PDA

View Full Version : Legality of using pot and guns in my home

Bargearse
07-14-2012, 10:52 AM
My two boys are pot users, recreationally even one of them have a MJ card. None of them do have medical condition as a reason to use pot, legally. However I am very concerned about my boys drug use in my home. I have several firearms in my safe but my wife knows the combination to it..

I am not a drug user and what's the legal ramifications for me if an LEO or an Agent from various departments visits my home and they said they have some complainant regarding to the smell. Could they have the RAS to enter and inspect in my home or in my car?

Please advise?

teh.killer.of.zombies
07-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Why would.this be an issue? If a felon lived in your house but had NO access to your firearms their would be no legal issues. So what would be the difference in this case?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

SupportGeek
07-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Realistically, with cannabis use being so commonplace in CA its unlikely anyone will complain to police abput the smell. Unless you live in the laps of someone else like in an apartment complex or something.
Only rules i am aware of regarfung cannabis and guns is the question on the 4473(i think thats the form) about beong a frequent user of or addicted to prohibited drugs. Sincw that isnt you i think you should be in the clear

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

SanPedroShooter
07-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Is MJ possesion a federal crime? I would keep my guns the hell away from anyone involved in illict narcotics, even if our state is morally bankrupt and permissive in this aspect. I am not down on anyones personal choice to use drugs, but drugs and guns can make for prison terms in my experiance.

Seperate room and safe at minimum.

Bhobbs
07-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Tell your boys to stop or GTFO. :shrug:

paul0660
07-14-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't exactly know the answer to your question, but as geek said it probably doesn't matter.

Your big problem is stoner kids. They rarely amount to anything. A number of people will opine that that is not the case, but that is just proving that the exception proves the rule.

Good luck.

wireless
07-14-2012, 11:28 AM
You really don't know who his kids are and what their accomplish. A stoner is an issue, someone who uses marijuana responsibly isn't, and the majority of marijuana users do use it responsibly. Just like guns, you cannot attack a minority when the majority are responsible.

As long as his kids aren't selling weed to their friends or trying to grow weed then I doubt it'll be an issue. Especially if the guns are locked up.

Burla
07-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Be careful, if your kids have dealer weight at anytime in your home at the same time the Feds find out, you can loose your home. I wouldn't even half way consider letting them grow, not even one plant. Make it known to your boys if you ever see more then a 1/2 ounce in your home, that you'll snatch their damn nuts off. It really isn't a CA issue, if your boy has a card and the other just smokes, CA wont even bother with it. It really isn't much of a gun issue either if they don't have access. The biggest threat is kids and the crap they pull not believing consequences can and will happen. Many a people who didn't believe the Feds would catch them for small issues regret the day they were born.

HowardW56
07-14-2012, 12:17 PM
I would make it simple... Not in my house, it is illegal...

Whether it should or should not be illegal is another topic, I'm not going there...

PM720
07-14-2012, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't take the chance. No pot allowed in my house. My GF son lived with us for a while. I found pot and meth and every time it went out the door followed shortly by him. I am so glad he finally got straightened out and has a job, wife and kid now. We get along great now that he's clean.

Scott

Josh3239
07-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Advice? How about man-ing up and putting a stop to it.

onedavetoomany
07-14-2012, 1:08 PM
I would make it simple... Not in my house, it is illegal...

Whether it should or should not be illegal is another topic, I'm not going there...

Medical Marijuana is legal. The feds are irrelevant unless you're a major grower or dispensary.

MaHoTex
07-14-2012, 1:19 PM
Medical Marijuana is legal. The feds are irrelevant unless you're a major grower or dispensary.

Wrong.

Burla
07-14-2012, 1:23 PM

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but educate yourself a bit. Here's a link on Gov't seizure, since 85' more then 2.5 billion in personal assets were seized even with low amounts of pot if anyone in the home is caught selling it- Link Here (http://petergormanarchive.com/at/drug-war-stories/forfeiture-the-seizing-of-america-part-1.html). With two kids smoking, how far of a stretch would it be to assume they might sell it not knowing the possible consequnces?

BigDogatPlay
07-14-2012, 1:33 PM

Right up close to FAIL. Go back and read the OP....

My two boys are pot users, recreationally even one of them have a MJ card. None of them do have medical condition as a reason to use pot, legally.

The feds don't recognize pot cards, and certainly not those which have been issued based on BS. Come in contact with a federal LEO and be in possession you run the chance of getting your day severely ruined. Those plants for "personal use".... the IRS is more than happy to tax you on what you could make from them. Not to mention that possession of weight above that deemed for "personal use" can be and sometimes is charged as possession with intent to distribute under California law.

paul0660
07-14-2012, 1:36 PM
You really don't know who his kids are and what their accomplish. A stoner is an issue, someone who uses marijuana responsibly isn't, and the majority of marijuana users do use it responsibly. Just like guns, you cannot attack a minority when the majority are responsible.

As long as his kids aren't selling weed to their friends or trying to grow weed then I doubt it'll be an issue. Especially if the guns are locked up.

I know what I am talking about, you are spouting toker BS. I have been up and down both sides of this street, and only have an opinion. Like I said to the OP, good luck.

hawk1
07-14-2012, 1:43 PM

You must have missed the part about "My two boys are pot users, recreationally even one of them have a MJ card. None of them do have medical condition as a reason to use pot, legally."...

If they're old enough to "use" pot, then they're old enough to get out on their own.

Eirerogue
07-14-2012, 1:44 PM
I just can't understand why your asking for advice? As a responsible gun owner, you KNOW the answer.

HowardW56
07-14-2012, 1:50 PM

Very foolish statement...

Bruceisontarget
07-14-2012, 2:02 PM
I remember when I was a teen, long long time ago, my best friend was caught smoking pot by his father. The next day when we came home from school, we went into his room and all we saw was a matress and his clothes... everything else was gone. His Dad told him that as long as he chose to live as a "pot head" he'd suffer a "pot head's future." He also said "Whats mine is mine and whats yours is also mine."
Needless to say, it took along time for my friend to win back his father's trust.
You should be aware that anything your sons do on your property can be a liability on you. Especially if they are legal adults.

CSACANNONEER
07-14-2012, 2:05 PM
It doesn't make a difference if pot is not illegal on a state level. The simple fact is that, California is still a part of the USA and pot is illegal ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY! It's time to explain that to your kids and give them the option of being law abiding adult citizens who can sponge off their parents or, being homeless criminals. Either way, they need to respect their parents enough to keep their parents safe from prosecution and possibly loosing their vehicles or house.

CSACANNONEER
07-14-2012, 2:09 PM

Did I miss something? Did California secede from the Union? Or, are you just so stoned that you can't comprehend the fact that ALL FEDERAL LAWS APPLY TO EVERYWHERE IN THE US?

phil conrad
07-14-2012, 2:14 PM
If they're old enough to "use" pot, then they're old enough to get out on their own.[/QUOTE]

No kidding.

Capybara
07-14-2012, 3:03 PM
Recreational pot smokers usually = losers. Not necessarily that pot is evil or bad for you, but I smoked it as a kid and as an adult, I still have lots of neighbors who do. It tends to make people into beanbag chairs, they just lay there like a lump.

Regardless of what the state laws say, you live in a state that is just searching, itching to take your guns away, your kids are indulging in a past time under your roof that could endanger your rights. I would give them the boot.

Paul S
07-14-2012, 3:11 PM
Is it possible we have fallen for the posting of a troll? Just sayin'.....

wash
07-14-2012, 3:13 PM
As a civil rights activist, I chose that I would be a gun owner. Because of that I am not a drug user.

It is equally valid to choose drug use and protect yourself by not exposing yourself to the scrutiny, additional laws and sentence enhancements that gun ownership gives you.

Mixing the two is stupid.

In California, you will probably be fine if your sons just smoke dope and you keep your gun ownership low profile.

If you want to do gun rights activism, it's not going to work because a pot bust would look bad.

If your sons grow, sell or even just attract attention by being marijuana legalization advocates, that could end badly as well.

Choose one.

Gun ownership is actually kind of opposite of pot because Ca laws are more strict than federal while Ca marijuana laws are more lenient than federal. If you choose guns, you mostly have to worry about Ca laws while choosing pot means the federal laws are always hanging over you.

odysseus
07-14-2012, 3:17 PM
Oh look, another MJ thread??? Wooo hooooo!

On the topic, if they can be so bold as to recreationally get high under your roof and you are a parent, sounds about time they get their own place and respect your wishes, yes? That's my first tact. You don't want this conflict you are writing about, yes? Follow your rules since it is your house or GTFO. I can't believe I am reading this....but I was raised somewhat old school.

This story has a core issue of respect (and love) of a child for his parents. Sounds like that needs some correction, reminders, or a hard wake up call.

Be careful, if your kids have dealer weight at anytime in your home at the same time the Feds find out, you can loose your home.

Hey this is a good point. You think you know what's going on, but their may be a lot more to what is happening you don't know. And what you don't know might jeopardize you in various ways - not just from LE but from people looking to rob.

TRICKSTER
07-14-2012, 3:17 PM
It's quite simple. Your house, your rules. If they want to smoke pot, they need to move out. If they want to live there, no pot. (This is if they are 18 or older, If they are under 18, time to be the parent and do what was described in post #21).
"The next day when we came home from school, we went into his room and all we saw was a matress and his clothes... everything else was gone. His Dad told him that as long as he chose to live as a "pot head" he'd suffer a "pot head's future." He also said "Whats mine is mine and whats yours is also mine."

Catalyst81
07-14-2012, 3:27 PM
How old are your kids? Old enough to kick out? If you want to know the legal ramifications you need to talk to an attorney. I'd put an end to it if I were you.

guns4life
07-14-2012, 3:35 PM
If the OP isn't toking up then he has nothing to worry about other than the enforcemet of his rules in his home. "The government is coming" is not a scapegoat, decide how you want your home run and make it so.

hawk1
07-14-2012, 3:47 PM
If the OP isn't toking up then he has nothing to worry about other than the enforcemet of his rules in his home. "The government is coming" is not a scapegoat, decide how you want your home run and make it so.

The "government" may come, if the kids do something stupid to make that happen. To rule it out completely and act as if nothing will happen, is not the smartest. Especially when it concerns his rights...

kauaibuilt
07-14-2012, 4:16 PM
You guys ever watch "DEA" on spike.... They bust the buyer who then gives up the seller, who gives up the distributor, who gives up... Its easy to see how this can go from recreational use to full blown conspiracy charges or worse.

pgg
07-14-2012, 4:43 PM
OP, if you're concerned about someone bringing the law down on your house because of their illegal activity, but you don't care enough or aren't capable of putting an end to that activity, there's only one correct answer here that you have full control over: get rid of your guns.

Otherwise, be sure to bump this thread when That Day comes.

GMG
07-14-2012, 4:44 PM
It seems to me the " parent " needs some parenting. I would never have let it get to the point of asking on a public forum while wringing my hands and asking what should I do.

You smoke dope in my house, your out on your azz, period!

Gray Peterson
07-14-2012, 4:59 PM
If your sons grow, sell or even just attract attention by being marijuana legalization advocates, that could end badly as well.

Choose one.

Gun ownership is actually kind of opposite of pot because Ca laws are more strict than federal while Ca marijuana laws are more lenient than federal. If you choose guns, you mostly have to worry about Ca laws while choosing pot means the federal laws are always hanging over you.

I'm a legalization supporter, but that's because of my libertarian leanings against government regulation of things that cause no harm to anyone but themselves in that sense. I don't use, would not use, and it's never allowed in any shape or form on my property or in my house. That's an instant 86 & trespass.

That all being said, gun rights advocacy is my primary thing, along with marriage and equality issues. Don't assume that because I'm a supporter of marijuana deregulation that I use or people I associate with do. Obviously these two adult teens are users that attract attention to their usage.

Sleepy McGee
07-14-2012, 5:12 PM
Oh look, another MJ thread??? Wooo hooooo!

On the topic, if they can be so bold as to recreationally get high under your roof and you are a parent, sounds about time they get their own place and respect your wishes, yes? That's my first tact. You don't want this conflict you are writing about, yes? Follow your rules since it is your house or GTFO. I can't believe I am reading this....but I was raised somewhat old school.

This story has a core issue of respect (and love) of a child for his parents. Sounds like that needs some correction, reminders, or a hard wake up call.

Hey this is a good point. You think you know what's going on, but their may be a lot more to what is happening you don't know. And what you don't know might jeopardize you in various ways - not just from LE but from people looking to rob.

QFT!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aldous Huxley, On psychological totalitarianism (1959):
"And it seems to me perfectly in the cards that there will be within the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing ... a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda, brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods.

guns4life
07-14-2012, 5:17 PM
The "government" may come, if the kids do something stupid to make that happen. To rule it out completely and act as if nothing will happen, is not the smartest. Especially when it concerns his rights...

The goveremt may come for a myriad of reasons, on any day with or without just cause...nobody is immune from that.

hornswaggled
07-14-2012, 5:19 PM
Switch them to alcohol, that's legal and therefore surely safer than pot. Oh wait.

Bargearse
07-14-2012, 5:27 PM
It seems to me the " parent " needs some parenting. I would never have let it get to the point of asking on a public forum while wringing my hands and asking what should I do.

You smoke dope in my house, your out on your azz, period!

Probably yes you're right. I should have clarified that I am a STEP-dad. Hence, it's very difficult for me handling this situation with my STEP-boys

All of your response given are priceless and had given me great thoughts on this issue

Thanks again

SilverTauron
07-14-2012, 5:43 PM
My two boys are pot users, recreationally even one of them have a MJ card. None of them do have medical condition as a reason to use pot, legally. However I am very concerned about my boys drug use in my home. I have several firearms in my safe but my wife knows the combination to it..

I am not a drug user and what's the legal ramifications for me if an LEO or an Agent from various departments visits my home and they said they have some complainant regarding to the smell. Could they have the RAS to enter and inspect in my home or in my car?

Please advise?

(a) Schedule I shall consist of the drugs and other substances, by whatever official name, common or usual name, chemical name, or brand name designated, listed in this section. Each drug or substance has been assigned the DEA Controlled Substances Code Number set forth opposite it.

(31) Tetrahydrocannabinols 7370

Meaning tetrahydrocannabinols naturally contained in a plant of the genus Cannabis (cannabis plant), as well as synthetic equivalents of the substances contained in the cannabis plant, or in the resinous extractives of such plant, and/or synthetic substances, derivatives, and their isomers with similar chemical structure and pharmacological activity to those substances contained in the plant...

Source :http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1308/1308_11.htm

Health and Safety Code 11359
ß11359~ Penalty for possessing to sell.

Every person who possesses for sale any marijuana, except as otherwise provided by law, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

http://www.canorml.org/laws/hsc11359.html

First problem:as far as the Feds are concerned MJ is just as illegal as Cocaine and other hard drugs.We may not agree with this perspective, but the law is the law. Medical Card or no, the DEA can still obtain a Federal warrant to break down your door and search the premises for drugs. Its almost certain the agents serving the warrant will demand access to the safe.

They WILL get access to it one way or the other-either from the OP providing the combination, or the offended DEA agents calling in a locksmith to crack it open incident to the warrant. What happens from there is up to your fine guests from the Drug Enforcement Agency.Good news, there's no listed law mandating confiscation of firearms incident to a drug warrant if they're not involved. Bad news is that the decision of whether or not you keep the guns rests with the Federal Government;there's also no law stopping the DEA from taking the guns in for "ballistic testing", after which I highly doubt you'll ever see them again.Its also possible they don't do anything more than run the serial numbers to check if they're stolen.

Best course of action;no drugs in the building under any circumstances. I have a standing rule with visitors to my house;no weed, no X, no none of that BS. People from all walks of life use narcotics;its not just the tweaked out guy in the alley getting high. Your bar conquest could be a drug user-so could your pal from work. Im not judging what someone does with their time or money, but they won't be bringing that stuff into my home. I do NOT need a 2AM wake up call by the DEA nor the likely permanent loss of my weapons to police confiscation as a result of their house call. I imagine, OP, you don't want that either.

Get the drugs out of the building;and if you cannot do that,at minimum get your firearms somewhere out of the reach of a potential search warrant.I posted the link regarding the CA law regarding drug sales , because even though state law may protect medical use of MJ it does NOT permit the sale of it. Should JR. be moonlighting in the dealer business that could spell trouble from local authorities as well as Federal.

Kharn
07-14-2012, 6:06 PM
Weed is federally illegal, add guns and the local AUSA will love the chance to be on the evening news.
You're gambling that the feds will never have a reason to take interest in you.

corcoraj2002
07-14-2012, 6:06 PM
Also, if your kids are arrested in your house, for a drug related crime, depending on the location of your weapons the charge could be enhanced due to the presence of a firearm.

blazeaglory
07-14-2012, 7:08 PM
OP, Seriously. If your sons have a medical recommendation there is no argument under CA law. Federal law is different.

And why would you say one of your sons has a MJ card but then go on to say that he has no legitimate medical reason to use MJ?? If your so worried about getting caught up, that would not be a very smart thing to say. the phrase "TMI" comes to mind.

If your worried, tell them to stop smoking or kick them out. But in all seriousness, you have nothing to worry about. You should tell your other son to get his MJ card so that BOTH your sons have MJ cards and keep quiet about thinking your sons have no legitimate reason to smoke MJ. There are literally a THOUSAND ailments for MJ.

If the house is in your name and your sons claim the pot isnt theirs you might have some problems.

Wiz-of-Awd
07-14-2012, 7:10 PM
...if anyone in the home is caught selling it...

And here is your caveat.

A.W.D.

seanschevy
07-14-2012, 7:17 PM
as a young guy who moves from place to place fairly often I have wrried about roommates smoking

luckily I have always roomed with older people who didn't partake but I have often wondered the legalities of having my handgun in a small but locked safe in my own room, and my roommate smoking in his

until I got my own place I always worried about someone smoking when I am asleep or gone so I wouldn't notice. I mean i never told about my pistol since it was locked and hidden, maybe they had their own secrets

dfletcher
07-14-2012, 7:17 PM
Well without getting into the legal issues or relative right or wrong, fair or not fair, whoever said "pot or guns - pick one" on another thread gets my vote.

And I'd be aware of God's great banana skin, aka "unintended consequences". Never know what odd, unrelated thing may happen that get's the cops at or around or in your home before an "oh sh*t" moment occurs.

Wiz-of-Awd
07-14-2012, 7:18 PM
...decide how you want your home run and make it so.

This is really the core [and most important] answer to your question.

A.W.D.

drifter2be
07-14-2012, 7:19 PM

This^

/Thread

blazeaglory
07-14-2012, 7:28 PM
GEEEEIT EOUWT!

RRangel
07-14-2012, 7:54 PM

FYI. The BATFE have officially indicated that "medical marijuana patients" can be considered addicts or illegal drug users. That cannot posses firearms. There are no exceptions in the federal law.

Example MSNBC article on the BATFE's stance on the matter (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44712648/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/do-medical-marijuana-users-have-right-bear-arms-no-says-atf/).

Ron-Solo
07-14-2012, 9:17 PM
If the police come with a warrant for drugs, it will include locked containers such as safes. Anything that can hold drugs would be within the scope of the warrant.

If they can tie the guns into drug sales, they can be seized and you will have to fight to get the back.

Medical marijuana cards canbe obtained easily, for a price. The system is a joke.

watersports500
07-14-2012, 9:32 PM
Your kids, your house, your rules... MAN-UP

gunsmith
07-14-2012, 10:26 PM
my friend got investigated, in San Francisco, simply due to the odor of the really good weed he was smoking, the cops FREAKED OUT when they found some ammo. They tore the place apart looking for guns.

Weed should be legal, but its not. DO NOT VIOLATE the "only one stupid thing at a time rule" if you wish to avoid prison.

If weed was legal I would say do not be a smoker and a firearms owner, but its a serious FEDERAL crime, even in CA to mix the two.

paul0660
07-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Probably yes you're right. I should have clarified that I am a STEP-dad. Hence, it's very difficult for me handling this situation with my STEP-boys

All of your response given are priceless and had given me great thoughts on this issue

Thanks again

This is not an easy deal.
For the third time, good luck.

ocpokesmot
07-14-2012, 10:40 PM
All pot heads are losers and have no life, money or will to live. And gun owners are all armed and dangerous people with the intent to kill your neighbor and steal there supplies if shi* ever hits the fan! Lets grow up people.

paul0660
07-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Their.

Not there.

Talk about a slow one hit out of the park!

Quiet
07-14-2012, 10:53 PM
FYI. The BATFE have officially indicated that "medical marijuana patients" can be considered addicts or illegal drug users. That cannot posses firearms. There are no exceptions in the federal law.

What he said.

09-21-2011, BATFE letter to FFL dealers medical marijuana. (http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2011/09/092611-atf-open-letter-to-all-ffls-marijuana-for-medicinal-purposes.pdf)

Therefore, any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawfuly user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.

sharxbyte
07-15-2012, 1:01 AM
Besides the fact that I don't like feeling stupid or slow, or being (more) easily distracted, and besides the fact that it's federally illegal (which I am very much aware of), one MAJOR reason I am not a user (even though I could get it for pain management or just about any other BS reason) is because it would stop me from being able to own guns. that alone even if it was legal otherwise, would be enough for me to stay away.

Turbinator
07-15-2012, 1:09 AM
I just want to remind the OP and everyone else in this thread that Federal and local LE *do* read Calguns, and based on discussions here, Californians HAVE gotten into trouble for things they've done.

Just FYI.

Turby

Lionsfeast
07-15-2012, 4:09 AM
1. The thing is that weed is a schedule 1 drug, and depending on the circumstances , you could end up with a felony on your record if the FEDs poke their nose into your home, and that means no more guns for life.

2. It's highly unlikely that your kids will ever be targeted by the FEDs if they're only recreational users (there are millions of them in the US), so that's not really the issue here.

3. Your problem is that you have two stoners in your house. I was a pothead for many years, and yes it does have its pros (you get to tune-out reality, for one), but it also kills your dreams, stunts your emotional growth, and- unless you got your act together prior to becoming a pot head there is good chance your kids will be losers.

EM2
07-15-2012, 6:58 AM

I don't exactly know the answer to your question, but as geek said it probably doesn't matter.

Your big problem is stoner kids. They rarely amount to anything. A number of people will opine that that is not the case, but that is just proving that the exception proves the rule.

Good luck.

Advice? How about man-ing up and putting a stop to it.

If they're old enough to "use" pot, then they're old enough to get out on their own.

Either way, they need to respect their parents enough to keep their parents safe from prosecution and possibly loosing their vehicles or house.

All the above are great advice, seriously consider kicking them to the curb.
My dad told us kids (3boys/3girls) that if we did not have a job, or go to college that upon our 18th birthday he would boot us out.
Well he did just that to my younger brother, on his birthday. Woke his lazy *** up and kicked him out.
That is how it should be done, it ainít rocket science.

Thanks again

What difference does it make that they be step sons?
Did you marry into her house or yours?
You are still the man of the house and as such you are responsible for the HEALTH & SECURITY of all those living with you.

VAReact
07-15-2012, 8:27 AM
GEEEEIT EOUWT!

Nice! All things Scottish!

IVC
07-15-2012, 8:56 AM
I'm a legalization supporter, but that's because of my libertarian leanings against government regulation of things that cause no harm to anyone but themselves in that sense.

Using illegal drugs provides direct, material support to drug cartels worldwide and organized criminal gangs in the US. Anyone doing it even "recreationally" provides salaries of the cartel hitmen responsible for some of the most gruesome murders of late. There is plenty of harm done to others by using illegal drugs, just that types who like to use "recreational drugs" are also the types who like not to be held responsible for anything.

I keep emphasizing the word "illegal" because legalization of the demand side would rectify the harm done to others. However, the current decriminalization of use (demand side) without full legalization and with highly criminalized production (supply side) is the worst possible solution that allows not only existence of gangs in the US, but also drug cartels in Mexico and rogue regimes worldwide.

For those who fight for legalization under the concept of "it doesn't hurt others," please make sure you always explain that until it's legalized, "recreational use" indeed hurts others in very gruesome ways. In short, much like we don't carry without LTC, folks should not use drugs until they are legalized.

I don't use, would not use, and it's never allowed in any shape or form on my property or in my house. That's an instant 86 & trespass.

This is the main advice to all gun owners. Ignore at your own peril.

hylander
07-15-2012, 9:10 AM

+1
Illegal drug users have no place being around guns

mtsul
07-15-2012, 9:10 AM
I don't do drugs its not worth a chance of losing my rights freedom or clear thinking I would try to do it the best way to keep the peace with the family but it would come down to doing unlawful acts and bringing controlled substances in the house or GTFO

paul0660
07-15-2012, 9:16 AM
I was a pothead for many years, and yes it does have its pros (you get to tune-out reality, for one), but it also kills your dreams, stunts your emotional growth, and- unless you got your act together prior to becoming a pot head there is good chance your kids will be losers.

Post of the year, so far. Thank you Lionsfeast. Pot is a seemingly friendly herb that does all the above, and is especially bad for adolescents. Teens, quite literally, don't get back the time they spend stoned.

SilverTauron
07-15-2012, 9:20 AM
Yet another reason for the OP to immediately set junior right regarding MJ is the criminal aspect of its use. I'm not talking about smoking or selling the stuff, but im referencing the greater motivation for crooks to target the OP's home.

Scumbags see drug users as ideal burglary/home invasion targets;they get to steal drugs which can be easily re-sold for profit , and the victim is discouraged from calling the cops on account of the illegal weed. Because of the money potential being greater than a typical home invasion, a drug "rip" offers a greater danger of violence since the bad guys will be coming in loaded and ready for a shootout. That kind of risk isn't justified for a standard home burglary;but a drug den offers the kind of profit motive where a felon might rationally decide the payoff is worth getting shot over.

That's just the organized side of things, which is a remote but serious concern. The son could invite company over to get high,and said "company" may decide he'd rather take the entire stash for himself-over the son's dead body if necessary. Should you be forced to shoot an attacker dead because he was invited by your son to get high illegally, that will decidedly not look good in front of a judge.

jeep7081
07-15-2012, 9:37 AM
Using illegal drugs provides direct, material support to drug cartels worldwide and organized criminal gangs in the US. Anyone doing it even "recreationally" provides salaries of the cartel hitmen responsible for some of the most gruesome murders of late. There is plenty of harm done to others by using illegal drugs, just that types who like to use "recreational drugs" are also the types who like not to be held responsible for anything.

I keep emphasizing the word "illegal" because legalization of the demand side would rectify the harm done to others. However, the current decriminalization of use (demand side) without full legalization and with highly criminalized production (supply side) is the worst possible solution that allows not only existence of gangs in the US, but also drug cartels in Mexico and rogue regimes worldwide.

For those who fight for legalization under the concept of "it doesn't hurt others," please make sure you always explain that until it's legalized, "recreational use" indeed hurts others in very gruesome ways. In short, much like we don't carry without LTC, folks should not use drugs until they are legalized.

This is the main advice to all gun owners. Ignore at your own peril.

Great reply. Gray has a one dimensional way of looking at it. It does effect others in the form of crime and murder. So the end user can get away from reality for a few minutes. Next time a user inhales, think of how many lost their lives for them to have that option. Then tell me if effects no one but the end user.

wash
07-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't think you understand that legalization would end the drug war and put the cartels out of business.

That's the main reason why I support legalization.

Adults should be able to make informed decisions about what they injest but since I'm not a pot head that seems far less important than the practical matter of ending drug violence related to illegal sales, importation and cultivation.

Still choose one issue, not both.

1911su16b870
07-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Nope...not in my house.

FWIW I have first hand seen Marijuana use lead to domestic violence and a gun fight.

Nope...not once.

Eirerogue
07-15-2012, 1:00 PM
Drug legalization would NOT put the cartels out of business! Why do you think all these murders are occurring in Mexico?? Fighting for control of distribution plazas throughout the country! Legalize it here and who's supplying and at what price? the US government? Cartels will seek to distribute and undercut any legal pricing. And their markets in heroin, coke and meth will continue. What, you think they're only MJ distributors??

Think this thing through before jumping on the 'legalization will stop the problems' bandwagon.

Librarian
07-15-2012, 2:19 PM
Thread drift.

Ordinarily, I just move those; discussions of the drug problem, however, quickly descend into hurt feelings.

Rather than have that happen - again - just closed.