PDA

View Full Version : Deer tags and general questions

VFX_man
07-10-2012, 1:47 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam :beatdeadhorse5:
But a subject search of the forum is not returning what I need.

Maybe a permanent FAQ Deer posting would be helpful? Maybe it's here and I just missed it ;)

Anyway here are my questions.

1) Why is the California deer season so early in the year?
2) Why are the deer seasons so staggered [general season]?
3) Are the Bucks still in velvet during the early season?
4) I'm sure to have more :confused:

Growing-up, in my home state 30 years ago . . . it seemed much simpler. Archery season in October, then gun season for 10 days in November.

Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers!

bigboarstopper
07-10-2012, 2:06 PM
If it was simple and strait foreward then it wouldnt coenside with the rest of the California department of fish and games current policy of bureaucracy, nonsense and pointlessness. Welcome to California Dfg.

lewdogg21
07-10-2012, 2:22 PM
I will probably die of heatstroke this coming weekend for A zone archery as its my first A tag ever. I have no idea why the seasons are as such. Yes during A and D3-5 (my two tags) archery the bucks are in velvet.

jmonte35
07-10-2012, 2:25 PM
You've posed the same questions I always had since I moved from NY. However, I've come to appreciate the season.

First it gives me something to do in the summer.....also I can still be back home for prime time white tails and not miss out on the black tail season here. Not sure on the staggered seasons but I hope there is some reason???

You can definately shoot a velvet buck in the early season which is another added bonus. Something that could never be done on the east coast.

I have a question for you Where are the doe tags!!!!??? But I've already went there before and I'm not gonna go back...

taperxz
07-10-2012, 3:23 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam :beatdeadhorse5:
But a subject search of the forum is not returning what I need.

Maybe a permanent FAQ Deer posting would be helpful? Maybe it's here and I just missed it ;)

Anyway here are my questions.

1) Why is the California deer season so early in the year?
2) Why are the deer seasons so staggered [general season]?
3) Are the Bucks still in velvet during the early season?
4) I'm sure to have more :confused:

Growing-up, in my home state 30 years ago . . . it seemed much simpler. Archery season in October, then gun season for 10 days in November.

Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers!

Actually these are all great questions!

Deer Season in A zone is early because everything is based on the deers cycle of yearly life. Our A zone bucks will be hard horned and out of velvet by the the third week of august at the latest.

California is a large multi-climate state. The deer (several herds) simply don't have the same time table as others in different parts of the state.

F&G for the most part allows us to hunt deer (general season) shortly after the deer get hard horned and return to the thickest brush. Why? so we don't slaughter them them.

Like i said its a huge state with many different trends for different herds. Each herd needs to be managed differently. (not that i agree with the current game management)

Fireguy
07-10-2012, 6:23 PM
I always hunted in the C 4 zone area. I was told by a local that there a doe hunt in the 50's that turned into a blood bath. A guy would shoot the first doe he saw, if he saw a bigger doe he leave the smaller one to rot.
This may be FUD but that was the story I heard. I hope someone will correct if I'm wrong.

lewdogg21
07-10-2012, 6:40 PM
You've posed the same questions I always had since I moved from NY. However, I've come to appreciate the season.

First it gives me something to do in the summer.....

I used to have that problem and then I put in a pool. Now I float and drink cocktails instead. :p

Who knows, maybe Saturday night I'll have given up on Sunday with the 100+ forecast and come home to float on Sunday. :D

pieeater
07-10-2012, 8:15 PM
Actually these are all great questions!

Deer Season in A zone is early because everything is based on the deers cycle of yearly life. Our A zone bucks will be hard horned and out of velvet by the the third week of august at the latest.

California is a large multi-climate state. The deer (several herds) simply don't have the same time table as others in different parts of the state.

F&G for the most part allows us to hunt deer (general season) shortly after the deer get hard horned and return to the thickest brush. Why? so we don't slaughter them them.

Like i said its a huge state with many different trends for different herds. Each herd needs to be managed differently. (not that i agree with the current game management)

Yep.

And with over to 37 million people, of course the hunting is going to be "slow." The hunting might suck but played right you can hunt a long time unlike other states 5 or 10 day seasons. Surprisingly most hunters answer to the lack of deer is to kill more deer with doe and rut hunts.

pieeater
07-10-2012, 8:20 PM
I used to have that problem and then I put in a pool. Now I float and drink cocktails instead. :p

Who knows, maybe Saturday night I'll have given up on Sunday with the 100+ forecast and come home to float on Sunday. :D

lol I used to sit above a certain lake for A zone archery watchin people splash around while i sweated my *** of. Freakin tough man!