PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Zion National Park, what do I need to know?

Lugiahua
07-12-2012, 9:55 PM
My dad and I are planning a road trip to Zion in Utah next week, since I have an Utah CCW, I am going to practice my 2A right.

From what I experienced before and read from Open Carry.org
I can open carry while crossing Nevada, then conceal carry once enter Utah, including inside Zion.

The only prohibit places are court houses, school campus and churches with no-gun signs posted.

I would like to know if above statement is correct? and if there is anything I need to beware of in this trip?

Just want to make sure I won't screw up and ended up behind bars.

Dark Paladin
07-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I was just there 2 weeks ago.

Open carried all the time (except for inside the visitor center). No problems at all.

Did the same at Bryce Canyon.

Lugiahua
07-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I thought that you need a Utah open carry license for OC?

HskrVern
07-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I thought that you need a Utah open carry license for OC?

For "loaded" open carry you need a CFW permit in Utah.

Lugiahua
07-12-2012, 10:13 PM
So guess I will stay with my concealed permit,
doesn't make sense to me carry a unloaded weapon for defense.

Dark Paladin
07-12-2012, 10:13 PM

http://www.opencarry.org/ut.html

Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded.

And that's exactly what I did - full mag / empty chamber. I did receive inquisitive questions from other park visitors, but was not hassled by LEOs.

Lugiahua
07-12-2012, 10:18 PM
that's really interesting

no permit = loaded but not chambered.

I assume that most people asking were from CA?

I encountered the same in NV, tourists from CA were shocked when I (OCing) told them CA is the only states on the West Coast that regular citizens can not carry weapons

Dark Paladin
07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
that's really interesting

no permit = loaded but not chambered.

I assume that most people asking were from CA?

I encountered the same in NV, tourists from CA were shocked when I (OCing) told them CA is the only states on the West Coast that regular citizens can not carry weapons

Actually all from several other states. Florida, Illinois, Georgia, Texas, and South Carolina. All contacts were friendly once they were informed that it was legal to carry in Utah. The couple from South Carolina I talked to were excited that they just finished their CCW classes and were eager to start carrying (once they receive their license). The bartender that asked about my carry was actually a retired border patrol officer. . . and we were both immensely surprised that we both spent time in McAllen, TX. . . of all places. Fun conversations ensued after that. :)

Someday
07-12-2012, 10:25 PM
I was just there 2 weeks ago.

Open carried all the time (except for inside the visitor center). No problems at all.

Did the same at Bryce Canyon.

Thank you! I asked this on two other forums and got no answer.

Lugiahua
07-12-2012, 10:25 PM
that's awesome, I remember I was really scared when I encounter LEO when OC in NV first time, then turned out they didn't care at all.
Due to all the bad experiences and rumors heard in CA when face LEOs (before they banned UOC.)

really wish I will be able to move to a free state soon, or help CA to get shall-issue.

Dark Paladin
07-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Thank you! I asked this on two other forums and got no answer.

Your welcome.

The biggest thing you have to remember is you're okay carrying while outdoors within national parks. Federal buildings (ie visitor centers) are NO GO.

Someday
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Your welcome.

The biggest thing you have to remember is you're okay carrying while outdoors within national parks. Federal buildings (ie visitor centers) are NO GO.

Even with a non-resident Utah CCW? (going to the class next weekend to get mine)

Dark Paladin
07-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Even with a non-resident Utah CCW? (going to the class next weekend to get mine)

Doesn't matter which state's CCW you are using. It is a federal building, just like if you are heading into a federal courthouse or FBI headquarters.

Someday
07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
got it, thanks.

dsmoot
07-12-2012, 11:45 PM
If you enjoy crazy hiking dont miss going to the top of angel's landing. Just make sure that you do it first thing in the morning, since you dont want a bunch of noobs trying to pass you on the part with chains. Also note that just west of zion on highway 9 before getting to la verkin there is a great shooting area with benches already setup. Just pull up and shoot.

Lugiahua
07-13-2012, 1:33 AM
If you enjoy crazy hiking dont miss going to the top of angel's landing. Just make sure that you do it first thing in the morning, since you dont want a bunch of noobs trying to pass you on the part with chains. Also note that just west of zion on highway 9 before getting to la verkin there is a great shooting area with benches already setup. Just pull up and shoot.

ah, I remember noob part from last time :p
I don't think I can do this again this time, consider my dad is near 80.

Kukuforguns
07-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Bring a good camera. Take LOTS of pictures (memory cards are cheap, fill 'em up). Get up EARLY in the morning to shoot sunrise breaking over the park. Bring water. Have fun.

One of my "life goals" is to hike Angel's Flight.

paul0660
07-13-2012, 10:53 AM
I get to Zion every year. I have never seen anyone carrying, but I assume most are, as I am.

Federal buildings in which carrying is prohibited have to be "prominently" posted.

Fate
07-13-2012, 11:09 AM
http://www.nps.gov/zion/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

And go to the Bit and Spur in Springdale, UT for incredible mexican food (much better than CA fare). The Zion Pizza and Noodle Co. is decent as well.

Glock22Fan
07-13-2012, 2:10 PM
As said above, semi autos have to have an empty chamber (unless you have a Utah CCW.) Revolvers must have the next chamber up empty, so again you have to do two actions to fire it.

I think the thinking is that squeezing the trigger once might be an accident. Squeezing it twice (or racking the slide and squeezing it once) takes conscious effort.

Bad Voodoo
07-13-2012, 2:54 PM
Common sense. Imagine that.

gunsmith
07-13-2012, 6:16 PM
let people know where you are going and when you're going to return.
This way if you fall into a canyon and get stuck between rocks you wont have to cut your arm off with a pocket knife.

gunsmith
07-13-2012, 6:33 PM
let people know where you are going and when you're going to return.
This way if you fall into a canyon and get stuck between rocks you wont have to cut your arm off with a pocket knife.

In case you're not sure what I'm referring to, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston

MT1
07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Zion was great, I would love to get back there with my kids someday. Bryce Canyon was also a fun place to walk through...IMO both are better than the Grand Canyon.

its mcgavin son
07-15-2012, 12:51 AM

This is the last time I use this forum for something non-marketplace related.

I asked Calguns' 2A about Utah's firearm laws before I left for vacation to Bryce and Zion Canyon last month; I asked this predominant Californian forum because I also received no responses from other state-specific CCW forums nor park ranger offices. I made it explicitly clear what information I wanted and was merely slammed with ONE link:

http://www.nps.gov/brca/parkmgmt/firearmslaw.htm

Which mentions NOTHING about "at least 2 actions from firing"

It's just nice to see members on here helping out others (besides me) more :rolleyes: