PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a safe?

Ninjapilot
07-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Ok so I have done my research and YES although I did read the DOJ website about safes I'm still confused. Hoping you guys can clarify this for me in "lame mans terms."

If someone has 3 or 4 long guns and there is an infant in the home.......I'm I REQUIRED by LAW to have a safe in ADDITION to having all the guns locked with CA approved cable locks?

I know it would be a great idea for the safe as opposed to the locks but if you are unable to place a safe at home due to space or lack of funds at the moment for example, then does it mean you cannot own long guns if you have a child if your long guns have ONLY the gun locks?

What if someone WITH A CHILD IN THE HOME has CA approved locks on all their long guns but ALSO has a non approved Walmart type of Stack On safe for less than $99, would the non approved safe make it illegal? Or is the fact that you have the CA approved locks fulfill that and the safe then would not be against the law to have a non approved safe?

Oh and for all these examples, of course the guns would be UNLOADED at all times and ammo stored separate perhaps locked in a money safe (non ca approved safe).

Please help me clarify this.:confused:

Librarian
07-12-2012, 1:23 AM
Ok so I have done my research and YES although I did read the DOJ website about safes I'm still confused. Hoping you guys can clarify this for me in "lame mans terms."

If someone has 3 or 4 long guns and there is an infant in the home.......I'm I REQUIRED by LAW to have a safe in ADDITION to having all the guns locked with CA approved cable locks?

No.

You are not obligated to have a safe.

If you have one, you are not obligated to use it. (It would probably be a good idea, but no law requires it.)

Except for the dealer being sure you have one as you leave the store with your latest purchase, you are not required to have the locks, nor are you required to use them.

You can possibly be prosecuted if a non-adult gets access to your guns, and subsequently uses one or more to commit a crime; you are not liable if the guns are stolen or accessed via a break-in, nor if you had no expectation of having underage visitors to where you have your guns. But, still need not lock them - acceptable to keep one in a holster on your belt, as that is under your control.

Ninjapilot
07-19-2012, 9:56 PM
When you say "But, still need not lock them - acceptable to keep one in a holster on your belt, as that is under your control." You mean when KIDS are around or will be around to my knowledge, then I DO Need to lock them?

If I understand you correctly, kids or no kids, then we are not required to have a safe or locks or if we have either one, even to use them right? I know, of course I would have one of them or both but just trying to understand the bare laws.

Librarian
07-19-2012, 10:41 PM
When you say "But, still need not lock them - acceptable to keep one in a holster on your belt, as that is under your control." You mean when KIDS are around or will be around to my knowledge, then I DO Need to lock them?

If I understand you correctly, kids or no kids, then we are not required to have a safe or locks or if we have either one, even to use them right? I know, of course I would have one of them or both but just trying to understand the bare laws.

PC quoted at the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Storage_and_Children

If you can anticipate that a child could get access to a firearm without permission, you have to do something to prevent that. That 'something'' is not specified in law. But locks or locked container/safe would be the obvious first things to consider.