PDA

View Full Version : Gun noob here!

MikeFD3S
05-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Greetings Calguns

Pretty new to guns here-- always had an interest, but never explored it until now.

I had done some plinking with my father's .22 Model 60 (? was a pump action rifle) and shot some of my friends handguns (.38 and 9mm varieties) but that was years and years ago.

I'm a gearhead and computer nerd, so I like to take a hands-on approach to understand how things work, and possibly make them better. Understanding that guns don't lend themselves to or are forgiving to user error as cars and computers may be, i'm hoping to get some useful information from this community so I can safely enjoy shooting and perhaps even get my father into it as well.

Ultimately, I'd like to build myself a nice, legal FAL and find a handgun that suits me.

Any decent ranges that let you test various guns in the Cerritos or Torrance areas? I'd also like to attend some prep/safety classes beforehand so I can get up to speed with safety, laws, mechanics, etc.

No stranger to forums, so i'll be giving Search a good workout in the next few months...but any help to get me started would be appreciated.

C.G.
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Welcome. :)
A FAL and a handgun is a good choice. You will then realize that that is not enough and the gun addiction will start. Maybe an OLL or two, some bolt guns and you can't have just one handgun.:D

Josh3239
05-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the forum! The search button is your friend and there are a lot of knowledgable people here who can hook you up with literally anything you need to know about guns.

MikeFD3S
05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
lol I have a feeling that will happen too :D; at the height of my car craze, I had about 5 or 6 cars in various states at the same time. Now I am down to three that are mostly in a state of completion. Management aka the girl won't let me have that many ever again, so it's time to try other things :)

GI_JOE
05-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Welcome!

69Mach1
05-29-2007, 1:08 PM
Welcome aboard.:cool2:

mur
05-29-2007, 4:14 PM
Management aka the girl won't let me have that many ever again, so it's time to try other things :)

Management YEP, We all have the same problem, but here at Calguns it's guns not cars.:36:

Sig357
05-29-2007, 4:23 PM
I plead the 5th Ammendment when it comes to purchasing new weapons. My wife does not need to know, I refuse to self incriminate.:D

She walked in on me as I was completing my AR build.

Wifey Questioning me:

1. Are you going to war or something?
2. I knew you were buying a gun.
3. How much did it cost?

LOL I still love her though.

Almost forgot Welcome MikeFD3S! I recommend you take a hunters safety class, lots of good tips. Will teach you the fundamentals, especially how to be safe with firearms.

1911whore
05-29-2007, 5:08 PM
welcome to the "herione" we call guns. feel free to ask all the questions you like

ibanezfoo
05-29-2007, 8:03 PM
Howdy! I am also a computer nerd, though by trade. :)

-Bryan

ghost
05-29-2007, 9:59 PM
the disease spreads quick mike:gunsmilie:

welcome to the forum!

freshmex28
05-30-2007, 7:18 AM
a FD3s eh? is that one of your completed rides?

MikeFD3S
06-03-2007, 12:52 AM
FD3S is one of them, other one is a 5sp SC300, last one is just a reliable A to B car, a Toyota Matrix :D

I think she'll be open minded to it...just not sure what her reaction will be when she finds my gun of choice to be a big ole battle rifle

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

freshmex28
06-03-2007, 10:03 AM
haha, sc300, i've been thinking about picking one of those up and turboing the hell out of the 2jz. fun choices in cars.

MikeFD3S
06-03-2007, 6:20 PM
Yeah they are...SC300's are like the FAL of cars. You gotta have patience to find a good 5 speed, but once you get it, it'll treat you right.