View Full Version : Bay area fishing (return)

07-11-2012, 10:53 AM
So after a LOOOONG break from fishing, a few recent experiences have made me want to get back to the sport. I decided that I needed the "one with nature" time as well as to make it a point to spend time with buddies and my dad who is an avid fisherman. We have many years of great memories that will forever be burned into my mind, and I am hoping to create more.
Last week my cousin and I hit Stevens Creek Res. last week and hooked up on a few small fish. This only fueled my desire to get back into fishin and we ended up hitting another local lake a few days later. This weekend I am now trying to see how I can squeeze in a few hours of fishing in between the laundry list of things I have to do!
Does anyone have any recent condition reports on any of the local lakes? I dont want your secret spot or ect, but just water conditions. Stevens creek was clean and clear as usual, but Coyote lake has some sort of algae bloom thats turning the water green and murkey.

Sorry only photo I took that weekend-

07-11-2012, 11:27 AM
A good source. It's better to get a subscription to the magazine/paper . . .

07-11-2012, 3:16 PM
Shadow cliff lake for thunder trout and rainbow is good, but u have to get out there pretty early also Los vauqeros has been hitting strippers and trout.

07-11-2012, 7:12 PM
I have done the same, use to fish freshwater all the time, bass tournament, fishing for trout in the western and northern sierras. Didn't get into fly fishing yet. Decided fishing for good tasting quality trout takes at least 3 plus hours for drive time. We live so close to the beach that I took up surf fishing, fish are bigger, and taste better, and seem to put up a better fight, and of coarse the scenery is great. Now I charter boats and fish all up the north coast. 50 lb. seabass are in the montery bay right now! Have not fished down south though for the much written about yellowtail, but I am thinking about it. What I have read about the fish is the you have to be there because they will be biting red hot for 7-10 days then turn of for a couple of months. Albacore seem to be the same way and I have read mixed reports about albacore fighting way more than salmon, other fisherman say they fight the same. I like to keep the fish I target at 100 lb. and less.

07-11-2012, 9:06 PM
Walk into Sportsman Supply off Camden. They have a white board above the registers showing the conditions at the local lakes.