PDA

View Full Version : Field Sports County Park, San Jose

wxc96
05-28-2007, 7:23 PM
Hey All,

Just wondering if Field Sports County Park in San Jose is OLL friendly. So has anybody recently been there?

50 Freak
05-28-2007, 9:11 PM
Yes, it's know by many as the "Metcalf Range".

Good bunch of guys there. I have often times seen OLL and I've taken my AW's many times.

wxc96
05-29-2007, 10:14 PM
thanks for the info...:)

Mugwump
05-30-2007, 8:38 PM
I was just there Saturday with a mag-locked OLL, no problems at all.

Be sure to open up the rifle and pull the bolt back during cease fire, better yet, bring a yellow chamber flag if you have one (this will make it quite obvious that the rifle is safe and they won't have to explain what you already know).:)

djslik408
06-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Where in San Jose is this at? It sounds like a fun place to shoot! Is it outdoor or indoor?

RudyN
06-04-2007, 6:01 PM
Outdoor Range with covered shooting bays for both rifle & pistol. It is in south San Jose off of Metcalf Rd. It is owned by Santa Clara County and is part of the County Park System

web site is: http://www.sccgov.org/portal/site/parks/menuitem.244564f66e6d425580b558bb35cda429/?path=%2Fv7%2FParks%20and%20Recreation%2C%20Depart ment%20of%20%28DEP%29%2FPark%20Activities%2FSports %20Facilities%2FShooting%20Range

Forgot to add that there are also skeet & trap ranges there

The Soup Nazi
06-04-2007, 6:20 PM
If you're lucky you can catch people firing off a 50 BMG or a 1919 on occasion.

50 Freak
06-04-2007, 6:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're lucky you can catch people firing off a 50 BMG or a 1919 on occasion.

That was me a few years ago....before I sold the 1919. My favorite time was when my buddy and I brought both our 1919's. Was nice to see two 1919s firing at the end of the range.

Also don't forget to shoot the steel plates at the end of the range. They are so much more fun than punching paper.

Powersauce
06-07-2007, 1:39 PM
I think they have a 200yd range as well....not sure.

thmpr
06-07-2007, 2:40 PM
There is a 200 yards range there but I think it is open once a month... Best to call them.

phish
06-07-2007, 2:42 PM
There is a 200 yards range there but I think it is open once a month... Best to call them.

that's odd, I sometimes shoot up to 3 times a month there...

:25:

af240z
06-07-2007, 2:51 PM
yep, they're OLL friendly. Many people come with ar-15s and ak47s. I've seen people shoot bmgs and 1919s as mentioned above. Rangemasters are very laid back, as long as you obey the general rules, they're very friendly and it's a lax atmosphere.

crunchy2k
06-07-2007, 2:53 PM
I think they have a 200yd range as well....not sure.

The Zouaves rifle club keeps the 200 yard range open the other three weekends it would normally be closed. Be sure to drop by http://zouaves.org/ and join. $10 bucks a year. They post their match schedule on their website and in their yahoo group.

Headsup: Right now the site is experiencing trouble...

Mud
06-07-2007, 8:10 PM
If during the week you see a guy in Dockers and a couple odd looking AR-15's, come over and say hi. I test the Blackstar Rifles over at Metcalf when I can pull a lunch break away from work. Always enjoy meeting Calguns members. :)

sardaukar
06-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Was there today with some friends testing out my new AR-15. Met a fellow CalGuns member, SoupNazi. A good time was had by all. Still need to sight in my Eotech a little better. There's nothing like hearing the ping of steel targets to bring a big smile to your face.

af240z
06-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I might trek out there the weekend of the 30th if time allows. If you see a guy with red earmuffs and russian sks/m44/sportsterized 91/30 in montecarlo stock, say hello, and you're welcome to squeeze off a few rounds

3rd_gear
06-22-2007, 9:17 PM
I'll be there tomorrow june 22.

The Soup Nazi
06-23-2007, 5:10 PM
Well, it was a great day at Metcalf. Met up with Sardaukar, Tweek338, and 3rd_Gear. At one point, we had 3 AR-15s, M17 bullpup, someone with his lever mag AK-47 (which we actually directed towards Calguns) and someone with the super evil Tapco T-6 stock on his SKS ripping the steel apart. Sardaukar's grip is really nice and I feel the need to get one now though I just seem to prefer good ole iron sights over the eotech. Sardaukar took pictures of our evil blackies layed out and should be posting them soon. Seeing the occasional Calguns flier, I think Metcalf is becoming the South Bay bastion of OLL builds like Chabot.

People are starting to learn that there is a legal way of acquiring these rifles and the recepition is really positive. "So those stocks are collapsible?" Its great to hear people wanting to get into this stuff, especially the ones who hear about the bullet button/fixed mag solution and go, "Oh yeah, I don't give a s*** about that, thats nothing." "The only thing you need to treat like a firearm is the lower part?"

Smoothiesd
06-23-2007, 6:16 PM
Is anybody heading out there tomorrow? I was thinking about heading out there for my first trip.

sardaukar
06-23-2007, 9:56 PM
Sardaukar took pictures of our evil blackies layed out and should be posting them soon.

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot already.

Images removed. Sorry, I realized that the pictures may cause unwanted attention even though all rifles pictures are compliant with CA laws.

Smoothiesd, I may go tomorrow if time permits and the wife and kids don't complain too much.

wxc96
07-03-2007, 8:59 PM
was up there this last weekend...great range..... only low point was picking up brass:mad::mad::mad::mad:

sardaukar
07-04-2007, 10:05 AM
was up there this last weekend...great range..... only low point was picking up brass:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Did they hassle you about taking your brass or something?

mcubed4130
07-09-2007, 9:56 PM
:)

I go there all the time... the normal deal is... Every few minutes one of the range masters will walk by and say:

"no rapid fire - no shooting faster than 1 every 3 seconds..."

"you need to pick up your brass..."

"you need to take down your target when you are done for the day..."

As I've been shooting my shotgun (slugs) lately, I always laugh and ask if they want me to pick up other people's brass, or just my huge plastic shells. :D

In general everyone there is cool... the woman there can get a bit feisty - and nit-picky about the rules... but as I understand it, she's the higher up or something...

-M3

sardaukar
07-10-2007, 1:41 AM

I go there all the time... the normal deal is... Every few minutes one of the range masters will walk by and say:

"no rapid fire - no shooting faster than 1 every 3 seconds..."

As I've been shooting my shotgun (slugs) lately, I always laugh and ask if they want me to pick up other people's brass, or just my huge plastic shells. :D

In general everyone there is cool... the woman there can get a bit feisty - and nit-picky about the rules... but as I understand it, she's the higher up or something...

-M3

I have yet to experience any of what you said. Maybe they're more relaxed on weekends? The only time I have heard them saying anything is during the ceasefire period every fifteen minutes.

My rate of fire is 1 rd/sec and have never been talked to. Sometimes, 1 per 2 sec, but rarely longer than that.

I don't worry about them reminding us to pick up brass. I try to do that after each magazine is expended, more so because I don't want anyone to slip and fall on my spent cases. 22 lr brass is hard to see afterall. ;)

I am in agreement with your last statement, somewhat. All of the range officers I have met there are extremely nice and love to chat with shooters. I enjoy shooting there so much, I haven't bothered to try any other ranges in the vicinity. Should I? :D

I hope to acquire steel targets somehow and bring them on my next trip. Steel is better than paper!

pslung
07-15-2007, 4:17 PM
Went there yesterday with my OLL for the first time, and everyone was extremely nice about it. The range master even gave me advice about stowing away the charging handle when I have the bolt out during the cease fire. My wife and I did a lot of chatting with him, and I have to say that it was one of the nicest experiences I've ever had at a shooting range.

dwtt
07-15-2007, 4:30 PM

As I've been shooting my shotgun (slugs) lately, I always laugh and ask if they want me to pick up other people's brass, or just my huge plastic shells.
-M3

Did they have anyone there shooting .50 cal? I'll gladly come down and help pick up their brass, especially if they have IMI brass and about 150 cases.

sardaukar
07-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Went there yesterday with my OLL for the first time, and everyone was extremely nice about it. The range master even gave me advice about stowing away the charging handle when I have the bolt out during the cease fire. My wife and I did a lot of chatting with him, and I have to say that it was one of the nicest experiences I've ever had at a shooting range.

From my experience, they're good people.

Last Saturday they ripped someone a new one for firing a round after a ceasefire was called. :D

wellfedirishman
07-16-2007, 11:55 AM
I shoot there every week and they are the nicest bunch of people you are likely to meet. Very helpful, knowledgeable and professional.

The range is also kid-friendly which is great, it is a nice family place where parents and kids are both welcome and respected.

Good shooting to all :)

The Soup Nazi
07-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I hope to acquire steel targets somehow and bring them on my next trip. Steel is better than paper!

So how are we doing on getting that new stand up? The center of their steel hanger frames been pretty much obliterated and I'm pretty sure it wasn't us! I'll gladly chip in some of the cost the next time we meet since its pretty much us two killing the steel.

Dr. Peter Venkman
07-16-2007, 9:37 PM
Either way I'll knock the steel targets off, regardless of origin.

Dr. Peter Venkman
07-16-2007, 9:38 PM
From my experience, they're good people.

Last Saturday they ripped someone a new one for firing a round after a ceasefire was called. :D

CEASE FIRE MEANS CEASE FIRE, NOT FIRE OFF THE LAST ROUND.

haha

sardaukar
07-18-2007, 1:14 PM
So how are we doing on getting that new stand up? The center of their steel hanger frames been pretty much obliterated and I'm pretty sure it wasn't us! I'll gladly chip in some of the cost the next time we meet since its pretty much us two killing the steel.

I like the way this one is set up:
http://www.themetalman.com/targ_swinger.html

Haven't decided whether to purchase it or not, partly because I just completed the DROS on another lower to finish my newest build. You don't need to chip in for the setup. Just promise me that you won't shoot .50 and 20mm AP rounds at the steel if and when I do purchase it. :36:

Kidding aside, I think the target will hold up well due to the design. It SHOULD deflect most rounds down into the dirt.

On another note, I was at the Walmart in Milpitas yesterday getting some milk and decided that I would pick up some spray paint and ammo. Do clerks actually man those counters? I ended up leaving without both.

sardaukar
07-28-2007, 1:55 PM
So how are we doing on getting that new stand up? The center of their steel hanger frames been pretty much obliterated...

It looked like there was more than that missing today...
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3654/img1221bmy3.jpg

Link to a video:
Two guys shootin' stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI-i9uZnFZ0)

And another picture for good measure:
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5072/img1218bad1.jpg

The Soup Nazi
07-28-2007, 5:01 PM
Oh wow, I wasn't paying attention to my stance that time. :eek: Oh well, the times I was using that sling right I was actually hitting the plates in succession with the SKS standing or crouching.

Tweak338
07-28-2007, 6:37 PM
What the hell have you two been doing to the target frame?

*edit*
I think you guys need to come with me to Los Altos and try out the Tin Can range..

sardaukar
07-28-2007, 10:13 PM
I think you guys need to come with me to Los Altos and try out the Tin Can range..

I might take you up on that offer. :43:

Dr. Peter Venkman
07-29-2007, 12:36 AM
Oh wow, I wasn't paying attention to my stance that time. :eek: Oh well, the times I was using that sling right I was actually hitting the plates in succession with the SKS standing or crouching.

Are you finally slinging up? :cool:

mcubed4130
08-23-2007, 7:10 PM
Anyone know what if Metcalf has age minimums?

A bunch of us are headed these Saturday morning... but we are bringing nieces, nephews, sons, daughters, etc... under 18, lowest age is 8.

Anyone know if there is a min age to shoot?

-M3

Hunter
08-23-2007, 7:16 PM
Anyone know what if Metcalf has age minimums?

A bunch of us are headed these Saturday morning... but we are bringing nieces, nephews, sons, daughters, etc... under 18, lowest age is 8.

Anyone know if there is a min age to shoot?

-M3

If you are under 18 years of age, you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

http://www.sccgov.org/portal/site/parks/print?contentId=27e598ba77784010VgnVCM10000048dc4a 92____

wellfedirishman
08-23-2007, 7:17 PM
I go there regularly and see kids from approx 5 or 6 years or older learning safe shooting with their parents. It is a very nice and family friendly range, and the guys who work there are great.

mcubed4130
08-23-2007, 7:24 PM
I go there regularly and see kids from approx 5 or 6 years or older learning safe shooting with their parents. It is a very nice and family friendly range, and the guys who work there are great.

Great! I recall seeing kids age ~5 but they were not shooting... I also saw a kid age ~8-10 last time, shooting a scoped rifle that was bigger than he was... anyway, we'll have plenty of adults along too.

Thanks again.

-M3

Hunter
08-23-2007, 7:39 PM
Great! I recall seeing kids age ~5 but they were not shooting... I also saw a kid age ~8-10 last time, shooting a scoped rifle that was bigger than he was... anyway, we'll have plenty of adults along too.

Thanks again.

-M3

Remember, while there is no age restriction, they do require the kid's parent or legal guardian present. A uncle doesn't work if they realize who the adult is.

sardaukar
08-31-2007, 8:32 PM
Finally get to head back to the range tomorrow after a 2 week hiatus. Man did I miss it. :clap:

sardaukar
08-31-2007, 8:32 PM
Remember, while there is no age restriction, they do require the kid's parent or legal guardian present. A uncle doesn't work if they realize who the adult is.

I had thought about taking my wife's nephew to the range, but seeing as I don't look like I'm quite old enough to be his father, this may be a problem.

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-31-2007, 11:33 PM

That was not the case for me. I took my 16 year old cousin out to the range with me and they did not have a problem with me signing his paper.

sardaukar
09-01-2007, 8:57 PM
Had a good time at the range today. I see someone fabricated a new steel target hanger. Three steel targets of varying size. Sweet. :cheers2:

One of the range masters did have a talk with me however. Seems I was a bit enthusiastic about rapid fire. I think I was letting loose 2 rounds per minute with my AR carbine. He asked me to "breath between shots" or something like that. My mistake. Won't happen again. :D