PDA

View Full Version : S&W Governor

Epogen
07-08-2012, 3:47 PM
Can this handgun (SBS, shots 410 shells)be brought into CA legally if you are moving here and bought it out of state?

islandviewent
07-08-2012, 4:09 PM
Nope

REH
07-08-2012, 4:18 PM
Any handgun that can fire a shotgun shell is consisered a short barrel shotgun.

Dee_Dub
07-08-2012, 4:25 PM
i've realized you cant own anything "cool" in ca...

morrcarr67
07-08-2012, 6:31 PM
I would talk to Jack about this. This gun and the Judge can be made AOW's and then brought in for sale. The easiest way the buy an AOW in CA is to have an NFA Trust.

You might be able to set up a CA NFA Trust before moving here. Have the gun AOWed and when you move here it would be ok to bring as long as you follow all the NFA rules about moving and transferring AOWs.

CSACANNONEER
07-08-2012, 6:44 PM
It can be made into an AOW and brought here as such. Is it worth the $200 stamp and the cost of a trust?

rromeo
07-08-2012, 6:46 PM
It's only a $5 stamp.

Calm Down
07-08-2012, 7:08 PM
There is no case law that I'm aware of regarding .410 bore pistols. There are numerous opinions though stating that .410 pistols are illegal. The same logic is used by De Leon in his pending legislation regarding armor piercing handgun ammo. The ammo does not make the firearm illegal; only codified characteristics of a firearm can make it illegal. Many will argue that there is such law and :the ability of a handgun to accept a fixed "shotgun shell" proves it. I disagree since there is no definition of "shotgun shell". There is no significant difference between a .45LC round with #9 shot and a .410 round with #9 shot. We have rifles that discharge 9mm, we have pistols that discharge .308, and we have rifles and pistols that discharge shot shells in numerous calibers ranging from .22 to .50. When a term is ambiguous; it must be defined. We have the numerous definitions regarding firearms law. The characteristics of an assault weapon. .dimensions of a .50BMG, and tools used on OLL's.

ke6guj
07-08-2012, 7:13 PM
you don't have to have Trust to own an AOW in CA, you just have to have an approved Form 1 or Form 4. Its just that using a Trust is the easiest way for many people to get an AOW Form appoved. If you had a CLEO (or other ATF acceptable person) to sign off, you could get an AOW approved.\

Now, for the governor, you have 3 option to make it an AOW. One option is to install a VFG on it (the current way that Judges are AOW'ed for CA buyers), another is to make it a smoothbore (but that basically makes it .410 only), and the last option is to design a wallet holster for it.

Once it is AOW'ed out of state, it can be transfered to a CA SOT to transfer it to you.

Or, if you did this yourself while you lived out of state and had an approved Form, you can just bring it into CA without needing ATF permission. AOWs (and silencers) do not need ATF permission to transport across state lines, either temporarily or permanent. However, it would still be a good idea to file a 5320.20 with ATF informing of the move, both for ATF's records, and it gives you more "official" paper that you can use to paperstorm an uninformed LEO.

ke6guj
07-08-2012, 7:14 PM
It's only a $5 stamp.It's only a $5 stamp to buy, but it is a $200 stamp for a non-SOT to make.

CSACANNONEER
07-08-2012, 7:33 PM
It's only a $5 stamp.

I was assuming that the op was talking about a regular gun that he already owns out of state.

huntercf
07-08-2012, 8:44 PM
Thanks for the post. I'm up in WA on vacation and my friend has one of these and it is a nice firearm, I would love to have one.
Question though, if you have a VFG on it to get the AOW status does the VFG have to stay or can you remove it once the legal status is confirmed?

ke6guj
07-08-2012, 8:59 PM
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/ke6guj/NFAstuff/removeAOWfeaturesstillanAOW-redacted.jpg

morrcarr67
07-09-2012, 9:20 AM
I'm glad you're here Jack to answer these AOW questions.

Thank you.

skyscraper
07-09-2012, 9:24 AM
Jack, Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought I read that the barrel needs to be minimum 3" right? And isnt the governor only made in a 2-3/4" barrel?

ke6guj
07-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Jack, Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought I read that the barrel needs to be minimum 3" right? And isnt the governor only made in a 2-3/4" barrel?

it needs to be 3" if you are trying to transfer it a a single-action revolver while you are in CA, but the OP was talking about bringing in an already owned Governor, and the roster doesn't apply to personal imports.

rromeo
07-09-2012, 10:15 AM
I didn't realize the difference in stamps if you're buying or converting.
Thank you.

skyscraper
07-09-2012, 10:45 AM
it needs to be 3" if you are trying to transfer it a a single-action revolver while you are in CA, but the OP was talking about bringing in an already owned Governor, and the roster doesn't apply to personal imports.

Ok thanks. That explains why I was able to get a judge and not a governor.

forgiven
07-09-2012, 3:20 PM
OP, why would you want to live here?;)