PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which 9mm for range/home defense?

elberettas
07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm posting this for a friend. He's narrowed it down to these pistols as his first. He is set on 9mm. The pistol will be used for range and home defense only.

Capybara
07-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't think you will get a very good reading from this poll, the Glock fanboys will say the Glock, the SIG fanboys will say the SIG, etc. etc.

His best bet is to go to a range and shoot all of them (or all he can rent) and buy the one that fits his hand, eye and sensibility the best. They are all fine weapons, I don't think he would go wrong with any of them.

I will also do a write-in vote for the CZ75 SP-01, I think it fits the hand and feels better and shoots better than any of these guns, but it is all metal, larger than most and heavier than most, have him do the research and read the reviews, the CZs are getting raves and are truly classic guns. I can't see the point of a smaller gun like the Glock 19 unless you are carrying, bigger guns are easier to shoot well for the average shooter.

sffred
07-10-2012, 11:59 AM
No offense to s&w but I think cz and a 1911 in 9mm should be in this poll instead

DArBad
07-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I vote the Beretta92fs.

unusedusername
07-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Which ones on the list has your friend shot?

elberettas
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
All of them and a few others, but these were the ones he liked most.

Jimmy310
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I think the sig would be the best choice, out of the 4 i think the sig and beretta are most accurate for the range. The beretta loses because it has a safety which might accidentally not be disengaged when you need to pull the trigger.

Hallucinosis
07-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Why a 9mm 1911 when there is the Browning Hi-power?

Anyway, I have a Glock 17 and a Sig Sauer P220 and I love them both. I don't think you culd go wrong with a 19 or P226. I have heard great things about the M&P and the Beretta is much loved by many. It should come down to what feels best in hand.

ClarenceBoddicker
07-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Glock G-19 or G-26. No PC BS like safeties, mag disconnects, decockers or crap DA triggers. Everything you need & nothing you don't. Easy to interchange magazines. An original un-copied design, not a blatant knockoff like the XD.

desertjosh
07-10-2012, 12:16 PM
I vote m&p just because you didnt have XD on the list.

SJgunguy24
07-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I'll second the CZ SP01, but I'll vote for the tactical model.

paul0660
07-10-2012, 12:26 PM
All of them and a few others,

Reallllllly. So he does not have a preference for function. That's odd.

BlackDrop50
07-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Glock or Sig

Euphoria526
07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
I'll vote MY cz75b. Way better in my hands then any of those.

InGrAM
07-10-2012, 1:01 PM
I get so tired of these fanboy polls.

But I still voted for my choice ;)

unusedusername
07-10-2012, 1:01 PM
Reallllllly. So he does not have a preference for function. That's odd.

I agree.

Most folks find they prefer one manual of arms much greater then others.

Here are some thoughts on all of them then:

Beretta 92FS - The military uses them so they are well respected. Available in 9mm. The 92FS does not have a rail for a light, if you use it for HD that might be a concern. The 92-A1 does have a light rail but isn't on the roster so it would need to be single-shotted. The 92FS has a "good but not great" DA/SA trigger. I personally dislike the ergonomics of the safety on this one, it is hard to hit it with your thumb, at least with my hands.
GLOCK 19 (3rd Gen) - Used by police everywhere. Also in 9mm. Has a light rail. Polymer frame is good for carrying around, but a heavier frame can absorb more recoil. Glocks are known for having mushy triggers, but that may or may not be important here.
SIG Sauer P226 - Used by police in Europe and US Special Forces. Available in 9mm, .40 and .357Sig. Can come with or without a rail depending on the age of the firearm. This has one of the nicest SA/DA triggers out of the box of any gun of this type. Some people have trouble with their thumb hitting the controls (decocker, slide stop) so make sure your hand fits the gun.
Smith & Wesson M&P - A few police departments use them, but not anywhere near the adaption of the Glock. Basically it is a Glock clone. Some parts are done better then the Glock, like chamber support in the .40 cartridge, and some things are not done quite as well (extractor and trigger reset issues). S&W tried really hard on this one to make it have a nicer trigger then the Glock, with debatable results. The grip is a different shape then the Glock grip, so it is a good idea to find out which one between this and Glock fits your hand better.

kbeez21
07-10-2012, 1:18 PM
92FS because its beautiful. 2nd choice would be the Glock 17/19 because of the simplicity, but its fugly IMO.

Fadedline
07-10-2012, 1:37 PM
Glock 19 PERFECTION. :slap::D

Evo
07-10-2012, 1:39 PM
Some additional options...

Springfield XD/XDM... Better trigger than Glock or M&P comparable durability, accuracy etc.
HK P2000/USP/P30... Best battle handguns available IMO especially with LEM trigger, expensive though
Walther PPQ...also amazing trigger and striker fired (like Glock, M&P XD)
CZ75B more traditional DA/SA but solid all metal gun with great trigger

scglock
07-10-2012, 1:39 PM
They're all good choices. See which one fits his hand the best and which he likes most/shoots best

Atekhed
07-10-2012, 1:44 PM
For your friend's uses any of the ones listed will be fine but if I had to narrow it down to one I voted for the Glock 19.

Once he makes his pick he should look at getting into a basics/fundamentals course and practice.

Sam
07-10-2012, 1:45 PM
What kind of action does your friend want?

CSACANNONEER
07-10-2012, 1:48 PM
I use my MAC clone for range defense. I don't bother with 9mm for home defense though.

Milsurps
07-10-2012, 1:53 PM
I have both an M&P9 and the G19.
I like them both. If I had to let one go, the M&P9 would be it because of the trigger. Yes it's fixable. ;)
The G19 is a tad smaller and I tend to shoot it a little better.

YMMV

air0n'03
07-10-2012, 2:00 PM
Try em before you buy em!

offdutyalot
07-10-2012, 2:36 PM
Glock 19......:D

Paperchasin
07-10-2012, 2:41 PM
Is money a factor??

unusedusername
07-10-2012, 3:13 PM
I use my MAC clone for range defense.

Range defense? I've never thought of having to defend myself from a rogue shooting range... :D

dc2integra
07-10-2012, 3:16 PM
My vote is for the beretta it's a sweet shooter.

Sneaky
07-10-2012, 3:17 PM
The FNP9 is missing from this poll :D

tbc
07-10-2012, 3:27 PM
HK USP.
It's accurate like a 1911 (OK I am stretching it :D ) and reliable like a block, I meant Glock. :D

Sent from my iPhone

fullrearview
07-10-2012, 3:45 PM
All of those choices will be fine. If he has no preference in how they feel, I would go with the price and the price of magazines/accessories.

I voted for Sig, but that's because I shoot them really well.

A g19/23 or g26/27 will be in my future. I don't really care for the feel of them, but I may be lateraling to a department that only carries Glock.

chrisf
07-10-2012, 3:56 PM
Why even bother putting up a poll? Glock will win everytime. Get what YOU feel is the better fit for YOU. Dont go based on the amount of fanboys in the forum.

Legasat
07-10-2012, 4:04 PM
You need to them and decide which one fits YOU the best, and YOU shoot the best.

For me, it was the M&P's.

TripleThreat
07-10-2012, 4:05 PM
I will also do a write-in vote for the CZ75 SP-01.

^^^^^^
This is coming from someone that owns a Glock, Sig, 1911, Browning HP. I put guns into two class normal and fine.
My fine guns list looks something like this (not in any particular order): Sig, CZ, Kimber, Python. All of my other guns are in the normal gun category including the High Power.

paul0660
07-10-2012, 4:09 PM
What kind of action does your friend want?

He does not know, and likely does not know the difference.

POINTLESS thread, again.

DrewTheBrave
07-10-2012, 4:15 PM
As others have stated, there are many other options out there, and many variations of the guns you listed. Have your friend rent or try as many different styles as possible so that he figures out what works best for him. Any of the firearms listed in this thread would be excellent choices, but each person will have their individual preference so take advice with a grain of salt.

With that said, I'm quite partial to my Beretta 92G Vertec and the CZ 75 series and Sig P series.

SIGSHOOTR
07-10-2012, 4:15 PM
My primary handgun is the SIG P226-- it's the one I run in courses and HD tool; but I would have to say Glock 19 if I could only choose one. Don't need to master the DA/SA; dead accurate; fun to shoot; fits my hands like gloves and it's about half the price of the SIG. Having said that, my Gen 3 needed the new ejector installed to stop getting brass to the forehead-- now, it's "Perfection". My SIG --on the the other hand-- was perfection out of the box and it's never let me down after 6K plus rounds and it's the one I keep in the nightstand drawer.

Poohgyrr
07-10-2012, 5:08 PM
::: His best bet is to go to a range and shoot all of them (or all he can rent) and buy the one that fits his hand, eye and sensibility the best. They are all fine weapons, I don't think he would go wrong with any of them. :::

Which pistol does best in his hands??

And if anyone else may have to use it, I'd have them join in for some range time.

forgiven
07-10-2012, 5:15 PM
Went glock even though I have a mdl 17. My sigs and berettas are worth more money and have nicer finishes, besides the glock will do the job just as well.

den888
07-10-2012, 5:19 PM
92FS

ljgrasso
07-10-2012, 6:05 PM
Gotta go with a Sig, XD would be second.

Whatisthis?
07-10-2012, 6:53 PM
Personally, if he will only buy one, then I would go SIG or GLOCK. The best two possible 9mms IMO. However, out of the choices listed, there is no way to go wrong unless he gets one he doesn't like/shoot well. If he will eventually buy another, he should pick the one he shoots best because he will probably end up with all the choices plus an CZ, XD, etc.

sig808
07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
I have owned and carried sigs, glocks, and xds. I have shot an owned 1911s berettas rugers and cz. I would trust my life with (if we are excluding revolvers) sig/glock first then xds, czs berettas and 1911s then rugers. Just based on reliability issues I encountered over time. As for range stuff all will be fine. More importantly train and practice with your selected pistol.

m98
07-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Gonna be a VEry inaccurate bias poll. Better for him to go fondle and shoot the guns to see which he likes best. I would kinda toss the beretta on the side due to its nature of jams and issues. It makes a better range gun than sd gun imo.

JoeP
07-11-2012, 9:25 AM
I love my Glock 19. Reliable, accurate, great trigger, lots of aftermarket accessories, and great mags.

ChaneRZ
07-11-2012, 9:26 AM
HK USP! Glock 19 will do.

timmyb21
07-11-2012, 9:39 AM
All great choices, I just voted for the one I have...the m&p.

07-11-2012, 10:01 AM
It appears to me that a person cannot go wrong with any of the listed guns. All are first rate, so it would boil down to personal preference. The one observation I will make is that three of the guns are full size duty pistols, and one is an intermediate size pistol best used for concealed carry. For an accurate comparison, the Glock 19 needs to be replaced with a Glock 17, which is a full size pistol. For range and home defense, I would much prefer a full size gun.

Capybara
07-11-2012, 10:16 AM
I just shot my first Glocks last week. I liked the Glocks better than I thought I would. I may be buying a 17 or a 34 for myself. But why are Glocks sooooo popular and have so many rabid fanboys in comparison to every other gun on the market? Is it because they are cheap and tough? Don't require much in the way of cleaning? I get the mystique around 1911s, I bought one because of it. But Glocks? Cheap, plastic, reliable gun, is that it? Especially when there are Glock clones. Just curious.

paul0660
07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
I just shot my first Glocks last week. I liked the Glocks better than I thought I would. I may be buying a 17 or a 34 for myself. But why are Glocks sooooo popular and have so many rabid fanboys in comparison to every other gun on the market? Is it because they are cheap and tough? Don't require much in the way of cleaning? I get the mystique around 1911s, I bought one because of it. But Glocks? Cheap, plastic, reliable gun, is that it? Especially when there are Glock clones. Just curious.

Glock
Kleenex
Pampers

Nothing wrong with successful marketing. Just don't forget that Glocks were designed to be carried by civilians with the chamber empty.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/paul0660/glockwarning-2.jpg

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/manual1988.html

1911Operator
07-11-2012, 10:24 AM
cz???

ap3572001
07-11-2012, 10:33 AM
If I had to make a choice of a full size 9mm for HD and range ONLY I would pick a 92FS.

paul0660
07-11-2012, 10:35 AM
And, at some point we will talk about how John Moses Browning never imagined civilians would be walking around cocked and locked.
In his world, the chamber was empty until the battle was started, and the safety used between shooting bad guys. I have never heard otherwise from a Marine or soldier issued a 1911.

So, Glocks, the rest of that ilk (M&P and XD, at least) and 1911 types are unsuitable for personal defense............I always thought so. DA/SA exists for a reason.

Lead Waster
07-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Range defense? I've never thought of having to defend myself from a rogue shooting range... :D

I have a friend who, when he goes to the range, always keeps a gun always loaded on the table when he shoots his other range guns...just in case.

He says he was at a range once when two guys in adjacent lanes started loudly arguing with each other...he just quickly gathered up his guns and went to tell the employees (indoor range) who went into the range holding shotguns and told the arguers to pack up and leave.

At some unsupervised shooting places, having a "range defense" gun on the side might be a good idea too. You never know who's there waiting for you to empty your shiny range toy or run out of ammo.

For me, since .40 is less fun to shoot than the other guns, the G23 tends to get range defense duty while the other guns play!

PhoPoweR
07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Can't go wrong with a Glock 19 :)

Lead Waster
07-11-2012, 12:21 PM
And, at some point we will talk about how John Moses Browning never imagined civilians would be walking around cocked and locked.
In his world, the chamber was empty until the battle was started, and the safety used between shooting bad guys. I have never heard otherwise from a Marine or soldier issued a 1911.

So, Glocks, the rest of that ilk (M&P and XD, at least) and 1911 types are unsuitable for personal defense............I always thought so. DA/SA exists for a reason.

I think in JMB's day, everyone had a gun sitting around or in his pocket, in the drawer next to the good silver, in their briefcase, etc.

Also, he designed the 1911 (or whatever it was called before the Army bought it) to sell to the military, to their specs. I'm pretty sure he didn't care if civilians bought them or whatever. He was in the business of designing guns so he could sell them.

paul0660
07-11-2012, 12:38 PM
I think in JMB's day, everyone had a gun sitting around or in his pocket, in the drawer next to the good silver, in their briefcase, etc.

Also, he designed the 1911 (or whatever it was called before the Army bought it) to sell to the military, to their specs. I'm pretty sure he didn't care if civilians bought them or whatever. He was in the business of designing guns so he could sell them.

You could have just agreed with me.

In the good old days the gun lying around was a revolver, a very safe gun that does not have a safety.

JMB designed the 1911 platform as I noted above. If he were aware of lawsuits then , as Gaston EVIDENTLY was in 1988, he would have included a warning in the owner's manual, if they had them.

Neither the 1911 or the Glock were designed to be carried by NON LEO or MILITARY with a round chambered. They are not necessarily poor designs, but they are, practically speaking, for people who would like to carry them for self defense. SA/DA pistols replicate the action of a revolver..........a gun you would leave in " the drawer next to the good silver, in their briefcase, etc."

pdq_wizzard
07-11-2012, 1:09 PM
I said Sig, but second would be the Glock. I have yet to shoot an M&P so ....

I would never own a 92FS (I shoot 1911 and can't stand where the safety is on the 92FS) but I do own a PT99 and the safety is in the same place and the 1911.

So to me if it has a safety it needs to be were it should be otherwise there should be no manual safety.

victorr
07-11-2012, 6:21 PM
Just came home from the range. Had the best time with my XD9 with TLR2. Perfect for CAR drills! This pistol should be in the poll.

glockwise2000
07-11-2012, 6:59 PM
I am going to guess. Glock will win the pollster. Woohoo..... I haven't seen a Glock thread for a while.

Of course I am bias. I voted Glock.

Paperchasin
07-11-2012, 7:22 PM
Surprise surprise, Glock is in the lead....by a whole lot!

$nake-Eye$
07-11-2012, 7:47 PM
Gonna agree with CSA on this one;

Voted Glock 19, but have an XDM45 next to my bed with TLR-1 tac-light for home defense.

Uninvited guests get a warm .45 reception in my home.

Push comes to shove, I have my new Walther PPQ 9mm (which retired my Glock 19) to greet uninvited guests with.

But will probably pick a Benelli M3 for my ultimate choice of HD weapon, having both the options of the speed of an autoloader and the awesome sound of a racking pump shotgun seems like a winner to me...

I use my MAC clone for range defense. I don't bother with 9mm for home defense though.

m98
07-11-2012, 8:44 PM
^^^^.....Same here, my xdm45 serves as my primary hd weapon. And my others gets to go on vacation.