PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to conceal carry a knife in a library?

Skelaz
07-09-2012, 6:52 PM
I conceal carry a EDC pocket knife solely for self defense and I was wondering if it is legal to conceal carry one on the premises of a library.

I live in Sacramento, CA.

Librarian
07-09-2012, 6:59 PM
Presuming a folder ...

Public? yes.

Sac State? Probably.

UC Davis? Maybe not.

See the Knife Laws link, below.

Skelaz
07-09-2012, 7:54 PM
Presuming a folder ...

Public? yes.

Sac State? Probably.

UC Davis? Maybe not.

Public. Thanks for the info. That's all I need. :)

hoffmang
07-09-2012, 9:09 PM
Presuming a folder ...

Public? yes.

Sac State? Probably.

UC Davis? Maybe not.

I love that I can carry a firearm (LTC) into all of the above but may not be able to have my folder at the same time in some of these circumstances...

Amusing.

-Gene

Demonicspire
07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
If its a swissknife it tends to bypass a number of bans because it is short, folds, and is a tool besides. Knife is not high on my list of preferred defenses though, I'd even prefer pepper spray to it.

Sir Stunna Lot
07-09-2012, 11:59 PM
from what i remember from the knife and dangerous weapons laws:

if its a public library, a folder knife is ok, exposed fixed blade in sheath ok (u might be asked to leave though)

if its on the property of a k-12 campus, the folder has a max length limit, no fixed blade allowed

if its on a college/university campus, any folder knife ok, fixed blade has length limit

... if i remembered correctly...

most swiss knife are worry free because they fall short of any length requirements, unless "no knife" rule applies like airport sterile area.

ALSystems
07-10-2012, 3:02 AM
You might need a knife.

Those Librarians are almost as bad as crazed Postal workers. :D

POLICESTATE
07-10-2012, 10:12 AM
You might need a knife.

Those Librarians are almost as bad as crazed Postal workers. :D

Worse. No victims of librarians have ever survived to tell their tale. :eek:

DrDavid
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I love that I can carry a firearm (LTC) into all of the above but may not be able to have my folder at the same time in some of these circumstances...

Amusing.

-Gene

What's interesting is that 171b actually makes it seem that there MAY be an exemption for knives if you have a CCW.. It requires a bit of a leap of faith, but...

CAL. PEN. CODE 171b : California Code - Section 171b
Search CAL. PEN. CODE 171b : California Code - Section 171b

Search by Keyword or Citation

(a)Any person who brings or possesses within any state or local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the public pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 54950) of Part 1 of Division 2 of Title 5 of, or Article 9 (commencing with Section 11120) of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of, the Government Code, any of the following is guilty of a public offense punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or in the state prison:

(1)Any firearm.

(2)Any deadly weapon described in Section 653k or 12020.

(3)Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the blade of which is fixed or is capable of being fixed in an unguarded position by the use of one or two hands.

(4)Any unauthorized tear gas weapon.

(5)Any taser or stun gun, as defined in Section 244.5.

(6)Any instrument that expels a metallic projectile, such as a BB or pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun or paint gun.

(b)Subdivision (a) shall not apply to, or affect, any of the following:

(3)A person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4.

Now, I guess you can say I'm out to lunch, and in fact the LTC only covers the firearm itself, but, (b) says (a) doesn't apply if any of the following is met. With an LTC, you meet (3), therefore, doesn't (a) not apply? :)

littlejake
07-10-2012, 10:46 AM
They have metal detectors in libraries now?

DrDavid
07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Knives are tools. My job requires me to cut wires occasionally. Never know when I'll get a call to go onsite and cut a bad cat6 wire to re-punch it to a punch board.

Know how you can tell the winner of a knife fight? He's the one who needed fewer stitches.

POLICESTATE
07-10-2012, 10:52 AM
What's interesting is that 171b actually makes it seem that there MAY be an exemption for knives if you have a CCW.. It requires a bit of a leap of faith, but...

Yeah and a leap of faith in this state is playing with fire.

Decoligny
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Now, I guess you can say I'm out to lunch, and in fact the LTC only covers the firearm itself, but, (b) says (a) doesn't apply if any of the following is met. With an LTC, you meet (3), therefore, doesn't (a) not apply? :)

I think the leap fails because of the two words after the bold section.

(3)A person holding a valid license to carry the firearm [pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4.

In essence the refence to "the firearm" could be read to specify section (a) (1) instead of the entirity of section (a).

DrDavid
07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
I think the leap fails because of the two words after the bold section.

(3)A person holding a valid license to carry the firearm [pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4.

In essence the refence to "the firearm" could be read to specify section (a) (1) instead of the entirity of section (a).

That's true, but it could also be interpreted as meaning that if you have a LTC for a gun, and have the gun on you, who cares about the knife? It does say that (b) is a test for whether (a) is valid. You pass the test under (b), (a) isn't enforceable.

paul0660
07-10-2012, 11:53 AM
How about the Library of Congress?

Librarian
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM

I hope you have a nice lunch, because you have the construction right.

(b) says (a) does not apply if one meets one (or more) of the conditions listed in (b).

That doesn't override the bits governing knives at schools or Federal law, though.

Librarian
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
How about the Library of Congress?

Not in Sacramento.

I haven't been in 30 years or so; I don't remember metal detectors there way back then, but the World Has Changed.

ethik226
07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Not to thread jack but how are you supposed to transport a fixed blade knife if you don't have a car and don't want to open carry? Also, can you open carry a fixed blade knife close to a school or federal building? I would assume that depends on the city you are in but I am curious about the state law if there is one. Thank you.

Burla
07-10-2012, 1:28 PM
Hey Librarian,
Thanks for posting that knife law link, if I hadn't read it I would have been in violation of the law unintentionally for an indeterminate length of time. I had split my carry between Cold Steels 2 inch dagger and Spyderco's 2.4 inch Kiwi about 50/50 percent of the time. Thanks to you I now know the dagger is illegal. I had "thought" it would be legal due to the length, but I was mistaken. It will be the Kiwi from now on, which appears to be totally legal, less then 2.5 and it doesn't lock. Thanks again, Burla

ElvenSoul
07-10-2012, 1:32 PM
I know a Sweet Young Lady that goes to Sac State and Neck Carries a Mora #1/0 :)

Dr Rockso
07-10-2012, 2:11 PM
I know a Sweet Young Lady that goes to Sac State and Neck Carries a Mora #1/0 :)
Exposed? Concealed would be a violation of the PC formerly known as 12020.

Props to her on picking a cool knife, though.

Librarian
07-10-2012, 2:22 PM
Not to thread jack but how are you supposed to transport a fixed blade knife if you don't have a car and don't want to open carry? Also, can you open carry a fixed blade knife close to a school or federal building? I would assume that depends on the city you are in but I am curious about the state law if there is one. Thank you.

Knife law link, below.

No CONCEALED fixed blades, anywhere, any size.

DrDavid
07-10-2012, 3:06 PM
Knife law link, below.

No CONCEALED fixed blades, anywhere, any size.
Unless of course you're a chef and transporting your huge cleaver and/or chef's knife. Then, it's all good.. :rolleyes:

eltee
07-10-2012, 7:02 PM
Public libraries were part of my patrol when I was a sergeant. The libraries posted that certain items and behaviors were prohibited and enforced by a local ordinance so we would often get called to cite / arrest violators who were a problem. Again, the ordinance required posting of the prohibitions at the entrance.