PDA

View Full Version : Legality of tranquilizer guns for self defense...

Pat Riot
07-11-2012, 8:30 AM
I have convinced my co-worker that she should retain some means of self-defense. However, she says that she could never bring herself to shooting someone with a lethal firearm. Thus far the standard arguments of reason have not worked.

Anyways, she ended up asking me about getting a tranquilizer gun and if they were legal and how effective they are. Effectiveness can be argued from many different angles, but I have no idea what the laws in CA are regarding tranquilizers. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Dave22
07-11-2012, 8:35 AM
The tranquilizer itself is a controlled substance class 2 narcotics typically, need to have a DEA number and license. They do not hand those out to your average Joe.

Not likely this is going to happen unless she is fish and game, or a vet.

JON KARGATHALON
07-11-2012, 8:36 AM
even if you could get one, the tranquilizer effect would not be instantanious like you see in the movies, even the most powerful tranquilizers take a miniute of so to move throuout the bloodstream. I would Reccommend a Tazer over a tranq gun, and if a Tazer is too expensive, then a handheld stungun or stun baton.:)

Quiet
07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
In addition to taking several minutes to work...
If the dose isn't right, a tranquilizer will kill a human being.

boxcutter3005
07-11-2012, 10:18 AM
In addition to taking several minutes to work...
If the dose isn't right, a tranquilizer will kill a human being.

If the dose isn't right it also could possibly do nothing at all. There's a reason anesthesiologists get paid a lot money.

mdimeo
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
If she's not going to make the right choice, a civilian-model taser and a good pair of running shoes is one of the better of the wrong choices.

Tranquilizer guns are right out. They're either ineffective or deadly.

em9sredbeam
07-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Ideas like that only come from movies. Set her up, have someone chase her with a knife, then call it off and ask her how she feels about getting a gun now.... Just kidding... sort of. Not advising that as it would be illegal. I never understood the sentiment of not being able to kill someone who is trying to kill you. It doesn't make sense.

Curley Red
07-11-2012, 10:42 AM
But the tranquilizer gun worked so cool in Old School.

Lugiahua
07-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Ideas like that only come from movies. Set her up, have someone chase her with a knife, then call it off and ask her how she feels about getting a gun now.... Just kidding... sort of. Not advising that as it would be illegal. I never understood the sentiment of not being able to kill someone who is trying to kill you. It doesn't make sense.

our society and education over-demonized deadly forces even justified.
it is sometimes necessary to use lethal forces in order to preserve other lives.

em9sredbeam
07-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Damn strait. They want to create a generation of sheep and it seems they are succeeding.

unusedusername
07-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Tranqulizers are controlled substances, so you would need a perscription to even get one. They also have a short shelf life for the liquid kind and they need to be kept refrigerated. Quantity of tranqulizer per shot would need to be carefully calculated based on the weight of the target.

Its not exactly a fast access, low maintence item. Even with animals, if the animal is threatining someone they just use a gun as tranquilizer guns are too complicated.

Suggest a Tazer if the coworker won't use a gun. Just be aware that tazers are not no-maintence either. The batteries need servicing every year or so.

Cali-Shooter
07-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Convince her to get a Kimber Pepper Blaster instead. It's legal and easy to get, and is not in Hollywood-land for self defense ideas against human assailants.

repubconserv
07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
now wait a second guys, I have personally used tranqs to instantly put down multiple threats while on covert missions and they all worked fine.

Sincerely

phamkl
07-11-2012, 1:00 PM
Tazer for sure. One problem with the Tazer is that they have to be aimed and, even though they're more forgiving than a handgun or even a shotgun, under a high stress environment you might not hit with enough of the barbs to be effective.

Or smoke bombs. A bunch of matches and a tennis ball ought to lay down a screen thick enough to escape.

Brianguy
07-11-2012, 5:43 PM
maybe bean bag rounds in a shotgun?
http://www.keepshooting.com/12-gauge-ballistic-bean-bag-round.html

Librarian
07-11-2012, 6:08 PM
maybe bean bag rounds in a shotgun?
http://www.keepshooting.com/12-gauge-ballistic-bean-bag-round.html

No point - using a gun with any ammo is 'deadly force' - might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

Pepper spray, shoot and scoot. (Or, spray and pray, but do your praying while opening up distance.)

dantodd
07-11-2012, 6:26 PM
As others have said. Good Pepper spray or a Tazer. Personally, I'd go for a Tazer before pepper spray.

Lugiahua
07-11-2012, 6:34 PM
now wait a second guys, I have personally used tranqs to instantly put down multiple threats while on covert missions and they all worked fine.

Sincerely

I don't remember James Bond uses a tranq. Solid Snake from Metal Gear is probably more associated with tranq in popular culture.
but it is certainly that general public have all kinds crazy impression about tranq, even my mom ask me if it's possible to use one against armed intruder instead of use firearms. (for the same reason with the lady in OP)

advocatusdiaboli
07-11-2012, 9:04 PM
Taser & big dog if not making the right choice to use lethal force to defend your life. Still think it's a bad idea though.

wash
07-11-2012, 9:14 PM
The premium non-lethal weapon system is an active denial system. Just get one of those from Raytheon.

scarville
07-11-2012, 9:18 PM
Pepper spray, stun gun and tazer. Hell, I'll shoot a goblin if I have to but I still have the first two at home for self defense and I normally carry pepper spray when out and about. Beats harsh language.

unusedusername
07-11-2012, 9:49 PM
The premium non-lethal weapon system is an active denial system. Just get one of those from Raytheon.

Actually if the OP had the money they probably could get one as long as it isn't for export.

Microwave cannons are not regulated yet (except perhaps by the FCC)?

The only issue with using one for HD is the hour+ spin-up time before you can use it.

ChuckBooty
07-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Tell her just to get a dish rag and some ether.

CCWFacts
07-12-2012, 9:45 AM
I'm sure tranquilizer guns would be illegal to CCW just like BB guns or other non-firearm objects. As everyone else has said, they also bring in a whole bunch of issues with controlled substances, and probably they are not available for purchase by anyone who isn't an animal control professional. Using one would also trigger its own mountain of legal problems. This idea is different but it's a no-go from every possible angle, whether for carrying around or having in the home.

Get a gun, get pepper spray, get a knife, or a cellphone, a stungun, or a big dog, or a combination of the above. Those are really the only legally viable options that exist here.