PDA

View Full Version : Do i HAVE to have proof of prior license?

Falstaff
07-10-2012, 4:46 PM
I cant find my last hunting license, it's been a couple years, DFG's website says you have to provide proof when getting new one. Used to be the sporting goods store just accepted your word that you previously had a license...Still the case? I really dont feel like taking hunter safety again...

taperxz
07-10-2012, 4:47 PM
Old license or your hunters safety cert. I think i have kept every license and tag i have ever gotten in my life.

jmonte35
07-10-2012, 4:50 PM
I believe it still says in the regs that you can sign a memorandum stating that you have taken Hunter ed.....but it can be tough to find a place that will accept it......talk to a few stores and see what you can do.

I've had military friends of mine that couldn't find their old out of state licenses and have had good luck at stores just being honest and nice to the attendent....I'd say with about a 90% success. If one store won't allow it move to the next.

Edit....I just looked it up and that part has been removed.....however, you still may be able to have someone still issue you a license....being kind goes a long ways. With the new system once you're in you're in....which is nice.

DirtyDave
07-10-2012, 4:51 PM
With the new system, they dont let you slide anymore. Either HS cert or previous Lic.
If you took your hunters safety shouldnt you still have the cert? They tell you not to lose it cuz you might need it someday.
You can try calling the place you took your HS class and see if they have you on file?

taperxz
07-10-2012, 4:53 PM
With the new system, they dont let you slide anymore. Either HS cert or previous Lic.
If you took your hunters safety shouldnt you still have the cert? They tell you not to lose it cuz you might need it someday.
You can try calling the place you took your HS class and see if they have you on file?

This and i think your "go number" is yours, correct me if im wrong. The go number is how they look you up now.

toby
07-10-2012, 4:54 PM
Somehow you can get record from the DFG. The memorandum thing is of the past I'm pretty sure, they finally realized that 80% of the people lied! and went this route...lol but thats how Cali rolls.

jmonte35
07-10-2012, 4:55 PM
This and i think your "go number" is yours, correct me if im wrong. The go number is how they look you up now.

Yeah my number was same as last years....I think it's a lifetime number now....which is nice.

Still have to keep you HS card though....pretty sure some states require you to carry that along with your license....

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2012, 4:55 PM
I've still got my Hunter's safty card from 1978. Why would anyone ever loose something that important? I think tht you can still fill out an afidavit at a DFG office but, you should call them to confirm that.

taperxz
07-10-2012, 4:56 PM
Somehow you can get record from the DFG. The memorandum thing is of the past I'm pretty sure, they finally realized that 80% of the people lied! and went this route...lol but thats how Cali rolls.

You know someone didn't lie when they hunt out of state. They ONLY take your hunters safety cert. They are not interested in your CA hunting license.

OH and ^^^^^^ your right about that!

taperxz
07-10-2012, 4:57 PM
I've still got my Hunter's safty card from 1978. Why would anyone ever loose something that important? I think tht you can still fill out an afidavit at a DFG office but, you should call them to confirm that.

Unless i go out of state that Cert never leaves my safe:D

jmonte35
07-10-2012, 5:00 PM

I just looked it up and you can't do it anymore...it's a bummer.

I too still have mine in a safe...I hope I never lose that thing.

Falstaff
07-10-2012, 5:05 PM

It was only "that important" to you, as noted above, until this year, all you had to do was state you had taken the class...
Besides cantankerous old farts like CSA, who saves 50 year old paperwork? I afraid I'm just not that organized.... oh well back to class it is!

taperxz
07-10-2012, 5:09 PM
It was only "that important" to you, as noted above, until this year, all you had to do was state you had taken the class...
Besides cantankerous old farts like CSA, who saves 50 year old paperwork? I afraid I'm just not that organized.... oh well back to class it is!

I don't "save" it i just put it in a cigar box in my safe for the very reason that you are posting. Just sayin..

Back to class? Or will your next thread be asking questions on how to take the class and is there one in your area? lol

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2012, 5:36 PM

It's not that bad. I ended up having to sit in on a class when my stepson took it at the age of 12. So, I ended up helping teach the class then taking the test and getting another card and a first time hunters stamp to get in on some special first time bird hunts. So, I have my card from 1978 and my card from 2006 too.

Fireguy
07-10-2012, 7:11 PM
For me 52 years is a long time to hang on to a paper that was really important after I turned 16. Time flies and rules change here and out of state. I'll have to take the class again so I can hunt i Uath next year.

Bowhunter_619
07-10-2012, 8:51 PM
I lost mine, but good Ole Alabama lets you print it out online with Name, DOB and Social. I laminated and now keep a copy in my wallet and the safe.

DirtyDave
07-10-2012, 11:38 PM
oh well back to class it is!

Like I said before, Depending how long ago you took the class, the school may still have you on file. If so, they can give you a new cert. Unless you just want to take the class again.

spectr17
07-11-2012, 12:45 AM
It wasn't a memorandum you signed, it was an affidavit stating under penalty of perjury you had a HL before and you were unable to find it or it was destroyed somehow. I've never seen the data on how many of those affidavits were falsified but I hear many people say they know someone who did it. DFG tells me it was a drop in the bucket and they didn't pursue the issue very hard back then. I bet it was more than they admit too.

edgerly779
07-11-2012, 1:11 PM
Most western states accept a license from another state in lieu of hunter safety. I know
Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Nevada does. Check before you take the course over again unless you are under 31. Utah I don't know about. I am 61 and haven't been asked for 30 years for hunter safety.