PDA

View Full Version : denied ammunition from midwayusa

daeji5
07-13-2012, 10:24 AM
tried buying hornady tap 75 grain jacketed hollow point from midwayusa's site and it got restricted to my los angeles address. When I began a live chat and asked [nicely] why the ammo was restricted he stated local laws, specifically:

"Chapter V, Article 5, 55.11

Los Angeles: no ammunition, Chapter V, Article 5, 55.11 c No vendor shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of firearm ammunition without at the time of purchase recording the following information on a form to be prescribed by the Board of Police Commissioners: 1. transaction date 2. name, address, date of birth 3. drivers license number 4. brand, type and amount of ammunition 5. signature 6. name of sales person. The vendor shall also at the time of purchase or transfer obtain the right thumb print of the purchaser on the above form."

i then asked him if he was referring to the AB962 that was overturned and got the response:

"It was overturned but local laws can still restrict it by making companies file paperwork that they must keep on file when transactions are made. The law that was overturned was for the entire state. I can send anywhere but the large cities."

what the heck is going on here. my heart aches...

zeddy
07-13-2012, 10:27 AM
That's why I don't live in the city of LA.

troysland
07-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Sucks, have it sent to a friend or relative outside city limits.

Paul S
07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
tried buying hornady tap 75 grain jacketed hollow point from midwayusa's site ........................................

"It was overturned but local laws can still restrict it by making companies file paperwork that they must keep on file when transactions are made. The law that was overturned was for the entire state. I can send anywhere but the large cities."

Sorry you got caught up in the morass of Los Angeles political liberalism.
I am however, pleasantly surprised at the knowledgeable answer you received from the Midway customer service rep.

Maltese Falcon
07-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Try using your community name instead, i.e., Woodland Hills, Studio City, etc?

ceedubG
07-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Ive been where you are..... There's not anything you can do unfortunately. Actually you can let Midway know since they have chosen to only selectively support California gun owners you will not be buying anything further form them and you will let the members of calguns.com know about their arbitrary sales practices.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=580523

Cowboy T
07-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Or, better yet, you can work to put candidates that actually respect liberty into office. Remember, we only get the government that We, the People, deserve. Right now, Californians are not working for a better government.

I don't blame MidwayUSA one bit, given the anti-2A legal climate. You don't like their decision? It's based on current California laws. Work to change them!

paul0660
07-13-2012, 11:15 AM
It isn't a prohibition, it is a paperwork requirement.

XD40SUBBIE
07-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Perhaps in the meantime, while you guys in LA/LA county work on removing your elected officials that are actually making it less safe for people, an enterprising idea...Proxy ammo purchasing. A Calgunner from a freer county purchases the ammo then ships it via UPS or courier to Los Angeles- Aftermarket. Would that be legal?

Seeker
07-13-2012, 11:24 AM
tried buying hornady tap 75 grain jacketed hollow point from midwayusa's site and it got restricted to my los angeles address. When I began a live chat and asked [nicely] why the ammo was restricted he stated local laws, specifically:

"Chapter V, Article 5, 55.11

Los Angeles: no ammunition, Chapter V, Article 5, 55.11 c No vendor shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of firearm ammunition without at the time of purchase recording the following information on a form to be prescribed by the Board of Police Commissioners: 1. transaction date 2. name, address, date of birth 3. drivers license number 4. brand, type and amount of ammunition 5. signature 6. name of sales person. The vendor shall also at the time of purchase or transfer obtain the right thumb print of the purchaser on the above form."

i then asked him if he was referring to the AB962 that was overturned and got the response:

what the heck is going on here. my heart aches...

Just get your ammunition mailed to a UPS Store outside of los Angeles City limits. I order my ammo and get it delivered to a UPS store near me outside of Los Angeles. For example, a UPS Store in Culver City will do the trick. Dont sweat it.:D

Don29palms
07-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Ive been where you are..... There's not anything you can do unfortunately. Actually you can let Midway know since they have chosen to only selectively support California gun owners you will not be buying anything further form them and you will let the members of calguns.com know about their arbitrary sales practices.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=580523

I am all for boycotting companies that choose to not send legal items to the USSK but until you can give a signature and a thumbprint on a form over the phone or computer Midway is just following the law.

jdogg2000
07-13-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm actually really impressed that Midway was able to cite the ordinance. Most places just say, "Sorry, I won't ship this to you. Good luck.". Have it sent to a city name other than "Los Angeles"... Even "Westwood" or "Hollywood" works...

Aldemar
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Does your zip code show Los Angeles? I live in Northridge and work in Encino. Both are technically part of the City of LA. I've never had an issue with ammo shipments to either address from any vendor (Midway included).

JeremyKX
07-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I have had ammo shipped to my address in LA many times without issue.

Don't put LA.

I have always used the small city name.

I live in Encino so I put that and all ammo gets shipped to me :)

littlejake
07-13-2012, 12:35 PM
All good advice for a short term solution. (and, BTW, XD40SUBBIE, LA County does not have this restriction.)

We need to file suit against these little tyrants who run the City of LA. We all know ammo registration was part of the GCA of 1968 and we put up with it until 1986. It doesn't work. We are dealing with Tyrants who won't even let a hardware store give me a plastic bag for a purchase...

Sue them, Recall them, follow there careers and give to their opposition candidates in every office they run for.

Writing to them is worthless -- They don't give a flying (insert word here) about what you think. -- and they won't until it costs them politically.

XD40SUBBIE
07-13-2012, 1:05 PM
All good advice for a short term solution. (and, BTW, XD40SUBBIE, LA County does not have this restriction.)

We need to file suit against these little tyrants who run the City of LA. We all know ammo registration was part of the GCA of 1968 and we put up with it until 1986. It doesn't work. We are dealing with Tyrants who won't even let a hardware store give me a plastic bag for a purchase...

Sue them, Recall them, follow there careers and give to their opposition candidates in every office they run for.

Writing to them is worthless -- They don't give a flying (insert word here) about what you think. -- and they won't until it costs them politically.

Hmmm. Thanks, I know I can be shipped ammo in Solano County. So perhaps, I can do a solid for my gun owning brethren, I can pay for the purchase, and simply charge the LA resident the original price of the ammo, Paypal fees 3%, shipping from Fairfield to LA and a little something for my time. Either a flat rate or a percentage of the total cost?

nocomply25
07-13-2012, 1:10 PM
i live in northridge also which is part of la county, but when i enter my zipcode on cheaper then dirt, they ship to me np! try the UPS thing

1911su16b870
07-13-2012, 1:21 PM
Have them drop ship to a non-LA address,

XD40SUBBIE
07-13-2012, 1:44 PM
Have them drop ship to a non-LA address,

Why you gotta cock-block? :D:43: Kidding, bro...that's actually not a bad idea.

advocatusdiaboli
07-13-2012, 1:59 PM

DO they have a rationale for this obstruction to ammunition purchase (vital for full exercise of our 2A right)? What, they have a crime scene where 9mm was used, they going to track down every purchaser for alibis? I cannot see how this data collection serves as any deterrent to crime. The police must be laughing at this requirement.

byronwrites
07-13-2012, 2:13 PM
If you buy ammunition in a store within the LA city limits, they record all of this information, plus a thumbprint, in their ammunition sales log.

LAPD does and will inspect these ammo sales logs. They use it to track down folks who are prohibited by law from purchasing ammunition.

Glock22Fan
07-13-2012, 2:15 PM

Yes, and as said above, this restriction does not apply to areas that are outside LA City, even if they are within L.A. County.

hornswaggled
07-13-2012, 2:33 PM
Perhaps in the meantime, while you guys in LA/LA county work on removing your elected officials

Yeah that shouldn't take too long. I'm sure OP will get right on that.

Aldemar
07-13-2012, 2:36 PM

Except for the fact that your billing address in still LA. Probably won't work.

Glock22Fan
07-13-2012, 2:45 PM
DO they have a rationale for this obstruction to ammunition purchase (vital for full exercise of our 2A right)? What, they have a crime scene where 9mm was used, they going to track down every purchaser for alibis? I cannot see how this data collection serves as any deterrent to crime. The police must be laughing at this requirement.

This was "sold", IIRC, on the theory that the police would be able to examine the records and identify felons and other banned people who have illegally purchased ammo. You and I know, of course, that anyone with a room temperature IQ could find a work around and, of course, IIRC it is an established fact that these records have never resulted in a prosecution, and probably have never been examined.

So, the covert reason for it is simply, as most such legislation, to make life hard for us in the hope we'll give up.

XD40SUBBIE
07-13-2012, 3:31 PM
Except for the fact that your billing address in still LA. Probably won't work.
No, no, as I said, I would purchase the ammo for the LA resident. My address is Fairfield, CA. Bill to me. I would then ship from Fairfield to LA. Proxy purchase...

SanPedroShooter
07-13-2012, 3:41 PM
Yup, mailed and billed to San Pedro, CA, (not a 'real' city) works everytime. Use the name of the neighborhood you live in.

Or just have mailed to one of the dozens of incorporated cities that surround LA city proper.

NoHeavyHitter
07-13-2012, 3:52 PM
Now that Midway is big and has "made it" to the top, they can tell customers to piss-off anytime they want. I solved the problem by taking my (considerable) business elsewhere..

I suggest that you do the same.

Oh, and forget about Sportsman's Guide - they won't even ship an AR-15 wrench to CA.

"Cheaper (dumber) than Dirt" told me that M855 (5.56x45 62gr "green tip") is armor-piercing and therefore illegal in CA - so they canceled my order for 3 cases. I was lucky they did, since it was on sale cheaper at my local gunshop.

Basically, when a company achieves a certain level of success, they can afford to get lazy and just refuse to do business with certain folks as we are no longer a priority. The good news is that there are many other companies out there who have excellent service that WANT and APPRECIATE your business and treat you with the respect that you deserve.

Dutch3
07-13-2012, 4:28 PM
If you buy ammunition in a store within the LA city limits, they record all of this information, plus a thumbprint, in their ammunition sales log.

LAPD does and will inspect these ammo sales logs. They use it to track down folks who are prohibited by law from purchasing ammunition.

Really? And exactly how often does LAPD do that? And how?

For most vendors, these are going to be paper records. Maybe even larger retailers - I haven't seen a thumbprint scanner at my local Wal-Mart.

So LAPD has the manpower to review all of the ammo sales logs on a regular basis? From all of the retailers in the city? On paper? Looking to preemptively bust a prohibited person that purchased ammo?

I don't believe it. This is just one of the issues that struck failure in legislation such as AB962. There is no way that simply recording sales information is ever going to prohibit anyone from purchasing ammunition. Many prohibited persons have valid (or fake) driver's licenses. Most of them also have a right thumb.

Since the sales terminals at Wal-Mart are not connected to any database of prohibited persons, Joe Felon can buy lots of ammo, trusting the fact that the chances of those printouts ever being scrutinized by anyone looking for his name are nil.

littlejake
07-13-2012, 4:31 PM

The City of LA has had an NYPD police chief for some years (Bratton). (I think Charlie Beck is now Chief) That NYC attitude permeated the Council. The Mayor is a former Speaker of the Assembly who was no friend of the 2A when he was in the Assembly.

City of LA is San Francisco South.

Capybara
07-13-2012, 4:47 PM
City of LA is San Francisco South.

But who is worse, Ed Lee or Antonio Villaretardo? Don't know much about Ed Lee other than obviously he is an anti, but I doubt he is a full on corrupt criminal like Villaretardo.

byronwrites
07-13-2012, 5:26 PM
Really? And exactly how often does LAPD do that? And how?

Yes, they do. I've been in-store when LAPD comes in to review the ammunition sales logs. There are very very few stores in Los Angeles that sell ammunition. It doesn't take much effort for LAPD to check them.

For most vendors, these are going to be paper records. Maybe even larger retailers - I haven't seen a thumbprint scanner at my local Wal-Mart.

Yes, they are paper records. Usually a binder. And there is no thumbprint scanner that I've ever run into. It's ink on paper everytime.

So LAPD has the manpower to review all of the ammo sales logs on a regular basis? From all of the retailers in the city? On paper? Looking to preemptively bust a prohibited person that purchased ammo?

Yes, that is correct. And it is a fairly common tactic to track down parole violators.

I don't believe it. This is just one of the issues that struck failure in legislation such as AB962. There is no way that simply recording sales information is ever going to prohibit anyone from purchasing ammunition. Many prohibited persons have valid (or fake) driver's licenses. Most of them also have a right thumb.

Since the sales terminals at Wal-Mart are not connected to any database of prohibited persons, Joe Felon can buy lots of ammo, trusting the fact that the chances of those printouts ever being scrutinized by anyone looking for his name are nil.

I know this sounds crazy, but there is only one Walmart in the City of Los Angeles. Call them and ask them if they sell ammunition. The answer will be "No we do not" — Here's their number: 323-299-8014

And here's a handy map of Los Angeles area Walmarts — note that there is one and only one in Los Angeles (the city): http://cl.ly/1o0l040o441v030h2e0u

All of that being said, it doesn't take much to drive a few blocks and suddenly be in a different city. The City of Los Angeles has a very odd physical shape:
http://cl.ly/082m2E0W40093D3h3P0m

So, you are correct. This only catches folks who are already very dim-witted, and/or deters them (however slightly) from buying ammunition.

littlejake
07-13-2012, 5:47 PM
It was never meant to deter. It's intended to harass; and to satisfy whatever the latest incarnation of is for HCI, Brady Campaign, et cetera. The politicians make them happy and they push money into their campaigns.

SanPedroShooter
07-13-2012, 5:53 PM
I'll bet there are not even a dozen ammo sellers in the city of LA including Big five.

byronwrites
07-13-2012, 5:56 PM
I think you are probably right. Ammo sellers are very few and far between.

There are even fewer places to purchase firearms within the City of Los Angeles.

adampolo13
07-13-2012, 6:01 PM
Hey OP, I'm not too far from you. I'm in Thousand Oaks, CA. I have had no problems getting ammo up here in Ventura County. The best place I have found to order from is www.LuckyGunner.com. Their selection is pretty huge, and prices are much better than fair. Check them out.

SanPedroShooter
07-13-2012, 6:02 PM
I think you are probably right. Ammo sellers are very few and far between.

There are even fewer places to purchase firearms within the City of Los Angeles.

If you exclude Big Five, there is a Turners in Reseda and I think there is a place downtown, and I think the LA police academy store has an FFL.

I cant think of any more. There is a Big Five in Pedro where I am, and they sell ammo and firearms, they even had those IO AK's for awhile.

When you buy ammo, you fill out a section in a book with a thumbprint and everything. I stopped buying ammo there....

Also going into an actual LA city FFL is an glimpse into the gun banners future, with huge blocks of propaganda text on the wall, a selection limited by law, and extra forms and finger prints...

I heard that for awhile the city attorney was sending threating letters to anyone that bought a gun at an LA city FFL warning them of all the fines and fees and felonies that you can catch for owning a gun in this state. I heard a lot of people got those letters and never went back to the gun store to pick up their purchase...

byronwrites
07-13-2012, 6:30 PM
I heard that for awhile the city attorney was sending threating letters to anyone that bought a gun at an LA city FFL warning them of all the fines and fees and felonies that you can catch for owning a gun in this state. I heard a lot of people got those letters and never went back to the gun store to pick up their purchase...

That is crazy. Doesn't surprise me though. Wowzers.

As far as gun stores, there is The Target Range in Van Nuys (part of the City of LA): http://www.thetargetrange.com/

The LAX Range (http://www.laxrange.com/) is, however, outside of the City of LA and doesn't record ammo sales.

Martin B. Retting in Culver City is also outside of LA City limits.

SanPedroShooter
07-13-2012, 6:34 PM
Oh yeah, I know there are a fair amount of places outside of LA city limits.

As far as the nastygram from the city attorney, I think i read that on a website run by a firearms lawyer named Chuck Michel, I believe he was suing, or was going to sue over the practice, but they stopped doing it.

A-J
07-13-2012, 7:32 PM
I am however, pleasantly surprised at the knowledgeable answer you received from the Midway customer service rep.

Sorry to ruin the surprise, but hte rule has no force on out of state vendors. There is NO record keeping requirement on out of state (or even out of city) suppliers from selling ammo. That's why you can buy bullets in Burbank around July 4, but not in the city of LA. LA rules are for LA business only. Anyone that says different is FOS. If you're gonna order online, try another vendor. I've used TargetSportsUSA and AbleAmmo more than once with no problem.

Faxon
07-13-2012, 7:44 PM
I don't have any problems like this any longer. And I feel fine about it.

Dutch3
07-13-2012, 8:04 PM
Yes, they do. I've been in-store when LAPD comes in to review the ammunition sales logs. There are very very few stores in Los Angeles that sell ammunition. It doesn't take much effort for LAPD to check them.

That stills seems pretty incredible, although I guess if there are only a handful of vendors it could enter the realm of possibility.

I would also assume that many LA City residents who purchase ammunition do it outside the city proper to avoid the documentation hassle.

BKinzey
07-13-2012, 9:03 PM
Sorry to ruin the surprise, but hte rule has no force on out of state vendors. There is NO record keeping requirement on out of state (or even out of city) suppliers from selling ammo.....

That's the correct answer but you probably can't convince the vendor of that:(:(

Funny, the City of LA collects sales tax but out of city vendors who ship to you don't worry about that.

offdutyalot
07-14-2012, 6:10 AM
Hey OP, I'm not too far from you. I'm in Thousand Oaks, CA. I have had no problems getting ammo up here in Ventura County. The best place I have found to order from is www.LuckyGunner.com. Their selection is pretty huge, and prices are much better than fair. Check them out.

I'm a bit farther in Bakersfield, but I'll meet ya in Gorman if you want me to receive it for you.....I'm LEO (well sometimes classified as such, CDCr (Dept of Corruption and "red-headed step children"). :D I'll help ya for nothing on my part; not even gas money.....:D

I'm suprised only one other member offered to help this way.

PM me if you need assistance...........

Aldemar
07-14-2012, 8:00 AM
If you exclude Big Five, there is a Turners in Reseda and I think there is a place downtown, and I think the LA police academy store has an FFL..

The Firing Line in Northridge also sells ammo. Only handgun calibers as I recall. Their reloads are junk and their factory stuff is overpriced.

Eric Mayer
07-14-2012, 8:17 AM
I have all my ammo shipped to a Mail Center in Gardena owned by another Calgunner. I pay him a small fee for his time/service and we are both happy.

I'll send him a link to this thread to see if he wants to open the offer up to other LA City residents.

Eric :cool:

loosewreck
07-14-2012, 8:21 AM
Sorry to ruin the surprise, but hte rule has no force on out of state vendors. There is NO record keeping requirement on out of state (or even out of city) suppliers from selling ammo.

I've read this here before.

If you're gonna order online, try another vendor. I've used TargetSportsUSA and AbleAmmo more than once with no problem.
Thanks, didn't know about these two.

Other than the two already listed above, does anyone know of any other venders who ship to LA City.

loosewreck
07-14-2012, 8:25 AM
I have all my ammo shipped to a Mail Center in Gardena owned by another Calgunner. I pay him a small fee for his time/service and we are both happy.

I'll send him a link to this thread to see if he wants to open the offer up to other LA City residents.

Please do, it'll be very appreciated. I've been looking for this type of service for some time now.

SanPedroShooter
07-14-2012, 9:09 AM
I just ordered a good chunk of .223 and 9mm two seconds ago, all sent to 'San Pedro' the same as I've been doing for years...

This isnt really that hard. Do you live in Palms? Hollywood? Van Nuys? Harbor Gateway? Sylmar...? All sections of LA, and there are a dozen others. Pick one closest to your house, your address and zip code will get it there.

SanPedroShooter
07-14-2012, 9:33 AM
I will say that some of the bigger vendors may have a zip code list that will kick you out automatically, but you shouldnt buy from the them anyway.

I buy from Cabela's occasionaly with no problem. Palmetto, J&G, Lucky Gunner, Surplus ammo etc... I just bought a couple hundred brass cased, 55g .223 rounds from Armscor to try out for a bit more than a quarter a round. Everywhere else is sold out or two or three buck higher.

Half Cocked
07-14-2012, 8:30 PM
Ship the ammo to a UPS service center outside of LA city limits. UPS does not charge extra for "Hold for Customer Pickup". When the package arrives at the service center you will be notified by phone. Before that you will know when the package will arrive by going online to the UPS website with your tracking number. Stop by the service center after the package arrives, show them your drivers license or other ID and they will give you your package. It beats having an expensive box of ammo left on your porch.

Ron-Solo
07-14-2012, 9:32 PM
I have one credit card that lets me have additional shipping addresses just for this occasion. I also have a checking account with a debit visa card for my Arizona address and Arizona C&R license. Costs me $6 a month,but it is worth it.

Lionsfeast
07-15-2012, 4:33 AM
This is a non-issue.
1. MOst online retailers don't know the difference between the city of LA and other cities in LA county, so they simply blacklist a whole string of zip-codes. If you shop around you're likely to find someone who won't sweat it.
2. Unless you're buying huge quantities of ammo, there's not much savings involved (I bought 1000 rounds online; the 27$ shipping fee pretty much knocked out any savings- in the end it was only $10 cheaper than at Turner's)
3. Finally: you can always get it shipped to any number of surrounding cities (culver city, long beach, thousand oaks) so long as you know someone there.

In other words, this is a post looking for a problem...

SanPedroShooter
07-15-2012, 6:36 AM
I have one credit card that lets me have additional shipping addresses just for this occasion. I also have a checking account with a debit visa card for my Arizona address and Arizona C&R license. Costs me $6 a month,but it is worth it.

Hey Ron, tell me about using your C&R. I got a second license with a WA address and I planned to send a money order with no CA address on it, but arent the vendors going to want to see some ID? Arent they going to want to match my WA FFL with something that proves I am who I say I am and have some tie to the address? Of course all I have is a CA ID. I have a WA carry permit, but even that has my CA address on it. I'll bet J&G will take a CA ID and ship to a WA FFL, but I dont know anyone else that would do that.

I havent used it yet, although I've had it for over a year and the ID idea just occured to me.

Ron-Solo
07-15-2012, 9:58 AM
I sent Samco a copy of my AZ C&R FFL and did an on line order using my debit checking Visa that matches the address. They sent my unissued Yugo 59/66A1's with consecutive serial numbers to my AZ address a short time later. :)

Samco's unissued Yugo 59/66A1 rifles are just that. Beautiful!

I put Tapco muzzle brakes on them so I can bring them to Ca. I also have an AZ ID card, but have never needed it.

SanPedroShooter
07-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I sent Samco a copy of my AZ C&R FFL and did an on line order using my debit checking Visa that matches the address. They sent my unissued Yugo 59/66A1's with consecutive serial numbers to my AZ address a short time later. :)

I put Tapco muzzle brakes on them so I can bring them to Ca. I also have an AZ ID card, but have never needed it.

Thanks. I think I'll just send my 03 out and make some phone calls. I have been able to get anything I wanted with my CA 03 so far, I dont really have the money to use two licenses anyway...;)

Ron-Solo
07-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I don't use it as often as I like, but $30 for three years isn't a deal breaker. I plan on moving to AZ full time when the market recovers enough to sell my house here.

If I find a C&R handgun or rifle that they won't ship to CA I just get it sent to AZ. Makes buying on Gunbroker a lot easier too. I have a local FFL01 there also that I can use. Since I retired, I have been spending more time in AZ than CA. My grandkids are there, which is the main reason. I love AZ. Much more relaxed pace than CA.

GS2AC President
07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Now come on folks…….. what would you expect from Los Angeles?

This is the same place that recently banned the following activities at the beach: Digging holes more than 18 inches deep, playing catch with a football and throwing frisbees.

Would you really expect them to allow you bullets for your guns?

REF:
LA County OKs $1,000 Fine For Throwing Football, Frisbee On Beaches
CBSlocal.com February 8, 2012 2:27 PM
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/08/la-county-oks-1000-fine-for-throwing-football-frisbee-on-beaches/

Experimentalist
07-15-2012, 1:12 PM
That's why I don't live in the city of LA.

And this is what the rest of the Country says about California.

You see why your attitude is not helpful? If we become divided, abandoning each other over various issues, we are doomed.

If we can stand together, help each other, then we have a pretty good chance at success.

ceedubG
07-15-2012, 7:11 PM
I Totally agree with Experimentalist.

"We" as California gun owners get upset and vent here when the rest of the Country fails to empathize with the absurd and ridiculous laws we deal with here in California. It's important to remember that those of you who enjoy unrestricted access to ammunition shipping or whatever else in this state are only one misguided news story away from losing that access.

Every member should be supportive of those of us that are forced to endure even more of these ridiculous "laws", especially when those laws are not applied correctly or accurately by vendors. After all isnt that part of the purpose of this website?

Calguns.com is powerful and educational site for California's unique set of gun issues and we as members need to use it call out and educate those vendors that refuse to support ALL of us. Collectively we have huge purchasing power and we should use our cash to send a message to those that dont fully support California!

-Ceedub

Loner
07-15-2012, 7:59 PM
Buy your ammo from another vendor. Ammoman, Ammunition to Go, Cabela's, and Primary Arms all ship to the city of L.A.

hornswaggled
07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
And this is what the rest of the Country says about California.

You see why your attitude is not helpful? If we become divided, abandoning each other over various issues, we are doomed.

If we can stand together, help each other, then we have a pretty good chance at success.

Completely agree. An attack on one is an attack on all. I love midway, but won't buy from them anymore after seeing this.

glock1973
07-17-2012, 10:21 PM

PM me, if anyone wants their ammo shipped to Mail Center. I'm the owner of Mail Center. Thanks. :)

Aldemar
07-18-2012, 8:02 AM
This is a non-issue.
1. MOst online retailers don't know the difference between the city of LA and other cities in LA county, so they simply blacklist a whole string of zip-codes. If you shop around you're likely to find someone who won't sweat it.
2. Unless you're buying huge quantities of ammo, there's not much savings involved (I bought 1000 rounds online; the 27$ shipping fee pretty much knocked out any savings- in the end it was only $10 cheaper than at Turner's)
3. Finally: you can always get it shipped to any number of surrounding cities (culver city, long beach, thousand oaks) so long as you know someone there.

In other words, this is a post looking for a problem...

There is a very easy way to see if something is cheaper to buy online assuming no sales tax is being charged:

Take the shipping charges and divide by the sales tax rate you would pay if bought locally.

In the case above, let's assume you lived in LA County where the sales tax rate is 8.75%......$27.00 / 8.75% = $308.57. If it's available locally cheaper than that, buy it locally. If not buy it online.

Eric Mayer
07-18-2012, 3:45 PM
PM me, if anyone wants their ammo shipped to Mail Center. I'm the owner of Mail Center. Thanks. :)

GREAT! I'm glad you found this thread. For folks in Los Angeles, this is the easiest way and you are working with a fellow Calgunner!

SanPedroShooter
07-18-2012, 7:34 PM
Well the easiest way is to just leave off the words 'Los Angeles' from the invoice...

I just got 10 pounds of ammo delivered to 'San Pedro, CA', and while there may be no such city, the UPS can always find me... Been that way for years.

One time I had a box delivered to Redondo Beach (an actual city) at my mothers house, by why drive all the hell around town? This is not rocket surgery...

Wherryj
07-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Sucks, have it sent to a friend or relative outside city limits.

You can send it to me and pick up what's left when you have the time to stop by! ;)