PDA

View Full Version : Pot growing seasons in Sierra Nevada

lewdogg21
07-10-2012, 2:24 PM
Anybody know with certainty when the growers will start putting plants in the ground in the Sierra Nevada's? Specifically at 4500' in D5.

jmonte35
07-10-2012, 2:31 PM
We caught a group of armed "spanish speaking individuals" (to be politically correct) putting netting around their plants about a month ago. Pretty scary situation....this was in the valley though. It was a long day dealing with the sheriffs and wardens....hopefully this isn't a continuing problem..........

Anyways a long long long long time ago when I used to have a "green thumb" I would say the ideal time would be mid to late spring and near water. My guess is if they are wanting to plant they most certainly have done it already.....

Curley Red
07-10-2012, 2:45 PM
It is harvest season from now til the end of fall usually. They plant all year round from what I have heard.

jmonte35
07-10-2012, 2:59 PM
It is harvest season from now til the end of fall usually. They plant all year round from what I have heard.

They wouldn't plant year round at that elevation too cold for pot in the winter.....in the valley...maybe but its still too cold at times....

you always start your plants inside in the winter and then plant in the spring early summer......

I went to drug school at one point in my life and I'm glad I dropped out....

pieeater
07-10-2012, 3:32 PM
They are already in the ground, they plant late April thru May and harvest is late Sept thru Oct.

taperxz
07-10-2012, 3:35 PM
Anybody know with certainty when the growers will start putting plants in the ground in the Sierra Nevada's? Specifically at 4500' in D5.

why? are you running low?

lewdogg21
07-10-2012, 3:38 PM
Nope taperzx but I have a video of a certain ethnicity random man on my trail can that I'm worried about.

taperxz
07-10-2012, 3:41 PM
Nope taperzx but I have a video of a certain ethnicity random man on my trail can that I'm worried about.

I wanna see.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-10-2012, 3:58 PM
They are already in the ground, they plant late April thru May and harvest is late Sept thru Oct.

:yes:

glockman19
07-10-2012, 4:17 PM

...:iagree:

Rhythm of Life
07-10-2012, 4:27 PM

:cool2:

chris
07-10-2012, 4:33 PM

yeah i would like to see the pic.

paul0660
07-10-2012, 4:36 PM
There is actually a website that has that stuff, with PDF's for various climate zones. I think Sunset does it. Can't find it right now.

pieeater
07-10-2012, 5:19 PM
Did he have to jump a fence to get on the property?

bellts
07-10-2012, 5:30 PM
I would say he would have had to jump over a rather TALL FENCE indeed.

lewdogg21
07-10-2012, 5:54 PM
Did he have to jump a fence to get on the property?

No fence. Just hella random.

He would have had to walk about 1.2 miles in from a locked gate or come down a steep hillside choked full of manzanita to get there.

dirtydrew
07-10-2012, 5:55 PM
That dude is ALL up in your camera! I feel weird for some reason when I get random people on my game cam...

ponderosa
07-10-2012, 6:10 PM
That is pretty creepy. Lucky he didn't smash up the cam?

pieeater
07-10-2012, 8:48 PM
No fence. Just hella random.

He would have had to walk about 1.2 miles in from a locked gate or come down a steep hillside choked full of manzanita to get there.

Is there a water source above the manzanita? Maybe thats where the plants are, these guys will bury a mile of poly if they have to. They have spare time.

Rattlesnake6.8
07-10-2012, 9:06 PM
From my experience, I have never encounter a guard watching out their farm in the Sierra, but have come across plenty of pot farms that had already been harvested in the elevation of 6-7k feet during hunting season. You would be surprise that this guys would run pcv pipes at that elevation all the way down to a running water source. Best advice, if you come across one, back out and walk out fast.
I have a buddy that works for BNE and one season him and his unit had a shoot out with 2 guards, and of course the guards lost. IMHO, never to heavy for me to carry plenty of ammos when Im deer hunting. Who knows, maybe there is a reason why AR platform is gaining popularity for hunters in my hunting district, just in case SHTF.

dirtracer24
07-10-2012, 9:10 PM
Back on opening day of turkey season stumbled upon a grow site that had plants in the ground. That was at an elevation of 3500ft so most definitely plants are growing good by now. I am also surprised that he didnt break your cam or at least open it up and take the sd card. I would call the sheriff and give them this picture. You might not want to mention that you posted the picture on a public forum, I dont know if its illegal but its probably frowned upon.

Side note: Have you gotten any pics of nice deer this year.

Wideflange
07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
If he didn't take the cam or card its prob CAMP cops scouting

njineermike
07-11-2012, 10:15 AM

For sure the bad guys would have made sure that cameras was gone and all evidence missing.

gatesbox
07-11-2012, 10:35 AM
granted I have only seen the one still but I couldn't tell if it was a person of a "certain ethnicity". Looks like some dude with a fairly new sun hat.

Kali-Jax
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Late spring plant
Early fall pick

Like most plants.

September and October are harvest months. This when the hills are most active.

dust feeder
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I fully agree that if it was a bad guy your camera would be gone and you'd never have seen that pic

lewdogg21
07-11-2012, 3:36 PM
Is there a water source above the manzanita? Maybe thats where the plants are, these guys will bury a mile of poly if they have to. They have spare time.

Without giving up my MMMMMMMEGA honey hole (yeah right) 400 yards above is a paved and well traveled road.

What's CAMP Cops? Anti marijuana eradication? lol I'd be really HAPPY if it was. May even hug that sweaty guy who's on my camera.

taperxz
07-11-2012, 3:48 PM
I was thinking that guy was LE. Honestly. OR he could be someone stalking you and waiting for you to show up cause he LIKES you.

Rattlesnake6.8
07-11-2012, 4:45 PM
LoL. Talking about wanting to get up close and personal.

DeanW66
07-11-2012, 10:57 PM
granted I have only seen the one still but I couldn't tell if it was a person of a "certain ethnicity". Looks like some dude with a fairly new sun hat.

Yeah, I have a hat just like that, goatee that color. Just not those glasses. Of course, he also mentioned this was a single still out of an 11mb vid.

daNkiest
07-12-2012, 3:23 PM
Post the video on youtubr

spectr17
07-12-2012, 5:46 PM
The ones with bears peering in creep me out more. It's like they know you're in there hiding.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/image.php?u=30229&dateline=1320945207

CasperSYTFU
07-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Agreed that if it was a BG you probably would be out a camera or SD card.
Unsettling none-the-less.

Sheepdog1968
07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
I hunt in D5 around this elevation.

fivefeezy
07-13-2012, 3:19 AM

Its a damn shame that one can't be a latino in the woods without being acusesd of pot farming. I hope I don't get shot at this hunting season as I'll be a latino male deep in d3-5, carrying firearms. :shock: I'll probably be snooping and sneaking around, looking like I'm up to no good. :cool:

Fundamentals
07-13-2012, 4:58 AM
Its a damn shame that one can't be a latino in the woods without being acusesd of pot farming.

Sadly it is a strongly portrayed stereotype, just like blacks and grape drink + fried chicken. ;)

FatCity67
07-13-2012, 7:49 AM
Obvious question. Why is the game camera pointed up. Did the potential BG take the camera off the tree then leave it? Could it have been logging employee scouting out trees to cut? Or forestry employee evaluating an area?

chicoredneck
07-13-2012, 7:56 AM
Its a damn shame that one can't be a latino in the woods without being acusesd of pot farming. I hope I don't get shot at this hunting season as I'll be a latino male deep in d3-5, carrying firearms. :shock: I'll probably be snooping and sneaking around, looking like I'm up to no good. :cool:

Just don't carry around an ak47 and a pocket full of weed and you will be good.

lewdogg21
07-13-2012, 8:59 AM
Obvious question. Why is the game camera pointed up. Did the potential BG take the camera off the tree then leave it? Could it have been logging employee scouting out trees to cut? Or forestry employee evaluating an area?

Strap broke a few days before and it was laying on it's back. This is on the edge of a small clear cut which was cut 2-3 years ago.

spectr17
07-13-2012, 11:30 AM
27,000 Marijuana Plants in 2 pot grows taken out in D14. Bear Creek and Siberian Creek areas S/SW of Big Bear. Plenty of more grows out there so be careful.

http://redlands.patch.com/articles/more-than-27-000-plants-seized-in-two-mountain-marijuana-grows-near-big-bear

Fundamentals
07-13-2012, 12:24 PM
27,000 Marijuana Plants in 2 pot grows taken out in D14. Bear Creek and Siberian Creek areas S/SW of Big Bear. Plenty of more grows out there so be careful.

http://redlands.patch.com/articles/more-than-27-000-plants-seized-in-two-mountain-marijuana-grows-near-big-bear

Looks like just a guerrilla grow, where they only come back and check every few weeks to plant more, harvest, etc.

Still disgusts me. I am for medical marijuana, but these situations give it a very bad name.

gatesbox
07-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Still disgusts me. I am for medical marijuana, but these situations give it a very bad name.

Indeed it should disgust you, slight correction though. These grows are not where MMJ comes from. Cartel grown US street drugs. You can thank prohibition for this filth.

Fundamentals
07-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Indeed it should disgust you, slight correction though. These grows are not where MMJ comes from. Cartel grown US street drugs. You can thank prohibition for this filth.

Sadly, I have seen and known people who do guerrilla grows when having their req's, using that as an excuse. Not that this situation is the same, but a lot of that product that cartels do grow, end up in dispensaries.

It is very, very easy to sell weed to a dispensary. It just has to have no bugs, be flushed properly, no diseases (such as powdery mildew), and have a half-decent cure start.
In addition, a trend that started a while back, when the cartels started having a harder time selling the plant material, was turning it all into a concentrate such as bubble hash, wax, and worst of wall, BHO (Butane Hash Oil). When converted to that, you could never find the source, and many concentrate deals are under the table, due to local laws banning them. Why sell plant matter for $40 an 1/8 of an ounce when you can get $40-$50 for 1 gram of concentrate.

I am unsure if the end of marijuana prohibition would fix these issues by itself. California in particular NEEDS to change its program. The newer states, like Arizona, got it right, with exception to some of the crazy zoning laws.

FatCity67
07-13-2012, 4:36 PM
Strap broke a few days before and it was laying on it's back. This is on the edge of a small clear cut which was cut 2-3 years ago.

gotcha. That photo reminds me of "Kilroy was here" Latino style. LOL

m98
07-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Theres a good reason why the majority of the guys i hunt with uses AR's and semiauto handguns.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Theres a good reason why the majority of the guys i hunt with uses AR's and semiauto handguns.

because they can't hit their target with one shot and need 25 quick follow up shots? :shrug:

jk, sorry, couldn't help myself :rofl2:

nicki
07-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Planting occurs in spring, but you can figure that from say mid august through early Oct is when people will be harvesting their crops.

The cartels have shown they are sadistic sociopaths, they may run "green harvest", but they probably will take out hunters.

Expect things to get worse until we end the drug war.

Nicki

Ism415
07-15-2012, 10:21 AM
With the way it works these days they plant and grow all year long in the hills with all different types of ways of growing it, from just your simple out door operation to underground systems and huts set up out in the woods where they can rotate crops every 2-3 months. If you are seeing these people (most likely cartel) be careful get your cam and get out of the area. If you get to close to their crops or where they are growing they will kill you with out hesitation.

Primary grow season out doors will be from the beginning of april threw the end of october.

lewdogg21
08-05-2012, 5:46 AM
For those who posted and are curious he was not a pot farmer. It's been confirmed.

pieeater
08-05-2012, 7:31 AM
Serial killer burying bodys?