PDA

View Full Version : Saiga folding stock legality question...

honestcomrade
07-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Just finished (well, a few steps) of my Saiga conversion. It has pistol grip and solar tactical magazine lock. It has a 20" barrel and the overall length from crown to the end of the internal stock block is 29 3/4".

If I attach a Carolina Shooter's Supply Folding Mechanism (http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-171/ACE-SAIGA-FOLDING-MECHANISM/Detail), will the extra half inch or so of metal (the part that is attached to the internal block and doesn't fold) count as part of my OVERALL LENGTH?

If so I can legally have a folder, which is awesome because I won't so much regret buying the long *** barrel version of this rifle.

Quiet
07-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Per BATFE...
The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore.

Dantedamean
07-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Just to let you know a 12 gauge ( saiga ) can't have a folding stock at all or a collapsable one for that matter. Boo.
You just didn't specify and I figured I'd throw that out there.

honestcomrade
07-14-2012, 1:16 AM
The gun is chambered in 7.62x39

forgot to specify

thanks for all help so far.

stix213
07-14-2012, 2:53 AM
If that part actually puts you over 30" overall length then you are good to go. I can't speak for that part's length or your stated measurements of the rifle. If it were to be too short you could add a longer muzzle device to make up the difference.

honestcomrade
07-14-2012, 9:53 AM
while we're on the subject of muzzle devices...

If i were to install a slant brake, does the gun need to be measured from the shortest point of the slant brake? or can it be measured from the longest side?

paul0660
07-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Per BATFE...
The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore.

What does this mean?

For instance, if the pistol grip extends past 30 inches, and the back of the receiver does not.............eh?

Quiet
07-14-2012, 10:35 AM
What does this mean?

For instance, if the pistol grip extends past 30 inches, and the back of the receiver does not.............eh?
ATF graphic
http://www.atf.gov/graphics/firearms/importation-guidebook/nfa-antique-rifle-2.jpg

paul0660
07-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Thank you Quiet.