PDA

View Full Version : Critique my HD shotgun plz

r8dr rider
07-12-2012, 11:58 AM
I've had this for a few years now and want upgrade some parts but don't know what to do.
Here's a list of what it has
Mossberg 500 12G (Big 5 combo)
ATI pistol grip stock
Heat shield
TacStar 6 shotshell side saddle
Butt stock 5 shotshell holder
Hi Viz front sight
Sling
Coast 100 lumen LED light (barrel clamp used as mount)

I hacked the left side of the forend so it doesn't interfere with the side saddle. I want to change the forend but apparently I need to change the forend tube as well, and I don't want to pay another $50.

Oh and I'm running Winchester Rangers in stock holder, Winchester PDX and Remington HD BB in the side saddle.

http://i.imgur.com/3Q0rF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zFLGb.jpg

Colt562
07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Couple questions...do u really need that many shells? Looks like a lot of weight because it you do get into a self defense situation chances are that you won't unload because a average home defense gun fight only last like 7 seconds

And the need for a sling, I don't find necessary unless your house is one acres of land

But overall I do like your set up as a HD gun

jrod
07-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Not bad... From Military and L. E. experience, I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principal.
I like the extra ammo and sight. I stay away from all the tacticool junk the marketers have people believing the must have. Tactics is in the Brain;not mounted on weapons and gear.:rolleyes:

CK_32
07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Ditch the heat shield.. Get a better tac light and maybe a hogue forend loved mine.

Other than that looks ok.

BANG BANG
07-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I agree on ditching the heat shield and butt stock shell holder

Keep the side saddle on the left side. I'd carry 2 slugs in the holder the rest buck

The sling is debatable as if it is really needed or not.

KWB977
07-12-2012, 1:14 PM
lightweight and simple............ amazing how much all the "cool" stuff adds in weight.

Richard Erichsen
07-12-2012, 1:38 PM
I've had this for a few years now and want upgrade some parts but don't know what to do.
Here's a list of what it has
Mossberg 500 12G (Big 5 combo)
ATI pistol grip stock
Heat shield
TacStar 6 shotshell side saddle
Butt stock 5 shotshell holder
Hi Viz front sight
Sling
Coast 100 lumen LED light (barrel clamp used as mount)

I hacked the left side of the forend so it doesn't interfere with the side saddle. I want to change the forend but apparently I need to change the forend tube as well, and I don't want to pay another $50.

Oh and I'm running Winchester Rangers in stock holder, Winchester PDX and Remington HD BB in the side saddle.

Personal preference accounts for some of it (why a heat shield?), but the "bones" are fine. Most folks who spring for a Speed Feed style buttstock with a 5-6 shell capacity don't also get a side saddle. A shorter 4-5 shot side saddle all by itself would have avoided the interference you ran into (it's best to check before you drill, tap and screw them in). The side saddle is easier to reach in a hurry for most folks, but YMMV.

I don't really follow with the Win PDX slugs or how you plan to use them. Switching ammo types under stress is a recipe for disaster. Until I read something that doesn't come from the manufacturer, I think the PDX is hype. Unless you experiment extensively with them on gelatin and wall materials, I don't think I would feel comfortable with them in or on the shotgun. Do you really need more penetration than what tried and true reduced recoil 00, #1 or #4 buckshot can provide at 3-7 yards?

I don't know much about your flashlight or how well it will hold up. LED is a step in the right direction, time will tell.

R

07-12-2012, 1:39 PM
Ditch the buttstock (and possibly the side saddle) shell holder and the sling. You aren't going to need 16 shells in any realistic HD scenario. The sling is a liability as it can get hung up on something at a very inopportune time.

Richard Erichsen
07-12-2012, 1:43 PM
Ditch the buttstock (and possibly the side saddle) shell holder and the sling. You aren't going to need 16 shells in any realistic HD scenario. The sling is a liability as it can get hung up on something at a very inopportune time.

A good point on the sling. I assumed it was for a "photo op" and not the planned configuration for HD.

R

dc2integra
07-12-2012, 3:34 PM
Loose the sling,heat shield and get a better clamp for your light.Other than that I think you got everything covered.

CasperSYTFU
07-12-2012, 3:45 PM
As they have said the clamp (due to it being your mount) and light are where you should be focusing your money as those are really the only necessities for HD.

I'd upgrade those and add a pressure remote switch with coiled wire on the forend so you don't have to let go of the forend.

HatersLOVEme : )
07-12-2012, 4:03 PM
I don't know why but I've never been a fan of elastic shell holders or the later generation one piece Mossy forends other than that looks good I like the front sight :D

BigDogatPlay
07-12-2012, 4:11 PM
Shells on the butt cuff I would not use for two reasons....

1) You have a sidesaddle.

2) You can't easily shoot the gun off your weak shoulder.

I'd also lose the heat shield were it my gun, and add some type of pressure switch for the light. If you are defending inside the home, the sling isn't really necessary and can get caught on things if you have to move. If you are going to keep the sling on, tighten it up so it doesn't hang so loose.

Echidin
07-12-2012, 4:22 PM
lightweight and simple............ amazing how much all the "cool" stuff adds in weight.

^ This.

r8dr rider
07-12-2012, 5:18 PM
Hey thanks, some good feedback here. I'll get rid of the sling cuz there really isn't much of a use other then slinging over my shoulder which isn't really needed for HD. As far as the heat sheild goes I'm keeping it. I've always loved the look. The light mount definitely needs to change, any input on what I should get? As far as the stock shell holder goes I don't notice the weight difference, and figure more is better. But I guess I could due without it.

r8dr rider
07-12-2012, 5:21 PM
The light does hold up to the recoil. I have shot at night out in the desert before.

jvpark
07-12-2012, 5:44 PM
If you were making a movie and needed a cool looking shotgun, you did a great job...
personally I put a Hogue grip on my Mossy 500 and called it a day.

CrippledPidgeon
07-12-2012, 5:45 PM
Lose the heat shield (I have found that they can interfere with the sight-line), and take a class or two. That'll give you a far better idea of the practicality of what you have mounted on it than anything that we say, and it will help build the familiarity with the firearm, and skills that you would need in an HD gunfight.

dc2integra
07-12-2012, 6:26 PM
Get the laserlyte tri rail it fits perfect on the mossberg 500 it also lines up with your heat shield since u mentioned you were gonna keep it.I have a tlr 1 mounted on mine it mounts on the mag tube.

Mossy Man
07-12-2012, 10:35 PM
My HD shotgun.....mossy 590.

http://i.imgur.com/UhX5dl.jpg

Richard Erichsen
07-13-2012, 7:41 AM
My HD shotgun.....mossy 590.

http://i.imgur.com/UhX5dl.jpg

Noticeably uncluttered. Kudos!

R

vintagedude88
07-13-2012, 2:59 PM
Not a fan of the ATI stock becaue they're a bit plasticky and don't seem to be all that durable. I have this one on my 500:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/760088/john-masen-full-length-pistol-grip-shotgun-stock-mossberg-500-synthetic-black

sanjosebmx
07-13-2012, 3:06 PM
Hey thanks, some good feedback here. I'll get rid of the sling cuz there really isn't much of a use other then slinging over my shoulder which isn't really needed for HD. As far as the heat sheild goes I'm keeping it. I've always loved the look. The light mount definitely needs to change, any input on what I should get? As far as the stock shell holder goes I don't notice the weight difference, and figure more is better. But I guess I could due without it.

you can always add an 'AR' style single point or (I have) a sling that quickly changes from a 2 point to a single point. The hunting style slings are worthless for HD.

CA PI
07-13-2012, 4:44 PM
As mentioned; I would lose the buttstock ammo carrier. It will interfere with firing the shotgun from your non dominant or support side (I would hope that none of us have a 'weak side'). On a Mossberg I would also dump the pistol grip. Because of the location of the safety you will either have to break your firing grip to disengage the safe, thereby wasting valuable time. Or you will have to carry the shotgun cruiser ready, meaning chamber empty! And have to rack it if there was a problem. Then you would be down a round in your magazine tube and the weapon would be off safe. Now, you can say that you would keep your finger off the trigger, and I hope hope you would ("Hope is NOT a strategy!" - where have I heard that before?). However, I would refer you to a study done be Force Science Institue that showed most officers, very well trained and not so well trained, touch the trigger regularly under stress. As if they are reminding themselves that the trigger is there.

In the end I recommend that if you want a pistol grip on your shotgun the Remington might be a better idea because of the location of the safety. If you like a "straight" stock I really like the Mossberg because of the ambidextrousness of the safety (even though I use a very used Remington).

Your decision. Whatever you do get training... We actually have a one day Tac Shotgun class coming up at the end of the month.

Bobby Ricigliano
07-13-2012, 4:55 PM
Perfectly serviceable as is. I'd personally ditch the sling. I like extra ammo. No such thing as too much ammo. Now spend money on ammo and range time with that streetsweeper.

glock21fan
07-13-2012, 5:04 PM
Ditch that clamp and light. It will doubtfully hold up to recoil. Purchase a surefire forend (you don't have to replace the whole tube ) ditch the sling butt shell holder and heat shield. Maybe look into the tritium sights for it.

mydogsmonkey
07-13-2012, 5:21 PM
try shooting it and you'll see what fails and what doesn't, i learned that the hard way. i used a tacstar clamp style light mount and an LED light like yours. they failed. i noticed a lot of stuff just by shooting it. those top folding stocks tear my thumb up when mounted on a mossberg and shot it. I would have never known if it just sat in my safe.

Mossy Man
07-13-2012, 8:21 PM
Mossberg pump guns and pistol grip/rifle stocks don't mix.

you can use it, but the controls favor a traditional stock much more.

SoCalXD
07-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Lose ALL the ammo hanging off the gun. Replace with ca comp works belt loader, or blackhawk bandileer. Loose the sling at home. Lose the heat shield forever. All else looks good!

Light is fast, fast wins engagements.

webster-dl
07-13-2012, 11:37 PM
in my limited experience, taking a class will let you know what will and won't work. In my experience, butt-stock holders are clumsy...receiver side saddles are much better. As far as the heat shield, if you like it, just leave it. It will probably do more damage to remove it. Also, I have gotten my left hand a little singed on the barrel when I'm firing a lot of rounds, especially on a hot day. So I think the heat shields do actually have a practical use...or you could just wear a glove on your left hand.

My thoughts anyways...

negolien
07-14-2012, 11:18 AM
The stock and side saddle are good rest is for looks. Looks will get you killed just my opinion though. A remote switch is a must if you're putting a light on your rig.