PDA

View Full Version : Any 10 day wait update?

erik_26
07-13-2012, 2:12 PM
I lost track of this. For some reason (maybe I was dreaming) I thought there was an effort to repeal or at least reduce the 10-day wait?

If not for the first gun purchase, at least for subsequent purchases?

It is ludicrous to have a 10 day wait for every gun you purchase.

Consider this, a 21 year old buys their first hand gun and waits 10 days. After their first gun they are hooked on shooting sports and gun collecting. Over their lifetime ~60 years from 21 they purchase 60 guns (only 1 a year). They will spend 600 days (almost two full years of their life) waiting for their guns.

Any updates?

em9sredbeam
07-13-2012, 2:14 PM
Meanwhile....In Free America.. Come on we all know it isn't going to get any better in this state. Why even post to get people dreaming again..

Capybara
07-13-2012, 2:25 PM
I thought there was something in the pipeline that had the tiniest glimmer of hope that we could go to three day. Not a lot better but it would be a little better.

Dantedamean
07-13-2012, 2:27 PM
There was a bill. I don't remember the number, but it naturally got shot down.
It really pissed me off too, because in the analysis they had a paragraph of input from the Brady bunch. Those f*ckers have way too much influence over our laws.

Edit: I found the email
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_1569&sess=CUR&house=B&search_type=email

JackRydden224
07-13-2012, 2:28 PM
Honestly, this probably isn't the worst gun law around. You can only fight so many fights at once.

In my opinion I would want to get rid of the hand gun roster and magazine capacity first.

mdimeo
07-13-2012, 2:32 PM
In my opinion I would want to get rid of the hand gun roster and magazine capacity first.

Carry first. Everything else is merely annoying. :)

erik_26
07-13-2012, 2:38 PM
Honestly, this probably isn't the worst gun law around. You can only fight so many fights at once.

I know there is a lot of fighting to do. I just thought I remember that the 10 day wait was up to bat (at the time). I thought I remember that it might get reduced to 3 days. But then I lost track and was looking for an update.

Carry is a good one to go after for sure. I just wish we didn't have to pick and prioritize the fight. Should be all in and freedom for all.

wash
07-13-2012, 2:52 PM
The correct priorities in out civil rights fight is to first go after everything we can win.

Then you build on your victories.

Some things might seem to be done out of sequence or ignored but it's simply because more important things are being done.

watsonville
07-13-2012, 7:50 PM
The sun will rise tomorrow.

As for changing are ridiculous gun laws there's to much corruption and gang/drug problems in Cali. Being that we are the base for mexicos drug smuggling operations. I mean we don't need to protect ourselves. We have the gobernment for that

HowardW56
07-13-2012, 8:11 PM
Sylvester, et al. v. Harris, et al.
Assigned to: Chief Judge Anthony W. Ishii
Referred to: Magistrate Judge Sheila K. Oberto
Cause: 28:1331 Federal Question: Other Civil Rights

SCHEDULING ORDER: signed by Magistrate Judge Sheila K. Oberto on 5/15/2012. Non-Dispositive Motions filed by 9/25/2013. Dispositive Motions filed by 10/30/2013, Pretrial Conference set for 1/29/2014 at 08:30 AM in Courtroom 2 (AWI) before Chief Judge Anthony W. Ishii. Bench Trial (7 Days) set for 3/25/2014 at 08:30 AM in Courtroom 2 (AWI) before Chief Judge Anthony W. Ishii (Kusamura, W) (Entered: 05/15/2012)

Dantedamean
07-13-2012, 8:40 PM
Sylvester, et al. v. Harris, et al.
Assigned to: Chief Judge Anthony W. Ishii
Referred to: Magistrate Judge Sheila K. Oberto
Cause: 28:1331 Federal Question: Other Civil Rights

SCHEDULING ORDER: signed by Magistrate Judge Sheila K. Oberto on 5/15/2012. Non-Dispositive Motions filed by 9/25/2013. Dispositive Motions filed by 10/30/2013, Pretrial Conference set for 1/29/2014 at 08:30 AM in Courtroom 2 (AWI) before Chief Judge Anthony W. Ishii. Bench Trial (7 Days) set for 3/25/2014 at 08:30 AM in Courtroom 2 (AWI) before Chief Judge Anthony W. Ishii (Kusamura, W) (Entered: 05/15/2012)

2014?? Our system sucks.

HowardW56
07-13-2012, 8:51 PM
2014?? Our system sucks.

The wheels of justice move slowly...

wildhawker
07-13-2012, 8:59 PM
And they'll probably move faster than what's docketed at present.

-Brandon

HowardW56
07-13-2012, 9:11 PM
And they'll probably move faster than what's docketed at present.

-Brandon

We can always hope.......

bandook
07-13-2012, 9:14 PM
I lost track of this. F...
Any updates?

Yup!
These days, a lot of gun stores will have you come back on the 11th (10 + 1) Day. :TFH:

IVC
07-13-2012, 9:29 PM
Well, 2014 is still better than 2024... Nordykes were in the loop for over ten years...

12GAUGE
07-13-2012, 9:38 PM
The wheels of justice move slowly...

Move slowly or not at all?
Really what law have been reversed? I cant think of any. More just keep getting added.

JackRydden224
07-13-2012, 9:42 PM
I know there is a lot of fighting to do. I just thought I remember that the 10 day wait was up to bat (at the time). I thought I remember that it might get reduced to 3 days. But then I lost track and was looking for an update.

I'm looking at the magazine CPRA sent me and it says SB1569 which is to reduce the waiting time to 3 days failed passage on 4/27/12. Now I have no idea what failed passage means. What happens after failed passage?

stix213
07-13-2012, 11:49 PM
You guys are crazy. Everyone knows your murderous rage goes away after 10 days, and you can't commit a crime with a 10 day old gun.

mosinnagantm9130
07-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Move slowly or not at all?
Really what law have been reversed? I cant think of any. More just keep getting added.

AB 962.

Not to mention the handgun ban schemes in Chicago and D.C.

bandook
07-14-2012, 9:49 AM
AB 962.

Not to mention the handgun ban schemes in Chicago and D.C.

Technically, AB962 was a new vague law that never went into effect as it attempted a partial blanket ban on non-ftf ammo sales. The court rightly opined that you either have a partial ban where you spell out what exactly is banned, or you have a blanket ban. Partial blankets are too confusing.
Not quite the same as an existing law being overturned.

Generally, the laws that impact everyone are, mag limits, 10 day wait, handgun roster and the 'assault weapon' ban, and the 1-in-30 handgun purchase limit.

Heller/macDonald victories are academic. Chicago hasn't exactly turned into a Mecca for handguns. It's still business as usual. So while they are important stepping stones, they are just that, stepping stones.

Everything else is 'in the works', so my advice is... Don't plan on any of these laws changing soon. Having said that, when thing do move, they'll move quickly.

OleCuss
07-14-2012, 9:54 AM
I'm looking at the magazine CPRA sent me and it says SB1569 which is to reduce the waiting time to 3 days failed passage on 4/27/12. Now I have no idea what failed passage means. What happens after failed passage?

In this case, I believe it means it got killed in committee. In any case, it's dead.

Hopalong
07-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Agreed.

SmallShark
07-14-2012, 3:31 PM
pull all the money and effort together to get rid of the "10 round non-sense" first

also the 50 cal ban, even there is not a single record of any crime involving a 50 cal firearm in the entire US history

HowardW56
07-14-2012, 3:44 PM
pull all the money and effort together to get rid of the "10 round non-sense" first

also the 50 cal ban, even there is not a single record of any crime involving a 50 cal firearm in the entire US history

There are other issues higher on the priority list....

10 Round limit is on the list, just not in the order some would prefer..

mosinnagantm9130
07-14-2012, 4:02 PM

Both are on the to do list, just lower priority than other things.

Gene has said there is some sort of work around/lawsuit over the 10 round limit ready to roll, but it's waiting on the outcome of another case IIRC.

kaligaran
07-14-2012, 5:01 PM
The 10 day wait is annoying since we have to register handguns (and long guns soon) so the state knows damn well you have a gun already.

I like the way FL does it (as a lesser of 2 evils). There's a 3 day wait on handguns unless you have a CCW then it's cash and carry. And no wait on long guns. Since you don't have to register handguns in FL, they know if you have a CCW, it's not your first handgun purchase.

But I agree with the other posters talking about picking your battles. I don't know about you guys but I maybe buy 1 gun a year so that inconvinience is not as big as the other crazy CA laws (like being concerned someone will think my AR is a AW or having the mag restrictions, etc.)

erik_26
07-14-2012, 5:19 PM
I like the way FL does it (as a lesser of 2 evils). There's a 3 day wait on handguns unless you have a CCW then it's cash and carry.

Problem is in some counties you just can't get a LTC.

t0kie
07-14-2012, 5:42 PM

Agree with this!

SilverTauron
07-14-2012, 6:44 PM
The dangerous thing about waiting periods is that it denies a citizen the ability to defend themselves in case of a sudden threat. We do not live in a world where bad guys, bad ex boyfriends, and stalker criminals send 10 day courtesy emails before trying to break down the door at 3am. If someone ends up being a target for a vengeful ex, they have to wait 10 days to get a gun to secure the home. That's a long week and a half under those circumstances.

RMP91
07-14-2012, 6:58 PM
You could always get a C&R FFL and bypass the whole thing completely (the 10 day wait I mean).

It only applies to C&R guns though...

But there are some good C&Rs that would make decent HD weapons.

Capybara
07-14-2012, 7:04 PM
Carry first, hear, hear. All of these others are merely annoying, carry is a matter of life and death sometimes. Although I could see 10 days being a matter of life and death as well.

senorpeligro
07-14-2012, 9:18 PM
You could always get a C&R FFL and bypass the whole thing completely (the 10 day wait I mean).

It only applies to C&R guns though...

But there are some good C&Rs that would make decent HD weapons.

Mosins!!!!! OK, no.

kaligaran
07-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Problem is in some counties you just can't get a LTC.

Yeah, I know and I really do hate that about this state. But that wasn't my point of including that in the post. This was just making sure I was thorough in my description of the handgun purchase procedure in FL.

I went on to say:
Since you don't have to register handguns in FL, they know if you have a CCW, it's not your first handgun purchase.

The point was that since we do have to register handguns in CA, the state knows you already own whereas FL only knows if you have a CCW. :)

erik_26
07-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I wish there was a way to speed the court process up.

There is no reason it should take 10+ years to get anything done.

Dantedamean
07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
I wish there was a way to speed the court process up.

There is no reason it should take 10+ years to get anything done.

Especially when it only takes 6 months to pass new legislation.

Dantedamean
07-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Gene has said there is some sort of work around/lawsuit over the 10 round limit ready to roll, but it's waiting on the outcome of another case IIRC.

Do you know what the case is that he is waiting for and what the timeline is?

HowardW56
07-15-2012, 11:58 AM

For right now, the lawyers are swamped... All of the cases that had been stayed pending the outcome of Nordyle are starting to ramp up again...

I'm sure Gene has a handle on the time frame...

Sidewinder9mm
07-15-2012, 6:30 PM
Event with a trade - 10 day wait!!!! This is total insanity!!! Two law abiding citizens walk into an FFL each with legal firearms to conduct a transfer. Completes the necessary paperwork.... both guns go to lockup for 10-days!!!! Why????

erik_26
07-15-2012, 6:50 PM
Event with a trade - 10 day wait!!!! This is total insanity!!! Two law abiding citizens walk into an FFL each with legal firearms to conduct a transfer. Completes the necessary paperwork.... both guns go to lockup for 10-days!!!! Why????

Welcome to Calguns!

It is because the people that write and pass the laws want to make it so inconvenient for us that we are deterred from pursuing our constitutional rights.

mosinnagantm9130
07-15-2012, 7:22 PM

Gene had said it was a case that was unrelated to firearms IIRC, I don't remember the timeline if there was one.

erik_26
08-24-2012, 8:28 PM
Man I hate this 10-day wait.

I bought a new gun yesterday. My buddy, 1500+ miles away (as the crow flys) bought the exact same gun today (funny because he didn't know I bought one yesterday) and he got to take his home after his background check. Took him 15-minutes.

I wont get mine for another 9 days.

This law (along with a lot of other california gun laws) is such a joke.

I wish we could get this law removed.

fizux
08-24-2012, 8:56 PM
Especially when it only takes 6 months to pass new legislation.

I disagree. It took Chicago 4 days after the decision in McDonald to pass a new comprehensive near-ban. Of course, the only reason for the delay was they held "fact finding hearings" where they flew in a bunch of antis from their ivory towers to testify about how the world would come to an end absent oppressive gun control.

Clownpuncher
08-24-2012, 9:26 PM
I disagree. It took Chicago 4 days after the decision in McDonald to pass a new comprehensive near-ban. Of course, the only reason for the delay was they held "fact finding hearings" where they flew in a bunch of antis from their ivory towers to testify about how the world would come to an end absent oppressive gun control.

Meanwhile.... Last night in Chicago 19 people were shot in an 8 hour span. Guess their "fact finding" is blown out of the water. :rolleyes:

fizux
08-24-2012, 9:37 PM
Meanwhile.... Last night in Chicago 19 people were shot in an 8 hour span. Guess their "fact finding" is blown out of the water. :rolleyes:

But just think about how many *more* people would have been killed if Chicago hadn't stood up to the evil NRA. Shootouts after every traffic accident, society would come to an end -- it would look like Raccoon City with undead everywhere!

SoCal Bob
08-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Man I hate this 10-day wait.

I bought a new gun yesterday. My buddy, 1500+ miles away (as the crow flys) bought the exact same gun today (funny because he didn't know I bought one yesterday) and he got to take his home after his background check. Took him 15-minutes.

I wont get mine for another 9 days.

This law (along with a lot of other california gun laws) is such a joke.

I wish we could get this law removed.

Another Calgunner and I recently traded handguns. We both walked into the shop with handguns and then had to wait 10 days for the State to decide if it is OK for us to own handguns. :rolleyes: