PDA

View Full Version : 2 FORMS OF ID?

ZachT951
07-09-2012, 8:52 PM
Ive recently been into 3 different gun stores and they have all told me that now you need 2 forms of ID to buy a rifle or shotgun, when did this happen? I been buying guns for 4 years and just recently heard of this, Thankfully I have my CA DL and C&R license, Im living at home because i lost my job just recently so i dont have any type of bills other than school loan and cell phone, and my vehicle is registered to my father, so it kind of sucks that they started doing this, maybe im mistaken? i have been looking at a lot of pistols recently as well, but i could have sworn that they said 2 forms of ID for long guns, i know that i need 2 for a pistol because i have owned several and i know how the pistol purchasing procedure goes, someone chime in and tell me about this

Demonicspire
07-09-2012, 9:05 PM
I bought a gun last week, they only wanted one. Maybe its just the area you're in/personal policy if they've had trouble or been pressured about straw purchases lately.

ssaction
07-09-2012, 9:09 PM
I've encountered shops that require 2 types of ID. I give them my drivers license & auto registration. These are usually the shops that are the most cautious.

EBR Works
07-09-2012, 9:38 PM
If your permanent driver's license has your current home address printed on it, that is all that is legally required for a long gun purchase. If not, you will need proof of your current address by providing a Federal, State or local government document showing that address.

See here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=327217

Librarian
07-09-2012, 10:24 PM
DOJ has the answers in its FAQ for dealers (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs):What identification is required for a person to purchase a firearm?

Clear evidence of identity and age is defined as a valid California driver's license or a valid California Identification Card issued by the DMV. Military identification is also acceptable if accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California, but the dealer must retain copies of both documents.

Temporary driver licenses and temporary identification cards (issued without photo) are not accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

(PC section 12071(c)(1))
and for handguns it's 'proof of residency' What documentation is acceptable to demonstrate proof of residency for handgun purchasers?

Utility bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual's name and either of the following:
The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form

or
The individual's residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Utility bill" means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone connection or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection) or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.
Residential lease that bears the individual's name and either of the following:
The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form

or
The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Residential lease" means either of the following:
A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant)agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time

or
A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.
Property deed the bears the individual's name and either of the following:

or
The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Property deed" means either or the following:
A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust

or
A valid Certificate of title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.
Current, government-issued license, permit, or registration, other than a CA Driver License or CA Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:

or
The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

Examples of acceptable proof of residency:
Current DMV registrations.
Electricity, gas, cable bill with purchaser's name onit from within the last 3 months.
Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement/contract.

Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:
Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
Cellular phone bill.

Foresight88
07-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I just transferred a Mossberg and all I needed was my current CA DL.

lugee
07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I think it depends on the FFL. I have been to places that require two forms of ID for long guns for a number of reason, IE ATF audits etc.

adampolo13
07-10-2012, 2:36 PM
Bought an AR a month ago, asked for two ID's. Bought a Remi 700 on the 4th. Only asked for DL. Two different shops, two different counties. I think it just depends on where you go and what the store policy is.

PEBKAC
07-10-2012, 3:47 PM
I haven't encountered a situation like that before. They've always just wanted a state ID or D/L.

I do have both a D/L and state ID so I'd just put down both.

rd2play
07-13-2012, 9:40 AM
I used D/L and electricity bill, but in the last few months two places didn't like the electricity bill...?? I had to use the car registration, no big deal, but it's strange. I'm wondering if it was due to ignorance.