PDA

View Full Version : Powder residue on entire case neck - issue?

bckline
07-11-2012, 5:03 PM
I've been reloading for a couple of months now for my 30-06 (which translates into a couple hundred odd rounds), and I've noticed that the powder residue pattern from my reloads differs substantially from that of factory loads. Spent factory-loaded cases usually have residue just at the very top of the case neck (right case below), while my spent reloaded cases have residue over the entire neck of the case (left case below). If it makes any difference, I've always neck sized thus far, although i'm on the fourth reload of this set of cases so I'm about to do a FL size.

Is this difference in powder residue good / bad / indifferent? Why might my reloads expose more of the case neck to the burning powder? I ask this partially because I haven't been achieving the kind of accuracy gains I was expecting with hand loads, and I'm wondering whether this residue pattern is indicative of something I'm doing wrong.

Fjold
07-11-2012, 5:35 PM
A couple of things contribute to this:

Your reloads may be lower in pressure which means that it takes longer for the brass to seal the chamber, hot gas is travelling down the neck and staining the case.

The second thing that contributes to this is that factory brass is new and freshly annealed which means that the brass expands quicker sealing the chamber. Your reloaded cases are work hardened, everytime that a case is fired and resized the brass gets harder.

gau17
07-12-2012, 7:40 AM
Annealing the cases should take care of it.

bckline
07-12-2012, 7:47 AM
Great, thanks for the info!