PDA

View Full Version : Liability of selling powder/group buy

Norcalkid
07-11-2012, 1:21 PM
Hi, I was thinking of doing a group buy on powder for guys in my local area. I am just wondering if anybody has any idea what kind of liability I would have. It just doesnít seem worth it if this is going to possibly open me up to a whole bunch of liability. Iím not talking about anything big. Just an add on here and splitting shipping and hasmat on like 4, 8lb kegs. . Does anybody have any idea about this?? Iím still new to this reloading thing. Just paid $29+tax for 1lb of powder locally and looking to try to save a bit next time.

Thanks for the help

Dark Mod
07-11-2012, 1:42 PM
Never talked to an attourney about it but ive never seen a problem with it. If dozens of partners can buy a business in a "Group", why cant dozens of partners buy some powder as a "group"

troysland
07-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Calgunners for the most part are standup people. Keep the communication lines open and document everything to avoid confusion. Collect ALL the funds before placing the order. To be fair, divide shipping and hazmat by total weight. Then distribute charges by weight of each persons order. Some group buys had people use spreadsheets to organize orders. Good luck.

joelogic
07-12-2012, 1:27 PM
Do you mean if someone gets hurt by the powder? Just remember anyone can sue anyone. Stick with people you know if you don't feel comfortable. Or buy 4 8lb jugs yourself. :D

klewan
07-12-2012, 2:24 PM
If anyone has a "kaboom" using your powder, you'll be one of the "John Does", 1-50 that will eventually be listed on the lawsuit. The others will be whomever you bought the powder from and whomever they bought the powder and so on down the line. The other "John Does" have insurance for exactly this sort of thing; you probably don't.

The person you sold the powder to might not sue, but his wife will. Especially if his employment is threatened. She needs to buy more shoes...

Just get a big enough order together for yourself. I get a couple of cases of primers and at least 5 pounds of powder when I order from Graf's. After I figure out which .223 powder I like, then I'll buy a couple of 8# jugs. Even with the Hazmat gouge, it's still cheaper than the gas, sales tax, and inflated prices at the LGS. I've thought about participating in a group buy. But after a $5 bridge toll and $20+ in gas, I couldn't see where I was saving any money compared to the Hazmat fee. YMMV

bandook
07-12-2012, 3:55 PM
Interesting....
Anybody have a 'group buy liability release' form handy :)