PDA

View Full Version : Mechtech CCU as a Handgun

plumbum
07-12-2012, 2:56 PM
I assume most people know what a Mechtech Carbine Conversion Unit (http://mechtechsys.com/) is, but just in case...

So if you purchase the basic unit (without the stock) and cut down the barrel to say 10" and remove any capacity to accept a stock (remove the screw and plug the hole) you would still have a handgun.

Anyone else think they could have fun with something like that as a range toy? Just thinking out loud and secretly wanting a big-honking 10mm hunting pistol...

bohoki
07-12-2012, 3:01 PM
it would be a handgun with a foregrip i think that may be an assault weapon

it is neat having a blowback though

walmart_ar15
07-12-2012, 3:06 PM
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to
fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Sadly, probably not. Unless you fix the mag.

plumbum
07-12-2012, 3:08 PM
Hmm, that forward extension of the receiver is grippy enough looking, I'd bet that can be removed - those look like screw holes holding on a piece of plastic. Yeah, it is listed as a foregrip in the manual, its gotta go. But I wouldn't call the receiver a shroud, as the forward section of the barrel is exposed.

jimmyy1
07-13-2012, 6:28 AM
it would be a handgun with a foregrip i think that may be an assault weapon

it is neat having a blowback though

I totally agree with you... blowback is the best option here...

walmart_ar15
07-13-2012, 4:19 PM
Hmm, that forward extension of the receiver is grippy enough looking, I'd bet that can be removed - those look like screw holes holding on a piece of plastic. Yeah, it is listed as a foregrip in the manual, its gotta go. But I wouldn't call the receiver a shroud, as the forward section of the barrel is exposed.

Receiver is the part with the serial number, and in this case the pistol grip frame. It looks like the bolt rides over the barrel and the barrel is extended through the upper "tube". It would be in extreme "gray" area here leaning towards shroud. Not try to discourage innovation but just being the devil's advocate. :chris:

dfletcher
07-13-2012, 4:23 PM
I have the MechTech (1911 type, fixed mag with dedicated 1911 frame) and the grey plastic foregrip will slide off once the 4 screws on each side are removed. The tube with barrel and guts are held in by those screws so they must be reseated. Would look a bit odd by I'm sure someone could come up with a cosmetic touch.

On the other hand, even with that "foregrip" attached how is the MechTech when configured as a handgun any different than an Uzi? The Uzi pretty clearly has its barrel covered and that covering can be used as a horizontal grip. Is the Uzi style pistol in CA an AW?

MechTech sells a unit without a shoulder stock, IIRC someone here chopped the barrel from 16" to 15" but left it pretty much the same otherwise and they have a 15", scoped semi auto pistol.

Quiet
07-13-2012, 5:04 PM
On the other hand, even with that "foregrip" attached how is the MechTech when configured as a handgun any different than an Uzi? The Uzi pretty clearly has its barrel covered and that covering can be used as a horizontal grip. Is the Uzi style pistol in CA an AW?
Yes, if it has the foregrip and uses detachable magazines. [PC 30515(a)(4)(B)]
No, if it has the foregrip and uses a fixed 10 round magazine.
No, if it does not have the foregrip and uses detachable magazines.

CA legal "Uzi" type pistols
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/guns/VectorFSandGroupMini.jpg

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer's hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.