PDA

View Full Version : Statistics Concerning Crime and type of Firearm used.

Houlding Firearms
07-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Does anyone out there know of any studies or statistics about the type of firearms used in crimes. Specifically I am looking for stats of the the uses of AR-15's and AK type of weapons to combat Senator Yee's SB249.

nicoroshi
07-12-2012, 12:58 PM
I was curious of this as well but wanted to take it one step further.
Any studies/ statistics on crimes committed with bullet button/ mag locked equipped AR and AK style firearms?

DrDavid
07-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Nice job Sen Yee in learning how to use a web based forum. Your parents must be so proud!

Lugiahua
07-12-2012, 1:00 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that FBI has a date regarding types of weapon used in violent crimes. It doesn't go as detail as the make and model (e.g. AR-15, AK, Mini), but does show that rifles are quite unpopular weapons compared to knives or handguns.

doug-y-doug
07-12-2012, 1:30 PM
It might be out there, but all of the sources I've seen compiling violent crime statistics by firearm type are way outdated.

doug-y-doug
07-12-2012, 1:35 PM
Nice job Sen Yee in learning how to use a web based forum. Your parents must be so proud!

Really, man??? Even if the OP were Senator Yee or one of his staffers, would being rude help our cause?

Librarian
07-12-2012, 1:41 PM
Nothing useful.

Here's FBI's 2010 Weapons used in Murders data: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl20.xls

We can deduce that anything that might be classified as an 'assault weapon' is rarely used in crime: almost all a-w are rifles, and rifles are very rarely used.

But because of varying definitions, analyses of weapons and reporting requirements, no data can be aggregated.

Bhobbs
07-12-2012, 1:52 PM
Nothing useful.

Here's FBI's 2010 Weapons used in Murders data: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl20.xls

We can deduce that anything that might be classified as an 'assault weapon' is rarely used in crime: almost all a-w are rifles, and rifles are very rarely used.

But because of varying definitions, analyses of weapons and reporting requirements, no data can be aggregated.

Aren't rifles around 7% of the firearms used in murders?

Ctwo
07-12-2012, 3:28 PM
I think that the fact that assault weapons are almost never used in crimes is proof that the anti-AW laws are working...:P

State California
pop 37,253,956
murder rate (per million) 49
murder rank 17
murders 1,811
murder by firearm (all) 1,257
firearm murder rate 69%
firearm murder rank 14
by hand gun 953
hand gun murder rate 53%
by rifle 59
rifle murder rate 3%
by shotgun 44
murder shotgun rate 2%
by unkown 201
rate 11%
knife 250
rate 14%
other 201
rate 11%
by "bare" hands 103
rate 6%

SilverTauron
07-12-2012, 3:37 PM
They don't care about stats. The point of the bill isn't to control crime or disarm crooks,but to make legally owning an AR/AK type rifle such a PITA no one bothers to try.

Changalang
07-12-2012, 3:46 PM
hahaha 103 people blood sported someone else.

RipVanWinkle
07-12-2012, 3:53 PM
I think that the fact that assault weapons are almost never used in crimes is proof that the anti-AW laws are working...:P

State California
pop 37,253,956
murder rank 17
murders 1,811
firearm murder rate 69%
firearm murder rank 14
by hand gun 953
hand gun murder rate 53%
by rifle 59
rifle murder rate 3%
by shotgun 44
murder shotgun rate 2%
by unkown 201
rate 11%
knife 250
rate 14%
other 201
rate 11%
by "bare" hands 103
rate 6%

Yeah, I just looked at the national stats from Librarian's link and they're similar to California: Rifles = 358, 2.8% of all murders listed, 4.1%of all firearms murders. 373 shotgun murders, 2.9% and 4.2% respectively. That's only for 2010, of course.

joe_gman
07-12-2012, 5:13 PM
Like most things in politics, fear is being used to further politicians careers. Black rifles and other military looking rifles account for very few of the crimes and murders in California. Simply put, "assault weapons" make for poor tools when committing a crime. They are difficult to conceal, they are costly compared to cheap pistols used in crimes, they are heavy, they require two hands to properly fire, and they are bulky. By playing on people's fears of the rare mass shooting, politicians like Lee can garner support for his future re-election. This is no means relegated to just the left side of the aisle. Both Dems and Repubs do this.

creekside
07-12-2012, 6:02 PM
Does anyone out there know of any studies or statistics about the type of firearms used in crimes. Specifically I am looking for stats of the the uses of AR-15's and AK type of weapons to combat Senator Yee's SB249.

Here's statistics on the number of "assault weapons" (i.e. registered, non-BB) in California as maintained by CA DoJ: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/AWregstats.pdf

Here's statistics titled "Homicide in California: 2010": http://ag.ca.gov/cjsc/publications/homicide/hm10/preface.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/8xf7q54

Over 75% of homicides in California in 2010 were committed with handguns. Note: this is the same dataset you'd pull off the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports (UCR), just published by California DoJ.

You also might find this interesting:

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcassaul.html

If you have a strong stomach, you may also want to read this from our affectionate friends at the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, formerly the Legal Community Against Gun Violence:

http://smartgunlaws.org/assault-weapons-in-california/

I will add from reading lots of past research that there is virtually no anti-crime purpose served by prohibiting private persons from possession of "bullet button" rifles. Even if every evil-looking rifle were to be banned today, there would be plenty of rifles with superior performance characteristics which would remain generally available in California.

Existing law prohibits the possession of firearms by a felon, person on probation or parole, minor or addict. California also adds many violent or gun-related misdemeanors and anyone named in a restraining order to the "prohibited persons" list.

Criminals prefer firearms which are easily concealable, displayed and/or used suddenly and swiftly, and then easily concealed or disposed of. The Federal "Gun Control Act" of 1968 prohibits sawed-off shotguns for this reason. Therefore criminals tend to primarily use handguns.

Rifles -- whether equipped with "bullet buttons," pistol grips, evil black plastic, or underbarrel Super Soaker attachments -- simply don't fit what criminals perceive to be their needs.

Burla
07-12-2012, 6:13 PM
I had posted this up before, the statistics regarding Murder and Assault rifles are incredibly low- near 1% of gun murders. However, they account for 10% of law enforcement deaths by gun, still very low compared to hand guns. One has to ask with the numbers being so incredibly low how CA was ever able to pass the assault rifle ban in the first place.

adampolo13
07-12-2012, 6:24 PM
I had posted this up before, the statistics regarding Murder and Assault rifles are incredibly low- near 1% of gun murders. However, they account for 10% of law enforcement deaths by gun, still very low compared to hand guns. One has to ask with the numbers being so incredibly low how CA was ever able to pass the assault rifle ban in the first place.

Wait a second, I just figured it out! Most AK's/AR's are black. Maybe that's it, they are black.... Sounds like the anti's are just as racist as Yee thinks gun supporters are...

It's a snark comment I know but I couldn't resist.

Ctwo
07-12-2012, 8:05 PM
Over 75% of homicides in California in 2010 were committed with handguns.

No, you mean just a hair over 75% of firearm homicides in California in 2010 were committed with handguns.

Less than 53% of all homicides in California in 2010 were committed with handguns.

NotEnufGarage
07-12-2012, 8:12 PM
Really, man??? Even if the OP were Senator Yee or one of his staffers, would being rude help our cause?

Yes, because people like Senator Yee need to understand just how little regard we hold them in when they attempt to stifle freedom by authoring bad legislation that addresses a non-existant problem.

One more law will not stop the killing. Man has murdered his fellow man since the dawn of time. No law will stop that.

Schlyme
07-12-2012, 8:46 PM
I will add from reading lots of past research that there is virtually no anti-crime purpose served by prohibiting private persons from possession of "bullet button" rifles. Even if every evil-looking rifle were to be banned today, there would be plenty of rifles with superior performance characteristics which would remain generally available in California.

Guess we'll all have to go get 338 lapua rifles with a mile+ reach out and touch someone ability! Or maybe just M1A's with 1000 yard reach :p

wash
07-12-2012, 9:04 PM
A better question is how many murders are blamed on "assault weapons" to try and justify new gun control laws?

Look in to Lovelle Mixon...

Which then begs the question of why was OPD letting such a scum bag walk around free?

erik_26
07-12-2012, 9:09 PM
What's the number?

~84,000,000 gun law abiding owners didn't kill anyone yesterday with their guns?

doug-y-doug
07-12-2012, 9:33 PM
Yes, because people like Senator Yee need to understand just how little regard we hold them in when they attempt to stifle freedom by authoring bad legislation that addresses a non-existant problem.

One more law will not stop the killing. Man has murdered his fellow man since the dawn of time. No law will stop that.

I hear ya, but I don't think he gives a crap about what we think of him. It just makes us look like douchebags. Either way, eff SB249. The stats are in our favor.

sharxbyte
07-12-2012, 9:34 PM
hahaha 103 people blood sported someone else.

this is funny how?

doug-y-doug
07-12-2012, 9:37 PM
this is funny how?

:18: :ban:

TRP PRO 1911
07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
The NIJ did a study of archival data years back. They concluded that less than 1% of AW type long guns were used in crimes and criminals prefer small, concealable handguns.

The irony is that after the 94 FED AW Ban that included hi-cap mags, gun manf focused on making small powerful handguns, e.g. Glock 26/27

Thugs like powerful centerfire handguns due to concealability. The AW fear is all based on Hollywood movie BS.

Sad world we live in.

nick
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM

State California
pop 37,253,956
murder rank 17
murders 1,811
firearm murder rate 69%
firearm murder rank 14
by hand gun 953
hand gun murder rate 53%
by rifle 59
rifle murder rate 3%
by shotgun 44
murder shotgun rate 2%
by unkown 201
rate 11%
knife 250
rate 14%
other 201
rate 11%
by "bare" hands 103
rate 6%

Looks like with antis' logic (ban the tool of the murder instead of properly punishing the murderer and giving his victim a fighting chance) we need to ban bare hands before rifles, including black rifles.

This is assuming gun bans are about crime, and not control, which I'm not ready to assume.

Ctwo
07-12-2012, 11:42 PM
The NIJ did a study of archival data years back. They concluded that less than 1% of AW type long guns were used in crimes and criminals prefer small, concealable handguns.

The irony is that after the 94 FED AW Ban that included hi-cap mags, gun manf focused on making small powerful handguns, e.g. Glock 26/27

Thugs like powerful centerfire handguns due to concealability. The AW fear is all based on Hollywood movie BS.

Sad world we live in.

That's one theory, probably truth, really.

But I think "they" are concerned with AWs because most folks that have them know how to use firearms, and when they finally repeal 2A, they don't want to be out gunned during the mass collections...That would make a good Hollywood movie.

GOEX FFF
07-13-2012, 12:16 AM
A better question is how many murders are blamed on "assault weapons" to try and justify new gun control laws? <snip>

Well, we know an easy one... just ask Eric Holder.

300+ dead innocent Mexicans.

U.S. Boarder Agent Brian Terry.

ICE agent Jamie Zapata.

Any many more to come.

The Tiger
07-13-2012, 8:34 PM
I think the facts are on our side.

But what happened to the OP?