...

Maltese Falcon
07-14-2012, 7:36 PM
So this is a good deal? People really load there own shotshells? Pics please!

mattt
07-14-2012, 7:39 PM
Very friendly here in reload section?

EmmaGoldman
07-15-2012, 8:33 PM
Not unfriendly, but not many shotgun reloaders to understand what you're on about.

Quinc
07-16-2012, 3:14 PM
I priced out reloading target loads a few months ago and I would have only saved 1-2 cents per shot compared to the 100 packs from wamart. =/

PatrickHenry
07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Guess all you ar shooters dont know what a pacific/Hornady progresive 336 press is :rolleyes:

I have one, second owner, my dad was the first owner.

mattt
07-19-2012, 5:51 PM
It was not working when I got it home .It must have been sitting for years.Had alot of fun getting everything oiled and back working:) almost like a puzzel.

rsrocket1
07-19-2012, 7:17 PM
Well, the clays are worth $5-$10.
If you don't already load shotshells and are not mechanically inclined, then no price is worth it for an old 366. If you already were loading on a 366 for years, then it might be worth it to fix up and have as a backup or sell. If it were working perfectly or almost perfectly AND you were an avid shooter (200-400/month), it would be worth it.

You can save about $3/box of 25 by buying components in (1000 primers/8 pounds powder/500 wads/reclaimed shot) or more by buying in bulk (5000 primers/32 pounds powder/5000 wads/reclaimed shot). But if you spend any appreciable amount on the loader (or fixing it up), it could take 100+ boxes to recoup your cost.

The 366 is an old complicated, but very capable loader. Hornady bought the design and is still producing it under their name so most replacement parts are still available. Go over to Shotgun World and talk to the guys in the reloading section if you need help getting it to work or adjusting it to make your shells.

Definitely get a shotshell reloading book. You don't load shotshells like you do rifle/pistol rounds. You follow a strict recipe based on hull/powder/primer/wad. Any deviation can give you an ugly looking shell, a load that goes poof instead of bang, or a blown out wall from your shotgun.

Good luck and be safe with your reloading.

mattt
07-20-2012, 4:56 PM
Saving money is not why I reload.I love reloading.I reload for everything I own except 22lr.I shoot long range f/class matches and load for that because I need to in order to win .I reload for my cowboy guns and every revolver cal you can think of.I even buy rifles because I have dies for that cal and want to use them. I bought this 336 to get into reloading shot shells and have it working great after 5,6 hours of tinkering.I only own 1 shotgun but see more in my future:D

rsrocket1
07-21-2012, 10:57 AM
You ought to be fine then. If you have other progressive loaders, you already know what it takes to get up to speed. You are already an experienced loader so you also already know that you need to learn the nuances of shotshell loading which is not the same as metallic loading.

Now that I re-read your OP, were you asking for advice or just tooting your horn about a good find?

If it was the latter, then congrats, you got a good deal. :)

bumpo628
07-21-2012, 11:33 PM
I priced out reloading target loads a few months ago and I would have only saved 1-2 cents per shot compared to the 100 packs from wamart. =/

As mentioned above, you can do better than that by buying in quantity.
The real reasons to reload shotshell are diversity and independence. You can load anything from 7/8 oz mousefart loads to slugs all for less than it costs in the store. Plus you are not at the mercy of a store's hours or stock condition.