PDA

View Full Version : Help: Scraping sound while bullet seating

mroels
07-13-2012, 9:43 PM
I'm seating some .223 68gr hornady match bullets into black hills once fired cases. These have been FL sized, trimmed, chamfered, and deburred. It's making a scraping sound when seating the bullet, I can feel it even. I tried to seat one in a PMC case and no scraping effect. Tried a 69gr Sierra SMK and again scraping in the BHA brass but none in the pmc brass?

On a side note (mind you I'm still a newbie first time using anything but SMK bullets), are the 68grs supposed to be longer than the 69grs? The bullet itself?

NoNOS67
07-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Hmmm...compressed charge?

mroels
07-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Okay I should've probably mentioned I'm using Varget for the first time, and it's filling cases much more than ramshot TAC I've used up to now. The initial pmc case I seated in to compare didn't have any powder, now loaded a pmc case and yes there's the scraping, or I guess crunching sound.

mroels
07-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Ok read up it, guess its normal. Thanks for pointing me into the right direction NoNos

NoNOS67
07-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Ok read up it, guess its normal. Thanks for pointing me into the right direction NoNos

Glad I could help! I've grown somewhat fond of that sound. :)

Innovative
07-15-2012, 6:34 AM
mroels ........

Some bullets will get shaved by the brass during seating - even with a chamfered case mouth. When you chamfer your brass, be sure to use a VLD reamer. The chamfer angle is more important with some bullets than others. Also, don't forget to clean the inside of your case necks.

mroels
07-15-2012, 12:21 PM
In this case it really was just the powder compression. But thanks for the advice. Reading up on vld reamers I will have to get one since I pretty much only load boat tail bullets. Any advice on brand?

Innovative
07-15-2012, 2:33 PM
mroels .........

The brand isn't important, but the angle is. Just make sure it's a VLD reamer. I got mine from Sinclair, and I use it for seating all types of rifle bullets.

Along that line of bullet thought, be sure to clean the inside of your case necks.

I've found that the most accurate handloads seldom use a compressed charge.