PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Amend. Sub Section Request

glockfu
07-09-2012, 2:21 AM
I apologize if I put this under the wrong section, please move if needed.

I want to request a subsection of the 2nd Amendment forum which is reserved for announcements regarding gun laws that have actually changed. This forum will be restricted to new topics by calguns staff or moderators and should be used to announce new laws that have been passed which affect our 2nd amendment rights. For example, the unloaded open carry law that got passed, or when Nevada removed reciprocity with Utah for their CCW, etc. These types of topics would be posted in the forum by staff or moderators.

The benefit of this would be that all members or anyone who chooses to can subscribe to this forum and always be kept up to date on the forever changing laws. It is very easy for some people, me included, to get busy with life and not be able to keep up for a while only to find out by chance that a certain law has changed and what they could once do, they canít anymore. If we had this forum, members could subscribe and get notified of changes to hopefully avoid legal problems stemming from outdated knowledge. Having a separate sub forum where only staff and moderators could make announcements like these would be helpful so that members donít get notified of new posts in this section from simple discussion of the issues. The discussion could be kept in the main 2nd Amendment section.

What do you think?

strongpoint
07-09-2012, 3:46 AM
http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml

glockfu
07-09-2012, 2:30 PM
http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't accomplish what I was hoping. That talks about all bills that are currently being brought up and and I don't think it notifies you of new laws that were actually passed. If I'm wrong please let me know.

My hopes for this section is so that only things that actually get passed into law get posted in the forum so that everyone who subscribes will always be notified when something changes. This would be a HUGE benefit for the many people that aren't able to check the site everyday.

This could also be used to attract new members to the site. I have many friends that own guns but aren't members of this forum because they are not as wrapped up with 2a as many members here are but if I could direct them to this forum as a means to keep up to date with all these changing laws, I could see a lot of people signing up for that benefit alone.

760practicalshooter
07-09-2012, 3:13 PM
Seems like a good idea to me. I would subscribe.

zhyla
07-09-2012, 3:16 PM
I'd rather we just nuke all the crap that people post in this forum. I really don't want to hear about your UN treat or your Obamacare or "How does today's completely unrelated SCOTUS X ruling affect 2A rights?" I just want to know what's going on with CA court cases. I'd probably even be more likely to donate more frequently if everything here was actually legislation/litigation oriented.

Librarian
07-09-2012, 4:06 PM
Mod hat still on, but I don't own the place, so this is not Policy.

I don't think it's a good idea.

I'm personally in favor of a better set of choices in what people post in the 2A forum, but without closing the place there really isn't a lot more we can do. Sometimes things that seem really off topic veer into a really good, appropriate discussion.

No, the argument that seems important to me is liability.

Suppose, for example, that the mods (or designated contributors, who would have 'mod powers' to post in such a sub-forum) missed some law. Suppose some member, confidently expecting timely information that allows him to make decisions on his actions, is caught up in violating that law, and is prosecuted.

Would Calguns, Kestryll, the mods and contributors be liable for damages? Would 'we' experience loss of reputation and monetary penalty for actions taken or actions omitted in providing such information?

I really do not know.

The advice you get here - see my .sig! - should not be construed as 'legal advice'; even if a post is written by a lawyer, that poster probably does not have an established client relationship with those who read the posts. A forum or sub-forum as proposed strikes me as leading farther down the 'legal advice' path than makes me comfortable.

I'll re-post the note applied to this forum: Discuss gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel. What I personally try to do is give people a good handle on the risks. But before assuming risks, one needs to think about the situation, and sometimes that thinking would be enhanced by consultation with a Real Lawyer. Application of new or changed laws to one's life seems to be better done with more intimate knowledge of the details than a forum can provide.

glockfu
07-09-2012, 6:05 PM
I definitely understand where you're coming from but it still seems like it should be done with a little caution. Just how this forum is prefaced with the things you describe that sub forum could be as well. And instead of posing it as legal advice, it would simply state the laws and regulations that have passed with a disclosure that it is not a complete list.

Just for example, if you knew nothing about the uloaded open carry change and you now try to go and find it. You have to do quite a bit of digging, and that is also if you are specifically looking for it too.

The posts in that forum don't have to give an interpretation of the new law (although it could if you decided), it just needs to say that AB144 just passed which regulates unloaded open carry or something to that effect. That way it should be known that it is not a complete and exhaustive list but more of a sort of news feed.

Although it may not capture everything, it will catch most things since you guys do a pretty damn good job catching most stuff anyways.

Ctwo
07-10-2012, 12:59 PM
No, the argument that seems important to me is liability.

Suppose, for example, that the mods (or designated contributors, who would have 'mod powers' to post in such a sub-forum) missed some law. Suppose some member, confidently expecting timely information that allows him to make decisions on his actions, is caught up in violating that law, and is prosecuted.

Would Calguns, Kestryll, the mods and contributors be liable for damages?

I thought liability was already assumed?

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page#Recent_legislation