PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Revolver

ChrisKalan
07-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Anyone making a 9mm revolver?
Looked around, can't seem to get much info about it.

If you know about one, please share the make and model.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

StormRaven
07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Check out the Taurus 905 and the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible. I have no experience with them, just know they are out there.

Merovign
07-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Just to be annoying, I'll mention a very rare one I want desperately - the Colt Survivor. 5-shot 9mm. And 9mmx21, and 9mmx23. And .38. And .357. And 9mm Largo, and .380, and supposedly 9mmx18 (which is a different bullet diameter).

Another manufacturer made a similar one but I don't remember the name.

I don't know if Chiappa's Rhino is going to be "legal," but there was talk of temporary single-action conversions to get by the roster. They have a 9mm.

S&W (940) and Ruger (SP101) have made 9mms in the past in some numbers.

I think Charter arms made one, the CARR in 9mm, .40 and .45, may still.

h0use
07-11-2012, 5:31 AM
Ruger SP101 Ruger Speed-Six S&W 940
Taurus 905

Quiet
07-11-2012, 6:01 AM
Just to be annoying, I'll mention a very rare one I want desperately - the Colt Survivor. 5-shot 9mm. And 9mmx21, and 9mmx23. And .38. And .357. And 9mm Largo, and .380, and supposedly 9mmx18 (which is a different bullet diameter).

Colt Survivor never made it out of prototype phase, you'll have better luck finding a Phillips & Rodgers Medusa Model 47.

The Colt Survivor was suppose to be Colt's licensed version of the Phillips & Rodgers Medusa Model 47.
Colt bought the rights, made a few prototypes, then decided that making double-action revolvers was no longer fit their company image and cancelled the project, along with the majority of handguns they use to make for the civilian market (during this time period, Colt was considered to be "anti-gun". due to their support for gun control laws and their desire to just make firearms for the Gov/Mil/LE market).

EDIT:
There's a Phillips & Rodgers Medusa Model 47 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=295120975) currently (2 days left) on gunbroker, buy it now for $10,000.00.

shooting4life
07-11-2012, 8:45 AM
Your best beat if you want a nice 9mm revolver is to buy a s&w 627 and have the cylinder cut to 9mm. You will have to use moon clips though. Your other option is a 547 but they are expensive and hard to find.

paul0660
07-11-2012, 8:51 AM
Your best beat if you want a nice 9mm revolver is to buy a s&w 627 and have the cylinder cut to 9mm. You will have to use moon clips though. Your other option is a 547 but they are expensive and hard to find.

They can do that? 9mm is tapered, .357 straight. Impressive machining, and I wouldn't mess up a .357 to shoot 9mm.

Vacaville
07-11-2012, 8:53 AM
Just get a .357/.38 spl revolver. Covers a wide power range that goes from semi-wimpy to kaboom! .38 spl is one of my favorite rounds, it's great for target shooting. Very accurate, not too expensive, light recoil. .38+P is very similar to 9mm in power.

If you have to have 9mm, look at the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible. Single action only though.

missiondude
07-11-2012, 9:04 AM
I have heard second hand rumors from a reliable source that S&W is going to be offering a model 627 in 9mm. What that means, I am not sure. Is at a 357 barreled gun with a cylinder cut to 9mm meaning a .355 bullet will be coming out of a .357 barrel? I have a 627-4 that is chambered in 38 super (356 bullet). I just shot a box of 9mm Federal HST out of it using the "stock" Herthco (I believe) moons. WWB will not fit in the moons. I got a sample from Ranch Products that holds and chambers any 9mm ammo I have into the gun. I will be doing a range test that will include 5 shot groups of as many different types of ammo as I can lay my hands on at 5 yards, 10 yards, 15 yards and 25 yards. I will post the results when I get it done. I can say that the HST appears to shoot very well at 15 yars and closer on IDPA targets, but I am curious how accurate it actually is. The good news is you can buy a 627-4 in CA as it is on the list. The bad news is it is a very hard to find gun and expensive. There are gunsmiths that will ream your .357 mag cylinder and cut it for moons so that you can shoot 9x23, 38 super, and 9mm.

rp55
07-11-2012, 9:19 AM
Ruger New Model Blackhawk with .38/357 and 9MM cylinders. Model 10308. I have never seen one of these for sale in a local gun shop. Saw one used 6.5" barrel on consignment once but wanted the shorter barrel. Purchased it from Ruger Outlet. (http://www.ruger.thegunsource.com/item/69028_Ruger_Handguns_Pistols_RUG_BLACKHAWK_357MAG_ 9MM_4_5_CONVERTIBLE_BLUED.aspx) They usually sell out as soon as they get a shipment in so if you want one get on their alert list.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/rpwhite55/guns/P7280003.jpg

tal3nt
07-11-2012, 11:07 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. I bet it's going to be the next big thing. Kind of how polymer pocket 9's are right now.

paul0660
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. I bet it's going to be the next big thing. Kind of how polymer pocket 9's are right now.

Exactly the same.

A QUESTION NOT ASKED.

Unless, of course, you are sitting on a mountain of 9mm and can't get anything else.

Change a .357 into a 9mm? No worse than changing a Corvette into a Nova.

cnj
07-11-2012, 11:11 AM
-Taurus 905 (I have one)-still in production, but not on "the list".
-S&W 940-no longer in production
-S&W 547-no longer in production (unique in that no moon clip is ever required).
-Ruger SP101-no longer in production
-Ruger Speed-Six-no longer in production
-Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .38/.357/9mm-still in production-cowboy style single action.
-Charter Arms has said they will release a 9mm version of their Bulldog CARR revolver (the .40 SW version exists, but is not on the "list", but the 9mm version is still vaporware). I will buy one of these if they ever materialize due to the fact that they don't require moon clips.
-IMI made a S&W 547 clone for the Isreali Military.
-There is also some funky Chinese 9mm revolver used by the chinese police, but I have only seen a pic of one.

gorenut
07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I would love to get my hands on the Model 47 Medusa. Main reason is because it can accept 9mm and 357. I dunno if I'd want a dedicated 9mm revolver, but a revolver that will easily accept 9mm or 357 without swapping out the cylinder would be sweet. The Medusa had a built in clip in the cylinder that would adjust to the cartridge. No moonclips needed.

paul0660
07-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I would love to get my hands on the Model 47 Medusa. Main reason is because it can accept 9mm and 357. I dunno if I'd want a dedicated 9mm revolver, but a revolver that will easily accept 9mm or 357 without swapping out the cylinder would be sweet. The Medusa had a built in clip in the cylinder that would adjust to the cartridge. No moonclips needed.

I read up on the Medusa, but am I completely wonky thinking that, despite superior metalurgy, that the problem is the tapered 9mm working in a .357 straight cylinder? I guess, with fire forming, they aren't worried about recycling those 9mm cases?

ChrisKalan
07-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info everybody!
I do think that 9mm revolvers will be the next big thing.

Its probably the cheapest and most available cartridge.

Revolvers are more reliable than semi auto pistols.

Looks like a match made in heaven!

Off to kickstarter to try and fund this :p

Seriously though I'm surprised its not more common.

missiondude
07-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I read up on the Medusa, but am I completely wonky thinking that, despite superior metalurgy, that the problem is the tapered 9mm working in a .357 straight cylinder? I guess, with fire forming, they aren't worried about recycling those 9mm cases? Having just shot a bunch of 9mm out of my 38 super revolver, I can tell you there is no problem with the case not forming to the cylinder to trap the gasses, then releasing for extraction. The 9mm cases come out looking like short 38 supers. I put calipers on them, and all the taper is gone. I suspect 38 super reloading gear could be used on these "9mm" cases and they could easily be loaded with .356 bullets.

BigJ
07-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Ruger New Model Blackhawk with .38/357 and 9MM cylinders. Model 10308. I have never seen one of these for sale in a local gun shop. Saw one used 6.5" barrel on consignment once but wanted the shorter barrel. Purchased it from Ruger Outlet. (http://www.ruger.thegunsource.com/item/69028_Ruger_Handguns_Pistols_RUG_BLACKHAWK_357MAG_ 9MM_4_5_CONVERTIBLE_BLUED.aspx) They usually sell out as soon as they get a shipment in so if you want one get on their alert list.Yep. Darn rare gun.

Having said that, I am selling mine on :(: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=593706

PS: rp is that Metcalf? I'd recognize those rugs and that wood anywhere :D

paul0660
07-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I put calipers on them, and all the taper is gone.

Ok, like I said.

they could easily be loaded with .356 bullets.

StormRaven
07-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Its probably the cheapest and most available cartridge.

Huh. In my (admittedly limited) experience, that description falls to the .22LR.

gorenut
07-11-2012, 1:06 PM
Huh. In my (admittedly limited) experience, that description falls to the .22LR.

Cheapest maybe.. but definitely far from the most reliable.. especially if you want to keep the cheap into the equation.

I wouldn't say 9mm is the cheapest or the most reliable (I think all the major centerfire cartridges are equally reliable if they're quality ammo), but its definitely a good mix of the two.

ChrisKalan
07-11-2012, 4:53 PM

Good point. I stand corrected!

Merovign
07-11-2012, 5:04 PM
Colt Survivor never made it out of prototype phase, you'll have better luck finding a Phillips & Rodgers Medusa Model 47.

The Colt Survivor was suppose to be Colt's licensed version of the Phillips & Rodgers Medusa Model 47.

I must have read about it before they collapsed the deal.

Looked it up now, *classic* legal cluster****, hugely popular item never made in quantity because someone who couldn't manage to make it sued/threatened someone who could.

So, we never got it.

Yay.

In these days of CNC magic, one wonders if some enterprising engineer might get hold of the plans. Probably would still be sued for making it - does anyone do 80% revolver frames? :)

jjdurso
07-12-2012, 9:52 AM
Chris, I've looked at 9mm revolvers too and heard nothing good. 357/38 is the combo made in heaven, why mess with it?

ChrisKalan
07-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Chris, I've looked at 9mm revolvers too and heard nothing good. 357/38 is the combo made in heaven, why mess with it?

I guess I want to avoid buying yet another caliber of ammo. Got a whole bunch of 9mm, it would be efficient if I could use it in a revolver as well.

Chances are I will be purchasing a 357/38 if I every decide to buy a revolver.

Thanks everyone!

BigJ
07-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Chris, I've looked at 9mm revolvers too and heard nothing good. 357/38 is the combo made in heaven, why mess with it?Can you elaborate? I own one and could tell you several good things about it. :confused:

Can't buy anything here
07-12-2012, 12:20 PM
A 9mm revolver does have advantages....ammo is cheaper ( and if you shoot 9mm autos, you can standardize your ammo)....and if you CCW, you can carry a couple of half moon clips in your pocket, which although a tad slower than a speedloader, is less bulky in the pants...I never carry a speedloader for my 38 for that reason....I do use speed strips though..