PDA

View Full Version : handgun carry question

billstoudt
07-11-2012, 9:59 AM
our condominium complex has had a rash of burglaries in the past few months most of these happening during the working hours of the day. I work from home so i see all the comings and goings of all people that use our private driveway during the day. additionally we have had 2 people that have been mugged on the way to their mailbox

we are a small complex with no thru traffic so any strange vehicles or people in our little closed street (20 units ) is quite obviously not supposed to be there.

a few days ago i caught a suspicious person throwing some meat over my fence that had pills in it in an effort to poison my dog.

today on the way to get my mail, i accidentally ran across the same person along with another individual tampering with a lock of my neighbors door. instead of acting surprised to see me he brazenly told me to "mind my own F&#King business " the second individual had some metal bar and made the motion as to infer a threat.

i called the police and they arrived a while later but the two people were gone. they had left a few minutes after the confrontation.

my question is this. our entire complex is private property. we have no public street. i would like to carry my firearm with me when i go get my mail or if i see a suspicious person in the middle of the night. however i would like to do this within the confines of the law so i dont create a legal problem for myself or any type of problem with my local LEOs any input would be greatly appreciated.

ucsdryder
07-11-2012, 10:13 AM
I would move.

billstoudt
07-11-2012, 10:17 AM
yeah i know i'm only waiting for my fiance to finish Nursing school then we are moving to texas.

Librarian
07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Not a LEO question, but a legal FAQ.

NO, you may not carry outside your apartment unless you have LTC.

'Public' and 'private' do not have their common meaning when related to carrying guns.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Unlicensed_Concealed_Carry

billstoudt
07-11-2012, 10:55 AM
can i open carry the firearm ?

paul0660
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
same person

Dog poisoning AND burglary. How about going Barney Fife on them and getting a license plate number, OR a cell phone pic?

can i open carry the firearm ?

No.

cruising7388
07-11-2012, 11:17 AM
yeah i know i'm only waiting for my fiance to finish Nursing school then we are moving to texas.

Texas, Schmexas! Please, get outta there now! Move to a Motel 6 if you have to but deliver yourself and your fiance from that environment. As things currently stand in the country, successfully defending yourself against criminals could afflict you with a cure that's worse than the disease.

Lugiahua
07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
If you can prove that someone intends to poison your dog and invade your house, might be able to use it as good cause for a LTC.

Glock22Fan
07-11-2012, 11:32 AM
If you can prove that someone intends to poison your dog and invade your house, might be able to use it as good cause for a LTC.

But you cannot use "inside your house" as part of your Good Cause, as you don't need a CCW/LTC to carry there anyhow.

SilverTauron
07-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Texas, Schmexas! Please, get outta there now! Move to a Motel 6 if you have to but deliver yourself and your fiance from that environment. As things currently stand in the* STATE* successfully defending yourself against criminals could afflict you with a cure that's worse than the disease.

Fixed.

Melodrama aside,this is a no win scenario.Use of any weapon to defend yourself or resist criminal attack in a state like CA will doubtlessly land you-the OP-in prison.Not resisting obviously isn't much better of an outcome.The crooks know the staus quo,hence the bravado.

Bottom line,the only legal solution is to move somewhere which makes life harder for the felons instead of their targets.

paul0660
07-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I am careful these days, but my post #6 should have been read to be sarcastic.

Dantedamean
07-11-2012, 12:10 PM
I would get a belt shell carrier and open carry my shotgun.

Edit:
I'm not at all advocating criminal activity but it sounds like the police presence is non-existent. Just saying. Just don't kill anyone while doing illegal activity, if something does happen tell the police nothing more then "I was in fear for my life, I want to speak to a lawyer" ( I'm not a lawyer but I know a lot of LEOs and they all tell me the same thing. That's the best thing you can do in a bad situation. )

EM2
07-11-2012, 12:34 PM
what city / county do you live in?

I would recommend getting a LTC if at all possible.

At a minimum you can still take a LTC class in which you should learn some of the law concerning carrying a firearm and self defence.

desertjosh
07-11-2012, 1:44 PM
What part of town is this so I can avoid it.

paul0660
07-11-2012, 1:52 PM
i caught a suspicious person throwing some meat over my fence that had pills in it in an effort to poison my dog.

i accidentally ran across the same person along with another individual tampering with a lock of my neighbors door.

The belt shell carrier is the best part.

SilverTauron
07-11-2012, 2:22 PM

Edit:
I'm not at all advocating criminal activity but it sounds like the police presence is non-existent. Just saying. Just don't kill anyone while doing illegal activity, if something does happen tell the police nothing more then "I was in fear for my life, I want to speak to a lawyer" ( I'm not a lawyer but I know a lot of LEOs and they all tell me the same thing. That's the best thing you can do in a bad situation. )

Catch is the crook can dial the police and lie by stating the OP threatened HIM with the shotgun by open carrying it. The "non-existent" police activity will change quick fast and in a hurry at a call for a "Man with a Gun" placed by the burglars themselves.

This is one reason why even if a permit holder draws a gun only to see the bad guy run the other way, the police should be called.No crime or robbery has happened , but this prevents the bad guy from running home and dialing the police claiming the TARGET pulled a gun on HIM. The 911 operator doesn't know the context of the situation, so this can result in a legal citizen being treated as the aggressor until LE investigates matters.