PDA

View Full Version : California Deer Hunting

BakeTownFF
07-08-2012, 6:58 PM
Hey everyone....this is my first post as a member here although I've been skimming threads for a while now. I recently relocated to Bakersfield a little over a year ago for a job. I grew up in Orange County an avid saltwater fisherman so now I'm adapting and doing a lot more freshwater fishing and recently got into hunting. Anyway, I purchased a deer tag in the A Zone this year. I've never hunted there before and I know this not a lot of public land. (Im working on some leads for private land) Anyone got any tips for the public land there?

-Sean

Mrbroom
07-09-2012, 11:13 AM
This coming season will be my second time out. Last year, only got to be out for 3 days as the weather forced me out. I was up in Plumas National Forest with a 2 wheel drive Silverado. Not good when the first real snow storm of the season was to be a big one! Also, only seen 3 does over those 3 days. I'm sure there are bucks around there!

Anyways, as me being a rookie still, I wish you the best of luck!

devil83dog@hotmail.com
07-09-2012, 11:42 AM
A-zone, I hunt los Padres national forest every year. Plenty of public land, you just have to do some homework

mif_slim
07-09-2012, 1:08 PM
Fort Liggett is abundant with deer but I think you have to fill out a form before season to reserve a spot for you to hunt. Other then that...I've tried southern and northern part of A zone and its a hard zone to hunt for its ridged hills.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-09-2012, 1:25 PM
plenty of public land in southern A zone, and some in the north. It's the big chunk in the middle with not a lot of public land to hit. Liggett, you buy a season pass online for $100 or something, good to go for the whole year. Good bass fishing their, too.

Manolito
07-09-2012, 1:48 PM
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/manolito9/deer106.jpg

I promise there are deer in Plumas National Forest. That is where this was taken.

There is a lot of public land to hunt in the A zone.

Good luck and spend all next year scouting and researching locations you will have better results.

Bill

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-09-2012, 2:20 PM
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/manolito9/deer106.jpg

I promise there are deer in Plumas National Forest. That is where this was taken.
the question is, was this actually IN the forest, or on a bordering private property?

outbrakeridah
07-10-2012, 7:53 AM
Fort hunter Ligget will be closed on the opener for A zone so plan for elsewhere. On the other hand Archery is open and I think I'm going to give it shot with the bow. More like a scouting trip for general season.