PDA

View Full Version : Open carry on balcony

Dantedamean
07-10-2012, 4:54 PM
I live near foothills and there has been an increase in bear sightings in the area.

I was wondering if I could LOC my hunting rifle on my balcony in the event one is roaming my neighborhood?

I figure it falls under the same category as LOC in your yard with a high fence.

ape0r
07-10-2012, 5:09 PM
Can't comment on the legality, but that bear better be eating a toddler before you shoot it from your balcony!! :laugh:

Dantedamean
07-10-2012, 5:13 PM
Can't comment on the legality, but that bear better be eating a toddler before you shoot it from your balcony!! :laugh:

Haha ya I figured.

vincewarde
07-10-2012, 5:30 PM
At this point you can UOC a long gun almost anywhere - definitely on your balcony. If you have a detachable magazine rifle in a large enough caliber, I would load the mag, keep the rifle unloaded and only load if and when the need should arise.

Of course, as I am sure you realize, you must be prepared to justify shooting a game animal out of season and very possibly discharging a firearm in a populated area. Minor property damage, IMHO, is no where near enough. Breaking into an occupied home, directly threatening humans, etc. would be my person minimum. Also keep in mind where a missed shot will go (or a round that passes through the animal).

Perhaps someone from CA DFG can help out by giving us a general idea what justifies shooting an animal in self defense.

wash
07-10-2012, 5:50 PM
LOC is totally legal because balconies are not public places.

Brandishing might be an issue if you have a neighbor that accuses you of pointing your rifle at people or things.

As far as shooting a bear, I believe that is legal if it is threatening livestock and that may include pets.

My advise is keep a loaded rifle just inside the door or even on the balcony but don't carry it on a sling or point it at anything unless you know your neighbors will not see you or not care.

Just try not to attract negative attention especially if you think you will eventually have to shoot.

Wiz-of-Awd
07-10-2012, 5:53 PM
...Perhaps someone from CA DFG can help out by giving us a general idea what justifies shooting an animal in self defense.

That's a great question. One I've even thought a a bit about lately - randomly.

S/B a new thread...

A.W.D.

Dantedamean
07-10-2012, 6:02 PM
LOC is totally legal because balconies are not public places.

Brandishing might be an issue if you have a neighbor that accuses you of pointing your rifle at people or things.

As far as shooting a bear, I believe that is legal if it is threatening livestock and that may include pets.

My advise is keep a loaded rifle just inside the door or even on the balcony but don't carry it on a sling or point it at anything unless you know your neighbors will not see you or not care.

Just try not to attract negative attention especially if you think you will eventually have to shoot.

Ya I have some neighbors that are dicks. So I fully expect to have them complain to the police about it. I just want to make sure LOC was in fact legal in a balcony.

I was also wondering if the 1000ft school zone applies to long guns? I have one both east and west of my street -.-

Demonicspire
07-10-2012, 6:14 PM
GFz's have no effect on your property. As long as you are on your property you can carry your gun, that includes your balcony since that is part of your property. As for shooting the bear.. eh, I don't think you should take the shot if it is just nosing around and not doing any harm.

scarville
07-10-2012, 6:16 PM
AFIAK it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded gun on your balcony but be discreet. If your local city council or the state legislature decides to ban open display of firearms in public view who do you think the Calgunners will blame?

wash
07-10-2012, 6:16 PM
I am pretty sure that GFSZs prohibit the open carry of long guns.

On the other hand, GFSZs do not extend to private property.

You can legally carry concealed and loaded on private property that is not publicly accessible so I'm pretty sure that long gun LOC is fine in the same places and probably prohibited where unlicensed CCW is prohibited.

vintagearms
07-10-2012, 6:21 PM
The level of stupidity of the OP's post is just amazing. :facepalm:

Dantedamean
07-10-2012, 6:35 PM
I am pretty sure that GFSZs prohibit the open carry of long guns.

On the other hand, GFSZs do not extend to private property.

You can legally carry concealed and loaded on private property that is not publicly accessible so I'm pretty sure that long gun LOC is fine in the same places and probably prohibited where unlicensed CCW is prohibited.

Ya I knew it was fine on private property but I've only heard GFSZs talked about with pistols. Never rifles.

OlderThanDirt
07-11-2012, 1:58 PM
LOC on your balcony for all to see is a good way to get shot, or at a minimum to have a very interesting conversation with LE. Shooting a bear from your balcony would likely get you a free membership at the county country club where you could just hang out and enjoy your next bromance.

YubaRiver
07-11-2012, 2:10 PM
You could end up like this guy-

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20100527/NEWS/100529903

Shot a small bear that broke into his home where his small daughter was and
was convicted and banished by public opinion from his home. Also charged.

http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/20100601/NEWS/100609996/1061&ParentProfile=1050

Dantedamean
07-11-2012, 2:18 PM
You could end up like this guy-

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20100527/NEWS/100529903

Shot a small bear that broke into his home where his small daughter was and
was convicted and banished by public opinion from his home. Also charged.

http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/20100601/NEWS/100609996/1061&ParentProfile=1050

Amazing... I need to get the hell out of here.

Bhobbs
07-11-2012, 2:51 PM
“We know for a fact that bears don't attack people, and little 75-pound cubs would certainly not attack a person,” Bryant said. “To shoot a cub is certainly not acceptable, and people who do that should not live in Tahoe — we're absolutely horrified.”

Uh...... wtf?

hornswaggled
07-11-2012, 5:56 PM
Don't they have a wildlife service where you live? Why do you need to LOC on your balcony?

Lugiahua
07-11-2012, 6:02 PM
“We know for a fact that bears don't attack people, and little 75-pound cubs would certainly not attack a person,” Bryant said. “To shoot a cub is certainly not acceptable, and people who do that should not live in Tahoe — we're absolutely horrified.”

Uh...... wtf?

must be someone associate with PETA :rolleyes:

taperxz
07-11-2012, 6:23 PM
The level of stupidity of the OP's post is just amazing. :facepalm:

Second that.

wash
07-11-2012, 8:30 PM
There is nothing wrong with identifying a threat and preparing yourself.

The problem is that if your neighbors see you carrying a rifle and then a few days later a bear is dead, they will probably blame you for hunting the bear like the other knee-jerkers on here would, even if the bear was attacking you when you shot.

Protect yourself, just try not to broadcast it to your neighbors.

IrishPirate
07-11-2012, 8:40 PM
just be smart about it and have the gun near you, but not on you. think about this....would you call the police if you saw your neighbor doing this?
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO1sYNi-het_hN3lEV3xJxRjCrI2M-lQiho2quX2ZMVFszMkwt1w

and be prepared to explain that you HAD to kill the bear while you were waiting at a vantage point with a loaded gun for a bear to come around.....i doubt it will go over very well.

Dantedamean
07-11-2012, 8:51 PM
There is nothing wrong with identifying a threat and preparing yourself.

The problem is that if your neighbors see you carrying a rifle and then a few days later a bear is dead, they will probably blame you for hunting the bear like the other knee-jerkers on here would, even if the bear was attacking you when you shot.

Protect yourself, just try not to broadcast it to your neighbors.

Ya that was the idea, I can see most of my street from my balcony. This was just a thought that crossed my mind, I'm not a moron like some people are suggesting lol I understand how to conduct myself with a firearm and I understand that, short of the bear mauling a bus full of handicapped school children, I can't shoot it.

On annother note I have a bushmaster 450, so if that bear did turn up dead, it will be a longshot to connect it to me lol

taperxz
07-11-2012, 9:10 PM
just be smart about it and have the gun near you, but not on you. think about this....would you call the police if you saw your neighbor doing this?
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO1sYNi-het_hN3lEV3xJxRjCrI2M-lQiho2quX2ZMVFszMkwt1w

and be prepared to explain that you HAD to kill the bear while you were waiting at a vantage point with a loaded gun for a bear to come around.....i doubt it will go over very well.

Ya that was the idea, I can see most of my street from my balcony. This was just a thought that crossed my mind, I'm not a moron like some people are suggesting lol I understand how to conduct myself with a firearm and I understand that, short of the bear mauling a bus full of handicapped school children, I can't shoot it.

On annother note I have a bushmaster 450, so if that bear did turn up dead, it will be a longshot to connect it to me lol

Please! The help given to the OP is ridiculous. The OP is assinine. Shooting a CA black bear from a BALCONY???? Is instant felony!! The black bear better be mauling someone when he shoots it. This thread is pure idiocy!!

Dantedamean
07-11-2012, 9:14 PM
Please! The help given to the OP is ridiculous. The OP is assinine. Shooting a CA black bear from a BALCONY???? Is instant felony!! The black bear better be mauling someone when he shoots it. This thread is pure idiocy!!

Ok I've been trying to ignore your antagonistic BS but now your just not reading the posts... If you think this thread is so idiotic feel free to ignore it.

Can a mod please lock this, my question has been answered.

taperxz
07-11-2012, 9:19 PM
Ok I've been trying to ignore your antagonistic BS but now your just not reading the posts... If you think this thread is so idiotic feel free to ignore it.

No I won't! A bear, from a balcony? Stupid is as stupid does.

taperxz
07-11-2012, 9:36 PM

Can a mod please lock this, my question has been answered.

Perhaps, you could have thought about this prior to posting it. Just sayin...

Python2
07-12-2012, 6:10 AM
Second that.

Third, I cant believe I read this post.

Uxi
07-12-2012, 7:10 AM
Almost certainly going to be victimized by a "man with a gun" call since 911 operators, police and dispatch would never respond with the most obvious next question ("is he pointing it at anyone?" etc). Though it's legal any LEO who wants to mess with you, can and will.

Oceanbob
07-12-2012, 7:15 AM
Whether legal or not....it can only label gun owners as wackos.

Let's just say NO to this idea.

:D

OlderThanDirt
07-12-2012, 7:23 AM
This thread reminds me of a movie.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQwMjc4MjMyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk0NDczMQ@@._ V1_.jpg

I can see it now. Police respond to a report of a man with a gun.

LE: Open the door and come outside.

Man with Gun: Go away! 'Batin'!

Fate
07-12-2012, 8:48 AM
It didn't work out so well for the guy with the hose and spray nozzle standing on HIS balcony last year.

moleculo
07-12-2012, 9:13 PM
[/B]

Perhaps, you could have thought about this prior to posting it. Just sayin...

We get bears all the time on my street in a major city against the foothills. There was one on my backyard 3 weeks ago. There was one recently on my neighbor's roof. If I had a two story house, it would have been on the same level as the balcony because the houses are on a slope. His question is a fair question if you have been in similar circumstances

Stop being an *ss to everyone that has a legitimate question in this forum section.

wash
07-12-2012, 9:28 PM
Don't you know bears can't climb trees, obviously they can't climb balconies...

The people calling you names obviously do not deal with wildlife or maybe will end up like that Grizzly Man guy and get eaten because they think wild animals are their friend and 100% predictable.

taperxz
07-12-2012, 9:35 PM
We get bears all the time on my street in a major city against the foothills. There was one on my backyard 3 weeks ago. There was one recently on my neighbor's roof. If I had a two story house, it would have been on the same level as the balcony because the houses are on a slope. His question is a fair question if you have been in similar circumstances

Stop being an *ss to everyone that has a legitimate question in this forum section.

Documentation or you are lying. My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. I see bears all the time, they run away. Shooting bears from a balcony of a mulit residential building is not only stupid but also illegal.

Dantedamean
07-12-2012, 9:44 PM
Eh I've given up on this thread. If this was posted in a forum for any other state there wouldn't be an issue. I don't know if it's California or just because we're on the Internet that people feel compelled to act like dicks.

Python2
07-13-2012, 7:44 AM
My take on this and please no offense intended, the title of this thread is why you got all the nasty responses. Its not even an issue and not worth asking. If you feel threatend by whatever leave your gun at arms reach un-seen from the balcony.

SilverTauron
07-13-2012, 7:54 AM
I live near foothills and there has been an increase in bear sightings in the area.

I was wondering if I could LOC my hunting rifle on my balcony in the event one is roaming my neighborhood?

I figure it falls under the same category as LOC in your yard with a high fence.

1:Is there not some law in your city banning discharge of firearms in town limits?

2:If you have time to get a gun , load it, and shoot it the argument could be made that you had plenty of time to call Animal Control and retreat into your home. Im not supporting the idea of surrendering to an animal, but that's what will doubtlessly be said at your hearing in court when the prosecutor , backed by the Bambi tree huggers in his district, charges you with a crime.

otteray
07-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Don't they have a wildlife service where you live? Why do you need to LOC on your balcony?

Sheriff's Office said they'd be there in 45 minutes when a bear was totaling my son's car parked in our driveway in Tahoma.
We called Ms Bryant, from the bear league, since she is is the neighborhood.
That wacky, diminutive lady is going to get killed someday, chasing bears from cars, homes, etc.
(She even crawled under my house with firecrackers once...!)
The brochure from her program says to use a paintball gun for bears.
So, maybe just keep a paintball gun handy on your balcony!

ghettojet
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
play stupid games win stupid prizes. That's what comes to mind here.

gunsmith
07-13-2012, 11:27 AM
If God didn't want us to have rifles then why did he give us balconies?

Dragunov
07-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Eh I've given up on this thread. If this was posted in a forum for any other state there wouldn't be an issue. I don't know if it's California or just because we're on the Internet that people feel compelled to act like dicks.It's Kalifornia and most, not all..... are dicks.

OlderThanDirt
07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Eh I've given up on this thread. If this was posted in a forum for any other state there wouldn't be an issue. I don't know if it's California or just because we're on the Internet that people feel compelled to act like dicks.

I'm not just a dick, I'm a big swinging dick.

I think your approach to bear safety may very well quality you for a Darwin Award for ingenuity. Let me know if you ever bag a bear, I'll help you field dress it. Bear is actually pretty good to eat if cooked correctly. For a side dish, maybe you could shoot down a couple of crows.

Wiz-of-Awd
07-13-2012, 12:55 PM
...Bear is actually pretty good to eat if cooked correctly...

I would think a ride in my smoker should do the trick :)

A.W.D.