PDA

View Full Version : NFA questions

F8ality
07-12-2012, 9:41 AM
Alright so I get the whole AOW stuff and I already know the legality of owning sbr's, sbs's and suppressors in CA. But I have a two part question for those of you know the laws a lot better than I do.

PART ONE: is there a section of the law that is defined for training/class/competition purposes? Say you live in AZ and you have an sbr with a suppressor and you are traveling to take a carbine class in CA, is there a way for you to legally bring your weapon into CA for training purposes?

PART TWO: what if you have a training/class/competition in CA every 30 days or less

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

socalblue
07-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry,

1. No
2. Too bad - CA sucks

There are specific competition exceptions for RAW's & .50 BMG rifles but nothing for NFA items. While federal law permits moving AOW's & suppressors over state lines without prior BATF approval, CA has specific laws pertaining to virtually everything NFA.

Capybara
07-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah, the only NFA items California permits are AOWs and SBS/SBR C&Rs (which are damn hard to find, I have been looking for the past few months).

If you had a DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit, you could bring your SBR and suppressor but you will NEVER get a DWP because you aren't an armorer for the movies or a manufacturer.

I know, what's the difference between an old Ithaca 37 SBS and a new Mossberg 500 SBS other than age? Stupid state with stupid, random laws.

Quiet
07-12-2012, 1:48 PM
#1. NO
#2. See #1

Also...

Certain Title 2 firearms (DD, MG, SBR, SBS) require BATFE approval in order to transport them across state lines.

Approval is obtain by submitting a Form 5320.20 to the BATFE prior to transporting.

BATFE will not approve a Form 5320.20 to transport into CA, unless the applicant also has a valid CA DOJ BOF Dangerous Weapons Permit.

F8ality
07-12-2012, 4:12 PM
Ok well thanks for the replies guys. Now on to my next question. I already have an NFA trust in CA can I use this for suppressors and SBR's in other states where I have a residence or do I have to have a separate one drawn up for each state? Do you guys know who I can go to to set up whatever I need to do get this accomplished? Any Calgunner Lawyers handle stuff like this or been through this process

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RP1911
07-12-2012, 4:32 PM
One of our own,

www.californianfatrust.com

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5811993&postcount=97

Quiet
07-12-2012, 4:50 PM
Ok well thanks for the replies guys. Now on to my next question. I already have an NFA trust in CA can I use this for suppressors and SBR's in other states where I have a residence or do I have to have a separate one drawn up for each state?
A Trust is a resident of the state it was created in.
So, you will need to create another Trust in the other state.

ke6guj
07-12-2012, 5:22 PM
A Trust is a resident of the state it was created in.
So, you will need to create another Trust in the other state.check with the trust lawyers on this one. I've heard of multi-state trusts being created, and people have moved their trust from one state to another (sometimes needs some amendments to comply with the new state's laws).