PDA

View Full Version : Tokarev 9mm Conversion?

mr.22
07-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey guys been a while I would like to get one of those yugo m57 tokarev gunsmith specials from jgsales and wanted to convert it from 7.62x25 to 9mm.

The trouble I am having is I can't find a 9mm tokarev barrel.The only one I found cost $$$$238 more than a working gun.Can any one let me know where I can find one?

kcstott
07-08-2012, 1:20 PM
I think you're trying to change a cheep pistol into something very expensive.
Although you could sleeve the barrel. takes some work and some knowledge but it can be done.

mr.22
07-08-2012, 1:26 PM
Just to let you know theres no way I am buying a $238 barrel for a $180 gun.But is it possible to rebore it to 9mm from 7.62x25? And yet again does anyone have a clue were I can find a 9mm tokarev barrel? And one more question what mags work with what tokarevs?(I.E. polish,romanian,yugo,chinese,etc.)

kcstott
07-08-2012, 1:37 PM
No idea on the mags.
A rebore can be done but will cost you more then the $238 barrel.

meaty-btz
07-08-2012, 1:50 PM
Back a few years there was a manufacturer for both TT33 9mm Para conversion barrels and for the CZ-52 to 9mm. I don't know about the TT33 barrels but the CZ-52 9mm conversion barrels I have found lots of reports of improper hardness, etc. and crappy roller bearings that caused issues.

Now, mind you the TT33 was actually manufactured in 9mm Para in later years by the Communists. Though they are pretty damn rare as they are neither Curio nor Relics.

Chances are very high that you will not find a conversion barrel for either weapon for a reasonable price.

paul0660
07-08-2012, 1:53 PM
Hey guys been a while I would like to get one of those yugo m57 tokarev gunsmith specials from jgsales and wanted to convert it from 7.62x25 to 9mm.

The trouble I am having is I can't find a 9mm tokarev barrel.The only one I found cost $$$$238 more than a working gun.Can any one let me know where I can find one?

I am wondering why you want to do this.

mr.22
07-08-2012, 4:25 PM
I want to do this for a fun shooter and still be able to buy ammo in stores,and yes I know that 7.62x25 has better ballistics.I want a tokarev in 9mm ,but wanted to convert one too.I've seen 9mm tokarev barrels but they are all out fo stock save the barrel I mentioned.No one is making these any more?

bohoki
07-08-2012, 4:45 PM
the norinco 219 was my first pistol still have it i kind of wish it was in 7.62 but all my mags are the skinny ones

i think if you get the 9mm barrel you will need the 9mm bushing

meaty-btz
07-08-2012, 4:45 PM
No one has made them in some time is why.

paul0660
07-08-2012, 4:52 PM
and still be able to buy ammo in stores

Ok. But I would rather have a stash, and the cost of the barrel will by you a good stash.

mr.22
07-08-2012, 5:03 PM
I have heard that with some brands you don't need a bushing but not sure with the yugo m57.I found a neat trick to make cz52 mags work with the tokarev but its pointless without a barrel.Sucks no one makes them anymore man I grew up in the wrong time.Where the world is ruled be Hi-points and Kel-tecs.NOTE nothing against Hi-point just don't like the way they look.

VegasND
07-08-2012, 7:21 PM
I bought a couple of these a few years ago. Despite the remarks above they were cheap.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=595100A&catid=8694
Currently they are out of stock but they come and go. Watch for them to return. I see them at gun shows sometimes, they usually want more for them than Numrich sells them for. Bushings in 9mm are almost impossible to find; I opened a 7.62 bushing up and it works great.

I've installed 9mm barrels on my Tokarevs and my Yugo 57. The problem is magazines. Some Tok mags work okay with the shorter round and others don't. For the Yugo I converted a couple of CZ 52 mags and they work good with 7.62 or 9. The M57 mags generally don't work well with 9mm

The Chinese made 2 versions of the mags. One was a narrow 9mm mag that had a spacer in the mag well. CDNN has the mags but nobody I know of has the spacer in stock at this time.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/tokarev2139mm.html
The other mag uses the 7.62 mag body and the spacer is inside the mag. These are hard to find and usually go fairly dear. I've seen them at shows for $50 + . Both types of mags work pretty well. It's kind've cool to be able to change the pistol between calibers and Norinco used to sell pistols with both barrels and magazines.

Norinco 9mm Tokarevs can often be found for under $200 but they have the commercial wraparound grips and a cheap plastic thumbrest base on the mags.

Good luck finding the parts. If you're patient they'll turn up.

If you find a .38 Super barrel for the Tokarev somewhere please let me know -- I'd really like to have one.

meaty-btz
07-08-2012, 7:42 PM
Numrich is of course still out of the 9mm CZ barrels.. grr

mr.22
07-08-2012, 8:08 PM
Thanks meaty-btz I did check numrich but didn't know if they would come instock.I will certainly keep an eye out, and again thanks on the mags wasn't sure on how the cz 52 mags handle 9mm.Oh one last thing I can find norinco tokarev 9mm mags easy but heard that they were too short for the yugo.Could you tell me if they work or not?

meaty-btz
07-08-2012, 8:19 PM
Yugo and Norinco are different mags. The Yugo mag is unique.

mr.22
07-08-2012, 9:40 PM
Thanks meaty-btz so much for all your help.Its finally glad to see someone help me and not just point me at their better ideas.Thanks.

Gunsmith Dan
07-09-2012, 2:58 AM
Actually there is a bunch of Yugo M57 in 9mm that were made for Law Enforcement in several countries .... it is the one with the slide mounted safety.

The Tokarev and M57 are based on a blend of the Colt 1903 Pocket pistol and the Colt 1911. They are very accurate for a military firearm and actually worth converting when consider how much a base 1911 costs and then to customize it from there.

Currently I am customizing a M57, for looks and improved function, and to be honest the 7.62x25 round is very accurate for the same reason the .357 SIG is more accurate ... the bottle necked rifle type design.

So does spending $200, $400 or even $600+ on this gun make sense??? I believe it does as it has a strong foundation in design, a very cheap cost and could make a great competition handgun with the proper modifications.

shotcaller6
07-13-2012, 12:11 AM
The Tok is good just the way it is, let sleeping dogs lie so to speak.

Don the savage
07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
For what you will spend in mags and parts, if you want a cheap 9mm pick up a sig 2022 and be done with it, and save your tok for awesome fireball handcannon days.