View Full Version : Small Coyote Down, Graphic Photos

07-08-2012, 10:39 AM
This morning while out on a hike I came upon a pack of coyotes. I set up for the shot and after a barked I took the shot hitting what turned out to be the mother coyote that with a litter of pups. I lost her after she slipped into the thick stuff.

As I’m tracking the mom coyote I spy another one about 150 yards out. I took another shot and it and it turned out to be a pup. It actually looked just like an adult coyote through the scope. It is difficult to judge size with adrenalin pumping and without a reference for scale. The worst thing about it is that I captured all that on video but I wont post it because it would give away one of my hunting areas. Oh well I guess I just exterminated a litter.

The blood trail is from the mother coyote. Heck from the last one I shot I let three go because I didn't want to make dirty kill so there's plenty more out there.

07-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Yep, it's that time of year. You can shoot stupid pups now but I don't usually shoot the moms because the pups may not make it on their own.

07-09-2012, 10:43 AM
did you call them and what sound was it.Don't feel bad those pups seem to be out on there own right now the other will learn to hunt.

07-11-2012, 1:00 PM
Thanks you guys.

I didn’t call them. I was hiking around in an area that I know holds coyotes and as I came over a ridge I spied them without being detecting. Yeah, those pups are 7734. I
The call that has recently worked in my area has been the FoxPro Coypup in distress jackrabbit combo.

07-12-2012, 6:58 AM
Hi Tony,

I hunt the high desert a lot, too. It's been a while since I've brought in a big coyote. The ones I've been getting are pretty young, too. They're dumb and curious. Anyhow, you could get a decent pelt off that one to hang up in your garage. Jonesin' to go- always jealous when I see you can hunt right in your own backyard. It takes me 2 hours to get there....good job!