PDA

View Full Version : DROS and out of state Gun Sales?

SilverTauron
07-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Got a question for the assembly here. As an out of state buyer , If I order a used handgun gun in CA which is sent to my FFL, what becomes of its DROS entry?

Is the DROS entry for that firearm and owner purged upon shipping? Or Sale? Or is the handgun forever registered to that owner? I ask because in the event I visit CA with the piece and its attendant DROS entry is permanent, is there a risk ill be jammed up for owning what on paper appears to be someone else's gun?

Thanks in advance for the useful responses!

Librarian
07-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Got a question for the assembly here. As an out of state buyer , If I order a used handgun gun in CA which is sent to my FFL, what becomes of its DROS entry?

Is the DROS entry for that firearm and owner purged upon shipping? Or Sale? Or is the handgun forever registered to that owner? I ask because in the event I visit CA with the piece and its attendant DROS entry is permanent, is there a risk ill be jammed up for owning what on paper appears to be someone else's gun?

Thanks in advance for the useful responses!

DROS is permanent; the records are kept in Sacramento.

AFS - Automated Firearms System - is, by repute, rather unreliable; there exists a 'no longer in possession' form (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf?), that is supposed to disconnect the gun from the person disposing of the gun, but it does not appear to delete the record.

It's PC 11106 (c) (1) The Attorney General shall permanently keep and properly file and maintain all information reported to the Department of Justice pursuant to the following provisions as to handguns and maintain a registry thereof:

(2) The registry shall consist of all of the following:

(A) The name, address, identification of, place of birth (state or country), complete telephone number, occupation, sex, description, and all legal names and aliases ever used by the owner or person being loaned the particular firearm as listed on the information provided to the department on the Dealers’ Record of Sale, the Law Enforcement Firearms Transfer (LEFT), as defined in former Section 12084, or reports made to the department pursuant to any provision listed in subdivision (a) of Section 16585 or any other law.

(B) The name and address of, and other information about, any person (whether a dealer or a private party) from whom the owner acquired or the person being loaned the particular firearm and when the firearm was acquired or loaned as listed on the information provided to the department on the Dealers’ Record of Sale, the LEFT, or reports made to the department pursuant to any provision listed in subdivision (a) of Section 16585 or any other law.

(C) Any waiting period exemption applicable to the transaction which resulted in the owner of or the person being loaned the particular firearm acquiring or being loaned that firearm.

(D) The manufacturer’s name if stamped on the firearm, model name or number if stamped on the firearm, and, if applicable, the serial number, other number (if more than one serial number is stamped on the firearm), caliber, type of firearm, if the firearm is new or used, barrel length, and color of the firearm, or, if the firearm is not a handgun and does not have a serial number or any identification number or mark assigned to it, that shall be noted.

SilverTauron
07-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the quick response. So this means a used handgun that's traded outside CA and brought back in can still be registered to a previous owner.

ke6guj
07-09-2012, 6:32 AM
Thanks for the quick response. So this means a used handgun that's traded outside CA and brought back in can still be registered to a previous owner.

yup.

littlejake
07-09-2012, 8:34 AM
...AFS - Automated Firearms System - is, by repute, rather unreliable...

I can attest and prove that. AFS request 2007, errors.
AFS request 2011, needed new corrections; and 2 handguns sold long ago and had NLIPs were added back with acknowledgement of the NLIP.

I appears under CAAG Harris if the DOJ cannot pick up the paper trail after you; they are putting them back on your AFS printout.

fiddletown
07-09-2012, 9:09 PM
...If I order a used handgun gun in CA which is sent to my FFL, what becomes of its DROS entry?

Is the DROS entry for that firearm and owner purged upon shipping? Or Sale? Or is the handgun forever registered to that owner? I ask because in the event I visit CA with the piece and its attendant DROS entry is permanent, is there a risk ill be jammed up for owning what on paper appears to be someone else's gun? ...Given the responses you've gotten in this thread and your concerns, I'd suggest that if you buy a handgun from California in this way you keep a copy of your 4473 and other paperwork on the transaction.

If there are later questions about the gun, at least with good documentation of the transaction it's likely to be no more than a mild annoyance.