PDA

View Full Version : Best gun cleaner/lube

2900fps
07-13-2012, 4:06 PM
I'm new to the forums, I'm not a total newb to guns, but I am new to owning and maintaining guns. I Just got my first rifle (A 10/22 tactical),and I was wondering what the best cleaner and lubricant (that I don't have to order online) is. Sorry if there are similar threads I just couldn't find any by searching. Thanks!

tbhracing
07-13-2012, 4:08 PM
Tagged

NoHeavyHitter
07-13-2012, 4:16 PM
This is certain to become a heated topic...

While there are numerous products that will work very well, I wind up using more CLP Breakfree than anything else, and I keep about a half dozen different chemicals that are best suited to specific tasks.

BajaJames83
07-13-2012, 4:24 PM
Mobil 1
Engines take more abuse than any firearm will ever.

oddjob
07-13-2012, 6:46 PM
I use Liquid Wrench on the parts and let the gun soak (after field strip of course). Let it set on newspapers for a movie or so. Scrub the areas with a toothbrush or a soft metal brush. Then use brake cleaner to blow the junk off. Lube up and your done.

Putting Mobil 1 on the dirty areas works good too. Also a good lube.

Look up some you tube videos on cleaning 10/22's. I'm sure some are there. That can help as well.

Gringo Bandito
07-13-2012, 7:04 PM
I'm new to the forums, I'm not a total newb to guns, but I am new to owning and maintaining guns. I Just got my first rifle (A 10/22 tactical),and I was wondering what the best cleaner and lubricant (that I don't have to order online) is. Sorry if there are similar threads I just couldn't find any by searching. Thanks!

Congrats on buying your first gun! The 10/22 is a great rifle and you will have a great time shooting it and eventually adding some new items to it along the way. Do yourself a favor and get an upgraded bolt buffer to reduce wear on the bolt.

Now on to your question. Buy a good gun scrubber(spray can) for cleaning the internal parts, Hopps elite from wally world for the bore and some CLP for lube and you will be in good shape.

I use shooters choice (bore cleaner) along with the items listed above and like that combo quite a bit.

2900fps
07-13-2012, 8:21 PM
Thanks for the response guys! Where do you think the best place to buy cleaning stuff (in the Dublin/Pleasanton area) is? Is dom's in Livermore any good? And thanks for the suggestion, I'll get an upgraded bolt buffer pretty soon.

Gringo Bandito
07-13-2012, 8:39 PM
You can get the basics at Wally world or certainly check out j&r in Livermore. Most of what I mentioned has been purchased at the ptown Walmart.