PDA

View Full Version : Are thumbhole stocks for rifles considered a "pistol grip"?

rogervzv
07-08-2012, 6:39 PM
Or not? Thanks.

gatesbox
07-08-2012, 6:43 PM
A thumbhole stock is a thumbhole stock. If you are asking if using one makes your detachable magazine Centerfire rifle an AW under CA law, use the flowchart link above. You will note a Thumbhole Stock is in the same category of features in the flow chart as a pistol grip.

CSACANNONEER
07-08-2012, 6:47 PM
A thumbhole stock is a thumbhole stock. If you are asking if using one makes your detachable magazine Centerfire rifle an AW under CA law, use the flowchart link above. You will note a Thumbhole Stock is in the same category of features in the flow chart as a pistol grip.

Great answer.

wash
07-08-2012, 6:55 PM
Short answer, yes they are.

Complicated answer, there is a legal definition of pistol grip and it may be possible that a thumb hole stock does not fit that description but "thumbhole stock" might be an "assault weapon" feature (I'm not sure) which would remove all debate.

For reference, the Hammerhead grip was designed specifically not to be a pistol grip, that's the way I find the California definition of pistol grip.

GOEX FFF
07-08-2012, 8:03 PM
Short answer, yes they are.

Complicated answer, there is a legal definition of pistol grip and it may be possible that a thumb hole stock does not fit that description but "thumbhole stock" might be an "assault weapon" feature (I'm not sure) which would remove all debate.

For reference, the Hammerhead grip was designed specifically not to be a pistol grip, that's the way I find the California definition of pistol grip.

As stated, yes thumbhole stocks are an "AW" feature defined in SB 23 -

Article 2. Definitions of Terms Used to Identify Assault Weapons
978.20 Definitions

The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1: (This might be the old PC code)

(a) “detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device that can be
removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action
nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is
considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked
ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load
cartridges into the magazine.

(b) “flash suppressor” means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.

(c) “forward pistol grip” means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp forward of the trigger.

(d) "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon” means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing.

(e) “thumbhole stock” means a stock with a hole that allows the thumb of the
trigger hand to penetrate into or through the stock while firing.

Steyr_223
07-08-2012, 8:15 PM
Filling the thumbhole is one solution.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/DSC03408.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY665.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY1130-1.jpg

rogervzv
07-08-2012, 8:16 PM
Thanks guys. Guess I'll forget about that target stock for my Mini 14.

bwiese
07-08-2012, 10:40 PM
A thumbhole stock is a separate 'characteristic feature' entity from a pistol grip.

(Nevertheless, it would likely also trigger pistol grip definition.)

A thumbhole stock is not a way to get around CA AW law, and this is one of the ways CA SB23 differed from Federal law.