PDA

View Full Version : Yuba County Clarification on shooting rights

LRgirl
07-10-2012, 2:38 PM
We live in Yuba County, rural Loma Rica area on 5 acres. Behind our house is a creek (40 yards give or take), that is where our propery ends. Beyond that is a piece of property w/no sturcture on it for quite a while just a hill and trees. So here's the question. The guy who owns it lets people come on his property to go hunting. I Just want to know what is the legal distance is that they have to be from structures. I get nervous when I hear gun fire from there and not sure what direction they are shooting from. Recently they were out right along the creek at 10 pm at night shooting from a truck. Then when we yelled out to them, they turned off their lights and took off shooting a few more rounds, large caliber. Thanks.

meaty-btz
07-10-2012, 2:51 PM
county sets the distance. Look up the county code for Yuba. Additionally, hunting is regulated by the Department of Fish and Game, which also sets restrictions on shooting (which are followed pretty much as a base line everywhere).

Usually works out to "while hunting" not within 150-300 yards of an occupied structure
No shooting ACROSS a ROAD or WATERWAY. Your creek would be a waterway.

Still look up the local county ordinances to find the details. Mind you, shooting in a "negligent" manner is ever ok.

taperxz
07-10-2012, 2:58 PM
county sets the distance. Look up the county code for Yuba. Additionally, hunting is regulated by the Department of Fish and Game, which also sets restrictions on shooting (which are followed pretty much as a base line everywhere).

Usually works out to "while hunting" not within 150-300 yards of an occupied structure
No shooting ACROSS a ROAD or WATERWAY. Your creek would be a waterway.

Still look up the local county ordinances to find the details. Mind you, shooting in a "negligent" manner is ever ok.

150 yards. When hunting. (period). I know loma rica. You must be down near the end.

Spyder
07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Sounds like they're shooting something they shouldn't be. Call 1-888-dfg-caltip.

taperxz
07-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Sounds like they're shooting something they shouldn't be. Call 1-888-dfg-caltip.

Why do you say that?

wjc
07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
From California Fish & Game Code:

3004. (a) It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner,
person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express
permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to
hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly
weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or
other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection
therewith. The 150-yard area is a "safety zone."
(b) It is unlawful for any person to intentionally discharge any
firearm or release any arrow or crossbow bolt over or across any
public road or other established way open to the public in an unsafe
and reckless manner.

Dutch3
07-11-2012, 7:07 AM
Recently they were out right along the creek at 10 pm at night shooting from a truck.

I'm about 10 miles from Loma Rica on the Yuba/Butte county line.

I believe that discharging a firearm from a vehicle is illegal at any time, regardless of what county you are in.

crackerman
07-11-2012, 4:44 PM
I'm about 10 miles from Loma Rica on the Yuba/Butte county line.

I believe that discharging a firearm from a vehicle is illegal at any time, regardless of what county you are in.

99.99999999999999999999999999% time correct.

Can be done while hunting under very specific circumstances/permits if you are disabled.

wjc
07-11-2012, 9:01 PM
yup. dutch3 and crackerman are correct.

I sure hope they weren't shooting from the road as well...

emcon5
07-11-2012, 9:21 PM
Recently they were out right along the creek at 10 pm at night shooting from a truck. Then when we yelled out to them, they turned off their lights and took off shooting a few more rounds, large caliber. Thanks.

Been a few years since I hunted in CA, but everything I ever hunted, legal shooting hours were sunrise minus 30 min. to sunset plus 30 min.

Are there pigs in Yuba county? IIRC the earliest deer seasons for firearms started in August.

advocatusdiaboli
07-11-2012, 9:32 PM
We live in Yuba County, rural Loma Rica area on 5 acres. Behind our house is a creek (40 yards give or take), that is where our propery ends. Beyond that is a piece of property w/no sturcture on it for quite a while just a hill and trees. So here's the question. The guy who owns it lets people come on his property to go hunting. I Just want to know what is the legal distance is that they have to be from structures. I get nervous when I hear gun fire from there and not sure what direction they are shooting from. Recently they were out right along the creek at 10 pm at night shooting from a truck. Then when we yelled out to them, they turned off their lights and took off shooting a few more rounds, large caliber. Thanks.

Call CalTip. Film it if possible. Report the owner. Poaching (outside legal hours and from a vehicle probably spotlighting as well) and firearms violations are never okay.

taperxz
07-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Call CalTip. Film it if possible. Report the owner. Poaching (outside legal hours and from a vehicle probably spotlighting as well) and firearms violations are never okay.

Another mis quote! It IS legal to hunt coyotes at night on private land. With the aid of some light! Please get your facts straight.

advocatusdiaboli
07-12-2012, 7:26 AM
Another mis quote! It IS legal to hunt coyotes at night on private land. With the aid of some light! Please get your facts straight.

That's exception many of us wouldn't know—they didn't cover that in Hunter's Safety, but thanks for the heads up on an exception. I knew they could hunt them at night, a few farmers across the road from us have sheep and we hear gunfire at 2 AM a few times a month and I figure they are shooting coyotes. Didn't know you could spotlight but it makes sense there are exceptions for 'varminting' but not game on private land. Good to know.

If they fled on being contacted, not likely they were shooting varmints but it's a possibility.

Manolito
07-12-2012, 8:15 AM
I am confused are you upset they are shooting on their property that they paid for and support with tax dollars or are you worried about shooting in the direction of your house?

Contact the owner and explain your concern and the night this happened and ask him to inform his guests where your house is located and insure they don't shoot in that direction.

Do you shoot on your property?

Jack L
07-12-2012, 1:02 PM
Some counties have setbacks that are different for shotguns, usually closer than hunting rifles.. 150 yards is pretty close for a high powered rifle that misses it's intended target and travels onto your property!