View Full Version : Intra-Familial Transfer Question

07-11-2012, 3:03 PM
Have a question about the intra-familial transfer of handguns.

Some time ago, after my grandfather passed away, my grandmother gave me a couple handguns he said he wanted me to have. I had handgun experience but wasn't much interested in shooting at the time so I stuck them up in my closet and forgot about them. I'm now getting back into the hobby (have properly locked them up) and have read-up on the laws and have learned that I should have filed an intra-familial transfer form within 30 days.

My question is: When I submit the transfer form, should I list the date I was given the handguns? Will I be prosecuted or face fines since it is beyond 30 days? Does anyone have any experience or know precedent? ...or should I perjure myself and put-down today's date?

Thanks for any advice!

07-11-2012, 3:10 PM
Put down the actual date. I recently did that on a couple of guns I got after my father passed away in 1985.

Got the letter from DOJ in about 3 weeks stating the guns were now recorded in my name. No big deal.

SoCal Bob
07-11-2012, 3:12 PM
If it was before 1990 then you don't need to do anything. If after, then honesty is the best policy, the state is more interested in having the guns registered than prosecuting.

07-11-2012, 3:13 PM
I think the DOJ primary goal is to get the handguns in your name. Todays date.................

07-11-2012, 3:16 PM
Put down the actual date.
There is no penalty for filing past the mandated time period.

08-06-2012, 9:04 AM
Just received the paperwork on Saturday (three weeks later) stating the handguns are now registered in my name. Thanks for the help, all.