PDA

View Full Version : First .223 load, any advice????

Norcalkid
07-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Just about to get started reloading. Well still waiting on manual and dies but have everything else (using single stage press kit). Just wondering if any of you are using CFE223 with Hornady 55g bullets(the ones in the 6k packs) and Wolf primers. I guess Iím just wondering what load is working for you? I am just looking to make a plinking load for a 16in Bushmaster XM15.

I guess I have some reading to do when the manual gets here. In the mean time Iím watching a lot of utube videos and I found the reloading walk through on the RCBS website helpful.

Anyway, if any of you have used this powder before I would like to hear how you like it and load recommendations (I will probably just start at 26gr but would still like to hear what works for you). But to be honest at this point Iíll be happy with a load that just functions properly and safely. Also any advice you have for someone completely new to reloading no matter how obvious would be appreciated.

the led farmer
07-11-2012, 4:34 PM
I guess I have some reading to do when the manual gets here. . .

yes, be patient. read lots when it does. follow the directions.

msand951
07-11-2012, 5:43 PM
Well since I started I wanted to make sure I didnt load under powered or over. so I usually go for the middle of what the starting and max load is. And So far everything is good . I also like to ask and search threads of what recipes other people have done and liked. Powders i used for .233 are varget, tac, win 748, 2230, all performed good but really like TAC and the price isnt bad eighter.
IM going to try WC-844 which its similar to h335 . Should be here Friday :D 32lbs of it. LOL But I teamed up with another calgunner to buy this . Heard it works great. And its cheap

Nodda Duma
07-11-2012, 5:47 PM
My load is 55gr FMJBT in LC brass, CCI #41 primer, and 25 gr of H335. That always got me out to the 3 ft gong at 600 yd without trying.

msand951
07-11-2012, 5:50 PM
Here is thread about that power http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/369733_Finally_tested_some_CFE_today.html

ejhc11
07-11-2012, 5:54 PM
Wait up for you manuals, start there on your loads. Follow the recipes, check your brass after shooting, every rifle is different. Its your own safety. If you follow those rules you'll be shooting for a long time.

msand951
07-12-2012, 6:48 AM
^^^----- What ejc11 said, dont go over max , start on the lower side and work up you will be fine its easier than you think ;). The fact that your doing your reasearch and asking questions tells me your being cautious which is good and your ready to start reloading.
I started loading to save money but I ended up spending a little more and shooting 3x more and even took up casting but thats a different subject.

dbbspider
07-12-2012, 8:44 AM
I also recommend wc844 as the price is right

Norcalkid
07-12-2012, 3:51 PM
I have 1lb of CFE so that will be my first powder. Lyman 49th and dies came in the mail today. Figure I'll read that this wkend before opening everything.

Thanks for all the replies