PDA

View Full Version : SacBee: An Article Fearturig Garen Wintemute without any ANTI-GUN CRAP

Stonewalker
07-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Check out this SacBee story about the recent upswing of gun stores in the Sacramento area. (http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/12/4625510/number-of-gun-shops-up-in-sacramento.html) Specifically, check out this quote they got from Wintermute where he didn't disparage gun owners - Garen Wintemute, an emergency medicine doctor and professor of violence prevention at UC Davis, said he is not surprised at the number of new gun shops opening up in the Sacramento area.

"To be honest, I've always been surprised with what few gun stores we have in Sacramento, given the size of the city," he said.

A researcher of guns and violence prevention, Wintemute has been in the field since the late 1980s.

Those who own guns, he said, view guns as a tool. "If I'm serious about owning guns, I might have a small-caliber gun for target practice, another for defense of my home and a shotgun to hunt birds," Wintemute said. "To legitimate gun owners, guns are tools. No one gun fits all those purposes."

The last line gave me chills, given the source. Just thought I'd share this rather strange incident. Wintemute has been publishing junk science to demonize guns for a long time, it's impressive that a journalist was able to interview him about something as unrelated to violence as new gun stores, and get quotes out of him which legitimize the use and ownership of guns.

Dude. That's, just like... man... that's big.

Gray Peterson
07-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Check out this SacBee story about the recent upswing of gun stores in the Sacramento area. (http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/12/4625510/number-of-gun-shops-up-in-sacramento.html) Specifically, check out this quote they got from Wintermute where he didn't disparage gun owners -

The last line gave me chills, given the source. Just thought I'd share this rather strange incident. Wintermute has been publishing junk science to demonize guns for a long time, it's impressive that a journalist was able to interview him about something as unrelated to violence as new gun stores, and get quotes out of him which legitimize the use and ownership of guns.

Dude. That's, just like... man... that's big.

Bet you he'll crap bricks when court ordered shall-issue becomes reality in all 58 counties...

Stonewalker
07-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Bet you he'll crap bricks when court ordered shall-issue becomes reality in all 58 counties...

I'll take that bet, but I bet he's already dropping bricks over the fact that the SacBee didn't continue his quotes which (I'm sure) read something like "... and because gun owners feel like they need to have several death machines, we need to ban all gun stores wherever possible."

SanPedroShooter
07-12-2012, 4:42 AM
The media and even the anti gunners had to slightly modify their tune after Heller, even more after Mcdonald.

This guy goes waaay back to Clinton era gun banning, back when 'they' were winning not us, and his story keeps changing. If take a look at that era, you could say anything about guns and people would nod in agreement, now, you have to watch yourself a bit. Telling the paper that gun owners are all blood thirsty lunatics with machine gun assault rifles is not going to fly when the reader looks over at his shotgun, better yet his AR15 or the small caliber handgun he carries everyday with a newly minted carry permit.

Given the rise in gun ownership and guns sold, I would not be suprised if brady members had those guns he described himself (thats why he said it). They are going to, and have been, going after carry, capacity and availabilty.

And even that will change in the next five years. They had their heyday, just like flat earthers and tee totalers. But raving and ranting about gun bans and confiscation is so 1990....

SanPedroShooter
07-12-2012, 4:48 AM
They will paint themselves as moderate to regain som much lost ground, but scratch the surface and people will get a nasty suprise.

I think thats part of the reason why they fail so badly, people just arent that stupid. Or less stupid about guns than they were. They had their shot in the ninties, and their whole scheme was based on lies that were easily subverted by thousands upon thousands of gun owners (sound familar) and then tossed aside as rubbush ten years later.

I get the feeling while they will always be around in one form or another, they saw their high point some time about 15 or 20 years ago.

RP1911
07-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Interesting that the article quotes 295K+/- handguns were bought from dealers. That's around 0.8% based on 37M state population.

I expected a higher percentage.

Wonder what the percentage is for long guns.

Librarian
07-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Interesting that the article quotes 295K+/- handguns were bought from dealers. That's around 0.8% based on 37M state population.

DOJ publishes DROS data - http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/dros_chart.pdf?

Mulay El Raisuli
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
The pendulum swings.

The Raisuli

OlderThanDirt
07-12-2012, 1:42 PM

Based on Librarian's link, it's about the same (0.8%). However, the percentage of the population that purchase a firearm each year is a meaningless statistic. I know a lot of gun owners that go years to decades between firearm purchases. Plus there are pigs like me that buy multiple firearms in any given year (sadly, only five so far this year). If you compound 1.6% over 30 years, the percentage of gun owners looks more impressive. The 37M population is also an considerable overestimate of eligible gun owners. For the period 1991 through 2011, about 9 million firearms were successfully DROSed. I think, but can't prove, that the percentage of gun owners between 18 and 80 years old, that are citizens, non-felons and non-wife beaters is fairly respectable.

Dreaded Claymore
07-12-2012, 1:49 PM
By the way his name is "Wintemute," with no R.

RP1911
07-12-2012, 2:00 PM
DOJ publishes DROS data - http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/dros_chart.pdf?

Thanks. Combined it's around 1.6%.

307K long guns and 293K handguns. Denial rate is 0.95%.

RP1911
07-12-2012, 2:07 PM
Based on Librarian's link, it's about the same (0.8%). However, the percentage of the population that purchase a firearm each year is a meaningless statistic. I know a lot of gun owners that go years to decades between firearm purchases. Plus there are pigs like me that buy multiple firearms in any given year (sadly, only five so far this year). If you compound 1.6% over 30 years, the percentage of gun owners looks more impressive. The 37M population is also an considerable overestimate of eligible gun owners. For the period 1991 through 2011, about 9 million firearms were successfully DROSed. I think, but can't prove, that the percentage of gun owners between 18 and 80 years old, that are citizens, non-felons and non-wife beaters is fairly respectable.

I used the total population to show what percentage buys in relation to the total population.

At best with all the filters in place, I doubt it will reach 10%. It may actually be closer to 6%.

I'll pull up the census report and see how many are adults and recalculate an estimate.

RP1911
07-12-2012, 2:22 PM

I used the total population to show what percentage buys in relation to the total population.

At best with all the filters in place, I doubt it will reach 10%. It may actually be closer to 6%.

I'll pull up the census report and see how many are adults and recalculate an estimate.

ETA: 26M are above 21. Factor in 3M prohibited and you get about 2.6%. No numbers available for 18 plus. Including those would drop the rate.

These are all estimates.

Source: www.dof.ca.gov/research/demographic/state_census_data_center/census_2010/#DP

Librarian
07-12-2012, 2:30 PM

The 'how many guns' question is one of the perennials.

We can't really use DROS numbers for much - they include PPTs, so we can't suggest those numbers show a net increase in guns.

Nationally, using Kleck's data (that he got from ATF) and extending it by BATF published AFMER data, I project a US 'civilian gun stock' about equal to the total population. But that tells us nothing about distribution.

Some survey data suggests about 35% of the households nationally have at least one gun.