PDA

View Full Version : W. German P226 vs. P228 CPO?

SIGman Freud
07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi all,

I have the option to buy either a P226 or P228 9mm certified pre-owned pistol for $599.99 from a local gun shop. I have seen these specimens and they are both in excellent-looking condition.

My question is this.......which one would YOU buy, and why?

P.S. I do not want a safe queen. I want something I can shoot and not have to worry a tiny scratch here or there on the pistol.

Whatisthis?
07-08-2012, 11:20 AM
If you're talking CSC, call before you decide. I saw their online ad as well. I was set on the West German P226, but when I called, they were out of them. I think I might even be happier I ended up with a P228. Either one will serve you well and I haven't handled a P226 in a while, but I LOVE my P228 and will never be getting rid of it.

SIGman Freud
07-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I really don't mind either. I hear that the P228 is one of the most comfortable shooting 9's ever built. I've also heard the W. German P226's are quite possibly one of the best service pistols ever.

So......yeah. Any other opinions?

unusedusername
07-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Which one fits your hand better? If you want a shooter then you want one you can shoot.

The P226 has larger grips so it's better for slightly bigger hands.

Both are great guns! I've got a newer P226 and a P229 that I enjoy shooting.

9mmepiphany
07-08-2012, 1:45 PM
I've had both.

The 226 served as my duty gun for a while, so I have a special affection for it. It is the gun that defines the SIG classic P-series. It was also the gun that almost replaced the 1911 as our service gun.

The 228 is just a shortened 226. I found it better balanced in my hand, easier to carry and a little faster between targets. It was adopted into service as the M-11, for military investigators.

CPO pistols give folks a bit of peace of mind, because they have been checked over at the factory and worn parts replaced...I have two CPO 220STs...but they charge a bit more for them than a LE trade-in. CPO pistols are usually refinished at the facory and they have a 1 year warranty

gunafficionado
07-08-2012, 4:24 PM
If I'm looking for a full size pistol, then I'll go for the P226. If it's a compact that I need, the P228 CPO is what I'll get.

SIGman Freud
07-08-2012, 6:18 PM
Thing is.......they're still making the P226, but not the P228. At least with the former, there will be parts available and interchangeable for a longer time than for the latter.

I have a compact CZ-P01, but also Beretta 92FS, Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm, and FNP 9mm. I guess I like the feel of the P228 in my hand (from what I've held in the gun store). The P226 felt a little bit larger but certainly not uncomfortable in hand (after all, I have no problem gripping and handling the Beretta 92). So, size and weight is not a problem. I don't plan on using either CPO Sig for ccw (I plan on getting a S&W M&P Shield once they're available).

That being said, what do others know about the pro's/con's of either the CPO P226 and P228 pistols?

Oldnoob
07-08-2012, 7:02 PM
Since you do not what a safe queen, make sure you take the slide off and inspect the slide rail. Sig does not offer much warranty for the CPO (one year I believe) and wear/tear DOES NOT qualify for warranty replace (can't repair) frame.

I have seem couple owner on Sig Forum got burn by it. Choose the one with better condition. I personally like full size over compact.

Oldnoob
07-08-2012, 7:04 PM
Thing is.......they're still making the P226, but not the P228. At least with the former, there will be parts available and interchangeable for a longer time than for the latter.

I have a compact CZ-P01, but also Beretta 92FS, Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm, and FNP 9mm. I guess I like the feel of the P228 in my hand (from what I've held in the gun store). The P226 felt a little bit larger but certainly not uncomfortable in hand (after all, I have no problem gripping and handling the Beretta 92). So, size and weight is not a problem. I don't plan on using either CPO Sig for ccw (I plan on getting a S&W M&P Shield once they're available).

That being said, what do others know about the pro's/con's of either the CPO P226 and P228 pistols?

IIRC other than slide profile, 228 is the same as 229. And most if not all 229 parts will fit for 228.

bsg
07-08-2012, 8:46 PM
see 9mmepiphany post above.

if i was adding one to my collection, i'd take an early w german lnib P228 over a lnib w german P226. buying one as a CPO... it's a matter of personal preference.

they both offer great ergonomics, legendary quality, reliability, and for my money... are equally worthy of ownership.

my sentimental favorite is the w german P226.

SouperMan
07-08-2012, 9:10 PM
If it's not going to be a shelf queen, I'd go with the P228. It's a great pistol to shoot, and I am kicking myself for a missed opportunity to buy one from a friend a long time ago.

SIGman Freud
07-09-2012, 10:22 AM
I guess either would be good to go. I hope they still have selection.

yzErnie
07-09-2012, 7:15 PM
I carried a W. German P226 on duty for years. The only thing I ever did to that bad boy was to clean it. It is one badass pistol. The P228 you mention, is it also a W. German? If so,I think I'd go with that over the W. German P226 just because it is such a balanced and fine shooting piece.

SIGman Freud
07-09-2012, 9:39 PM
Nice! Thanks, yzernie!

The P228 is a pretty nice feeling pistol. I can only imagine it shoots as well as it looks/feels in hand.

paintballdad
07-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I've had my P226 since '91 and it's easily my sentimental favorite for years. Although it's a large pistol for small hands, installing the short reach trigger made it a comfortable fit. To me and many others it defined the Sig P series. I was happy with my choice for all that time until 3 1/2 years ago when a friend decided to liquidate his gun collection. I was not looking for a P228 but knowing that i loved my P226, he offered his P228 at a price i couldn't refuse. The P228 felt a tad better balanced and fit my hand just little better than the P226. Although the Sig P226 defined the P series, i think the P228 is the P series perfected. My P226 will never be sold due to sentimental reasons, but the P228 will always remain for more practical reasons. Either choice will serve you well but my vote goes to the P228.

SIGman Freud
07-09-2012, 10:23 PM
I've had my P226 since '91 and it's easily my sentimental favorite for years. Although it's a large pistol for small hands, installing the short reach trigger made it a comfortable fit. To me and many others it defined the Sig P series. I was happy with my choice for all that time until 3 1/2 years ago when a friend decided to liquidate his gun collection. I was not looking for a P228 but knowing that i loved my P226, he offered his P228 at a price i couldn't refuse. The P228 felt a tad better balanced and fit my hand just little better than the P226. Although the Sig P226 defined the P series, i think the P228 is the P series perfected. My P226 will never be sold due to sentimental reasons, but the P228 will always remain for more practical reasons. Either choice will serve you well but my vote goes to the P228.

Nice! Thanks a bunch! I think I'll go for the P228 after all.

SIGman Freud
07-13-2012, 4:03 PM
Well, I just purchased my "New" p228! The last 2 guns were both in excellent condition, but I had my bud help me choose. He has better eyes for detail. ;p

I can't wait until July 24th, my pick up date. :) In case anyone is interested, Cordova Shooting Center has one more in stock.

Cheers!

tbhracing
07-13-2012, 4:13 PM
I both both, German models. I was going to say to go with the P228 for travel size and still works well at home. Good job!

SIGman Freud
07-13-2012, 5:09 PM
Yeah, it feels REALLY good in the hand. The gun looked brand new, inside and out! I had the salesman take both guns apart for closer inspection.

I don't think we'll see as many of these in this condition going for less than $600 for much longer.

yzErnie
07-15-2012, 8:54 AM
IMHO, you made a great choice!!

But, :useless: LOL http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/yzernie/lol.gif http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/yzernie/lol.gif

SIGman Freud
07-15-2012, 9:26 AM
When I get it, I'll post some pics, for sure! :)

paintballdad
07-15-2012, 4:53 PM
Congrats on a great choice. You'll love the P228.

SIGman Freud
07-15-2012, 5:42 PM
Can anyone make a good recommendation as to what mags fit the P228 the best? Which online seller is the best to purchase from?

paintballdad
07-15-2012, 5:53 PM
German made factory mags are great if you can find them. Mec-Gars would also be a great choice. P226 mags also fit the P228, they just stick out a bit.

SIGman Freud
07-15-2012, 6:53 PM
I've seen Mec-Gar mags on topgunsupply.com. Is that one of the better suppliers online?

epcii
07-15-2012, 7:02 PM
Get the W. German P228 while you still can. When they become more rare, their prices will rise. Very comfortable gun to shoot.

Sturnovik
07-15-2012, 7:04 PM
German made factory mags are great if you can find them. Mec-Gars would also be a great choice. P226 mags also fit the P228, they just stick out a bit.

+1.

Pretty much older factory mags and Mecgar are as good as it gets. Mecgars have an even better finish and easier to load than the newer checkmates and are cheaper! It's a win win either way. W. German sigs are fabulous and I love them as collectables.

paintballdad
07-15-2012, 7:09 PM
I've seen Mec-Gar mags on topgunsupply.com. Is that one of the better suppliers online?

topgunsupply.com is one of the better online Sig dealers but it seems they only carry the standard capacity Mec-Gar mags and will not ship those to California. Try gregcotellc.com (http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=97_123), he carries Mec-Gar mags and his shipping rate is reasonable. I'll try to dig up a few more sources for 10rd Mec-Gar P228 mags. I've seen some used German made Sig mags pop up on ebay from time to time.

Sturnovik
07-15-2012, 7:25 PM
CDNN has great prices on the mecgars, as well exile.

godfreyfolsom
07-18-2012, 6:53 PM
Well, I just purchased my "New" p228! The last 2 guns were both in excellent condition, but I had my bud help me choose. He has better eyes for detail. ;p

I can't wait until July 24th, my pick up date. :) In case anyone is interested, Cordova Shooting Center has one more in stock.

Cheers!

As of tonight they have two in stock - I took the third...

e46sc3
07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Went to Cordova Shooting Center this morning and picked up one of these CPO P228's ... They had one in the counter with Hogue grips that felt great, but had a small scratch on the slide. I asked if they had anymore in the backroom and one of the young men said they still had plenty. I ended up buying one that he brought up from the backroom. I would say that if you're looking for a collection piece then you'd be better off looking elsewhere. But, if your looking for a shooter. These CPO's should work great. Seemed to me that when the pistols were refinished the P228 stamping and serial numbers became alittle harder to see.

SIGman Freud
07-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Went to Cordova Shooting Center this morning and picked up one of these CPO P228's ... They had one in the counter with Hogue grips that felt great, but had a small scratch on the slide. I asked if they had anymore in the backroom and one of the young men said they still had plenty. I ended up buying one that he brought up from the backroom. I would say that if you're looking for a collection piece then you'd be better off looking elsewhere. But, if your looking for a shooter. These CPO's should work great. Seemed to me that when the pistols were refinished the P228 stamping and serial numbers became alittle harder to see.

Great! Yeah, they aren't super collectible but they're still "Made in W. Germany". :D

I pick mine up next Monday. I. Can't. WAIT!!

SIGman Freud
07-20-2012, 11:34 PM
topgunsupply.com is one of the better online Sig dealers but it seems they only carry the standard capacity Mec-Gar mags and will not ship those to California. Try gregcotellc.com (http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=97_123), he carries Mec-Gar mags and his shipping rate is reasonable. I'll try to dig up a few more sources for 10rd Mec-Gar P228 mags. I've seen some used German made Sig mags pop up on ebay from time to time.

CDNN has great prices on the mecgars, as well exile.

Cool. Thanks, people!

e46sc3
07-21-2012, 1:01 AM
Great! Yeah, they aren't super collectible but they're still "Made in W. Germany". :D

True dat!!! West German Sigs ...:drool5::drool5:

I'll be picking mine up on Tuesday the 31st

godfreyfolsom
07-22-2012, 5:50 AM
Cool. Thanks, people!

With shipping it was cheaper to get two from Cheaper Than Dirt than anywhere else I found.

e46sc3
07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
I can't wait until July 24th, my pick up date. :) Cheers!

It's the 24th ... They have been opened now for 5 minutes ... Hurry up and pick her up. 7 more days until I get mine ...

When I get it, I'll post some pics, for sure! :)

Post your pics!

CasperSYTFU
07-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Definitely in for pics! Post up!
Jealous of you

SIGman Freud
07-24-2012, 7:17 PM
Arrgh! I picked it up yesterday but haven't had time to post them pics yet. Plus, I'm out of town for work until Thursday. :/