PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Homemade Firearms?

zomie
07-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Hey Guys,
I am hoping to look into serializing a few firearms soon, but in the meantime I was looking for suggestions on safely transporting them to the range. I understand it is perfectly legal to make them but if you catch a cop who doesn't understand the law an unserialized firearm is going to cause you a bad time and much heartache.

I was thinking of carrying the following:
-Build photos with my drivers license in them
-Receipts of materials required
-Copy of the law regarding homemade firearms

I have two different ones in progress:
-3d Printed AR 15 ABS Lower reinforced with carbon fiber (chambered for 22)
-Cast 1911 Frame

Since they are truly homemade and not 80%'ers I don't have the letter from the manufacture that they got from the ATF.

Should I just wait to serialize? or do you have suggestions that would clear up questions on this when going to the range or if you encountered an officer who would understandably question such things?

Any info on serializing would be welcome to. I want to do this more for insurance reasons.

If the builds go well I will of course post pictures and how tos

I apologize if I missed a post somewhere. I did do a search and found the references to the calguns.net FAQ which doesn't cover this detail.

Thanks!

ojisan
07-11-2012, 12:58 PM
The legal eagles here advise to put the info on just to avoid confusion and a possible unpleasant situation.
There are Fed requirements for marking, do it right or don't do it at all.
See this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=86627

Jeepers
07-11-2012, 1:03 PM
i have often wondered what recourse someone would have if they where arrested with a unmarked weapon when found legal, could you recoop legal fees seeing that there is nothing illegal about having a "un marked" weapon that is a legal configuration ?

Munk
07-11-2012, 1:04 PM
Legally, you're OK to leave your fully homebuilt firearm unmarked if you never transfer it away from you.

Some cops may not understand that it's homebuilt, and if they see that it lacks a serial, they may assume you removed it, which is somewhat serious. If some officer is stupid enough to do this, you will eventually be exonerated. But that takes time, and likely money.

The advice about putting proper markings on the gun is to avoid such confusion. Check ojisan's link, and you'll find out what is required for letter sizing, placement, and depth of marking.

name, caliber, serial number and manufacturing location on any firearm you wish to be able to sell.

CSACANNONEER
07-11-2012, 1:09 PM
There are millions of legal commercially produced firearms without SNs. If a LEO isn't educated enough to know that, he or she isn't going to care about any papers you might have.

The federal requirements are only needed for transfering homebuilt guns.

zomie
07-11-2012, 1:09 PM
Very interesting ... what do I do for Caliber on the AR? It will have a .223 barrel but a 22 bolt (understandable giving the lower design). Can I put caliper varies?

CSACANNONEER
07-11-2012, 1:16 PM
Caliber "multi"

wash
07-11-2012, 3:28 PM
I will never mark a home made firearm to ATF spec.

There is no reason to unless you want to sell which kind of shoots down the "personal use" part.

I don't intend to show my home built firearms to any police officers so preparing for that is speculation.

If you run in to an A-hole cop, they will probably misunderstand firearm registration laws and markings still won't help you.

I think the fact that the guns I have made are not cheap and I can talk at length about how I made them, why I made them and how they are legal should be convincing when they can't find any code making them illegal.

ssaction
07-11-2012, 6:06 PM
-3d Printed AR 15 ABS Lower reinforced with carbon fiber (chambered for 22)

If the builds go well I will of course post pictures and how tos

Thanks!

I'm interested in this project (even if it doesn't go well). Please post when you are ready.

speeedracerr
07-11-2012, 9:10 PM
I usually leave a piece of paper inside my Magpul MOE grips which sites:

"Per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution."

At least this way, if I'm ever stopped I can just refer officer to the actual provisions located on my firearm. Not sure this will be enough recourse, but at least it will direct officer to actual letter of the law.

Arisaka
07-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Most of my guns are home made, rewelds and such. Nobody has said anything and I take them out all the time.