PDA

View Full Version : South lake tahoe crayfishing spot ?

jojo8080
07-10-2012, 3:31 PM
I jave not been to lake tahoe in years. I am going up with my daughters swim team this weekend to camp Richardson and pope beach

I remember years ago as a kid catching crayfish. Don't remember or know where we were on the lake

Anyone know if there are crayfishing spits around where we will be
Also any good fishing

Mike

jmonte35
07-10-2012, 3:36 PM
I don't think it's technically south lake but it's close....we had amazing luck with crawdads at Icehouse Reservoir.....we used the guts from the trout we cleaned in the traps.....filled two five gallon buckets in one night.....big meaty bastards too..phenomenal eating especially in that cold clean water...

If you're talking the actual lake....try a tributary with a lot of rocks and shallow....that seems to be the best areas. Hot dogs have worked well for me for bait but I really like any thing fishy to put in the traps if you can get it.

Intimid8tor
07-10-2012, 3:44 PM
We used to catch them at the dock at cave rock.

Falstaff
07-10-2012, 4:40 PM
caught a few in our minnow traps in fallen leaf last month, didja see tha NV has just ok'd COMMERCIAL crayfish harvests to commence? I found that interesting, i wonder if they're becoming a problem?

mcmikeblues7
07-10-2012, 6:48 PM
I don't think it's technically south lake but it's close....we had amazing luck with crawdads at Icehouse Reservoir.....we used the guts from the trout we cleaned in the traps.....filled two five gallon buckets in one night.....big meaty bastards too..phenomenal eating especially in that cold clean water...

If you're talking the actual lake....try a tributary with a lot of rocks and shallow....that seems to be the best areas. Hot dogs have worked well for me for bait but I really like any thing fishy to put in the traps if you can get it.

+1 I go there every summer and can get over a dozen a night in my small cage.

lewdogg21
07-10-2012, 6:56 PM
hmmmm. I might have to try that at ice house. Any particular spot? Ok to pm if you don't want to advertise.

bob7122
07-10-2012, 7:03 PM
hmmmm. I might have to try that at ice house. Any particular spot? Ok to pm if you don't want to advertise.

lol he will get 1000 PMs. :rofl:

VFX_man
07-10-2012, 9:39 PM
Just past Camp Richardson - maybe 1/2 mile or so (heading west). Take a left and head to Fallen Leaf Lake Campground. There is access to a gravel beach by camp sight 85. My minnow trap was catching them a few weeks ago. Note: This is actually Fallen leaf Lake - a lake that feeds into Lake Tahoe! A thing a beauty!!! Also take a right instead of the left to the campground and take the nature walk - make sure to check out the stream bed exhibition.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Fallen_Leaf_Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=71531&topTabIndex=Search

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2837407-stream_profile_chamber_south_lake_tahoe-i

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/VFX_man/Snapbucket/5965E5DD.jpg

jmonte35
07-10-2012, 9:47 PM

P.M. me Lewdogg21 it's no big secret but I'll let ya know what worked....I'm not real picky about crawdad fishing......it's only a couple times a year that I do it. Not a lot of people crawdad fish out here from what I can see..... I wish I lived a little closer because there are some really nice crawdad lakes up there. My mouth is watering just thinking about it...

skifreshpow
07-11-2012, 6:42 AM
I grew up in South Lake and keep in mind, I had access to a small boat and would campout with my buddies. There is a cool boat camp in emerald bay. Basically, once the lake gets choppy because of wind or boats during the day, conditions sucked. The best time was always early AM or dusk when the lake was calm. Setting and retrieving the traps from shore was near impossible unless you are a good swimmer.

Put a trap near Taylor Creek outlet of Fallen leaf lake. Taylor crk is stream b/w fallen leaf and tahoe (Peety much that photo shown in previous post). Also, the rocks along the outlet of Emerald Bay (along the north side & inside the bay) I've had great success. Another great spot is near the creek that empties into Emerald Bay south of the vikingsholm in Emerald Bay.

I've put the following in my trap with good success:
hole pieces of cooked bacon, a can of tuna with a four or five slits along the edge with a can opener, dry dog food, fish guts or chicken bones.

HokeySon
07-11-2012, 8:02 AM
How do you cook these things up? Cajun style? Never did this before and seems like it would be fun.

jmonte35
07-11-2012, 1:07 PM
very easy just boil them with some seasonings.....I use a cajun seasoning a friend sends from Lousiana....I'll look at the package at some point and post exactly what it is. I'm sure you can get it online.....you can also do vegetables with it....I really like boiling corn in with them...the corn is amazing in the cajun boil...

Scottie15
07-12-2012, 11:58 AM
My favorite way to boil crayfish is with some halved lemons and Zatarain's seasoning bag. MMmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

tony270
07-12-2012, 1:07 PM
I'm Creole and the first thing you need to do is wash them, and then they need to be purged, conduct a youtube search to get an idea of how this necessary step in preparing crawfish/crawdads for the pot is done. Antoher thing is most people at our feast don't eat from a plate, they ues a cardbord beer can case.

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=158868&stc=1&d=1342124617

jmonte35
07-12-2012, 1:50 PM
I'm Creole and the first thing you need to do is wash them, and then they need to be purged, conduct a youtube search to get an idea of how this necessary step in preparing crawfish/crawdads for the pot is done. Antoher thing is most people at our feast don't eat from a plate, they ues a cardbord beer can case.

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=158868&stc=1&d=1342124617

I've never taken the time to do any of that.....Usually I'm camping...I rinse em with lake water then straight into the boil......but they will probably be better if you do the above.

The only thing I don't do is cook already dead ones....only live ones go into the boil..

Shoot-it
07-12-2012, 4:08 PM
In my area they are all over the place in arrogation canals like the plague.

daNkiest
07-12-2012, 4:10 PM
Can anyone pm me with the coordinates near sac area. I would like to try to catch them. Thanks

KWalkerM
07-12-2012, 5:13 PM
Meeks Bay anywhere on the drop off. I have been SCUBA diving there and their are TONS of huge crawfish on the sunken logs. caught one that must have been 3 plus lbs