PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Bench Tool?

ChrisToad
07-09-2012, 2:35 PM
I tried doing some searching on this, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a few reloader friends who love the Dillon Super Swage 600 bench tool... but I saw that RCBS released a competing product this year at the SHOT show. Has anyone had the chance to try it out or compare it to the Dillon tool?

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/rcbsnew01.jpg

BrianRodela
07-09-2012, 4:52 PM
It works pretty well although you can remove much of the crimp with an 82 degree countersink. Just make sure it's bolted down securely as lateral forces can cause it to move sideways. No complaints and easy to change and adjust components.

sofbak
07-09-2012, 8:51 PM
From the photo it looks like it has two levers-one to drop the case and another one to drive the swage tool into the pocket. Is that correct?

If it really is a two handed op, I think I'd go with the Dillon 600 and the rubber band and string automation upgrade.

WRENCHHEAD
07-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I was deciding between the rcbs and dillon. I went dillon because you can do the rubberband string mod to it. And if you think about it, trying to swage pulling a lever front to rear/side to side is a whole lot more work than dillons up/down motion.

bubbapug1
07-09-2012, 11:11 PM
I went with the dillon too because RCBS has no manual or video on how this thing works. If its a sideways motion as stated...the dillon has to be easier to run 1000 cases through as you just lean 5% of your weight on the bar and its over.

I don't think the rubber band mod is really required on the dillon, its a nice touch but your hand never leaves that area anyway.

I do think someone would have to be a sadist to use a countersink bit or the RCBS decrimp station on their case prep unit (been there...too darn long)versus the dillon or RCBS swadging unit. The counter sink method takes both pressure and time, and given enough cases will give you a blister too!! Its about 4x longer to do than with these swadging tools, and you also are taking away brass from a very critical area in the case.

For right now the Dillon is still the optimal unit.

BrianRodela
07-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Bubba, I think you might be missunderstanding how I prep brass. Regarding the RCBS Swadging tool, My hand never leaves the case holder either and the lateral motion through the use of the cam isn't too bad. Regarding how I remove the crimp with the countersink, I simply chuck it up in the drill, squeeze the trigger and touch the case to the countersink. You don't need to remove much of the parent material to get rid of the crimp. With the WFT trimmer and the countersink, I can run through brass quite quickly. When the opportunity presents itself, I'll have to post a video.

Javi
07-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Here's a little demo of the tool for those interested:

kATf6eZpgHU

ChrisToad
07-10-2012, 1:26 AM
Here's a little demo of the tool for those interested:

kATf6eZpgHU

That guy made it look pretty simple, and it didn't seem like he had to exert much force to make it work (re: sideways motion)

I do appreciate everyone's input on the topic. Maybe I'll buy both and post a review? :D