PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to your Glock?

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 9:58 AM
I've had a Glock 19 for several months now & I love it. I realized today while messing around with it a little that when I load exactly one round of Federal 147 HST into the magazine, insert the magazine into the magwell and rack the slide, the round fails to chamber and instead nose dives into the feed ramp and the slide stays jammed open half way. Now, I know WHY this is happening: 1) HST's have a really large hollow which gives it a flatter nose, and 2) the spring power of the magazine is weak when there is only one round loaded....However!.. I was wondering if this is a good enough reason to change to a different type of HP for home. I still have to go to the range and see if all 10 rounds will fire off, or if the 10th will FTFeed, but no matter how many trials I do at home racking the slide with my hand, even as hard as possible, the last round always jams up. I've tested various other rounds, and so far no others have had this issue. Forgive me if this has already been discussed.

EDIT: I made a video of the malfunction on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMaXaCPY0m4

Mr.1904
07-08-2012, 10:03 AM
And you haven't shot said load in the gun yet?

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Well, I have, but I only bought one box of 50, so I only fired off a magazine loaded with 5 rounds when I first bought the ammo to see if it would run.. silly of me I know.. should have tried a full mag.

But as far as I know the 147 HST is a popular load for a lot of Glock shooters, so I was curious if anyone else found this to be problematic.

vintagearms
07-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Hand loading a round is not the same as actually shooting at the range. Use it at the range and report back. Then we may have suggestions if your still having issues.

glock21fan
07-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Are you letting the slide fly? Or manually actuating the slide with your hand on it till the jam happens? This is not normal. You may want to try a diff magazine or polish the feedramp or try different ammo. But none of my glocks ever did that with any ammo

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Regardless of whether I let it fly or hand rack manually.. I'm starting to think it's just the diffference in hand racking and actually firing... because firing off 5 successful rounds shouldn't be any differernt than firing off 10 when the issue has to do with feeding the last round in the mag... But just because it works at the range five out of five or even 10 out of 10 trials, I'm still beginning to think that HST's aren't the most reliable for war (out of a glock 9mm)..

Guess I'll have to report back later. On Target anyone? :)
BTW, enjoy your Sunday ya'll

Mr.1904
07-08-2012, 11:05 AM
My 17 didn't have any problems with 147 grn HST.

I will try them through my soon to be brand new 26 come the 19th. Let us know.

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 11:10 AM
You're a lucky man! I also plan to add a 26 to the collection one day.....wait... I'm guessing you just got back from the gun store haha

HighLander51
07-08-2012, 11:50 AM
You just have to crank it really fast, or let it go from slide stop. I have shot thousands of those thru my G19.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35553.jpg

Mr.1904
07-08-2012, 11:57 AM
You're a lucky man! I also plan to add a 26 to the collection one day.....wait... I'm guessing you just got back from the gun store haha

Having it shipped :(. But "scheduled delivery" is tomorrow so hopefully i can start Dros tomorrow. If you're in SD lemme know, we can set something out so you can try mine before you buy. And i know i'm a lucky guy :D

Socalmedix
07-08-2012, 12:04 PM
In my Glock I have 124gr HP rounds for home defense... Personal preference and I have never had a ftf, fte, or failure to cycle...

ap3572001
07-08-2012, 12:08 PM
HST 147 is very popular LE load. I use it Glocks for years w/o no issues.

UBFRAGD
07-08-2012, 12:14 PM
If you bought it used: Make sure mags are Glock oem, replace mag spring. Inspect feed ramp: If the previous owner dropped it on the concrete, may need some dremel. I use a dremel and cloth wheel with some red metal polish on the feed ramp, completely unneccessary, looks nice though. G20 and G26 eat every type of ammo I have fed them. If you bought it used, replace every spring on the dang thing right off the bat.

Blade
07-08-2012, 1:12 PM
If its a stock unmodified Glock, try another magazine. The one your using has a weak spring. Make sure it is an original Glock manufactured magazine and not the KCI? (Korean) clones. Thats the only time my G19 ever had a feed issue.

tbc
07-08-2012, 1:32 PM
Like others have mentioned. It is also depending on how you rack the slide.

Was at On Target last week with my recently acquired Block 17.

Sent from my iPhone

9mmepiphany
07-08-2012, 2:00 PM
While you're at the range, check the extractor for function too.

Load a single round and remove the magazine before firing it. See how often it ejects and how often it doesn't

Riddler
07-08-2012, 2:02 PM
If you want to change your HD load, try Remington Golden Sabers, Speer Gold Dot, or Winchester Ranger T series.

Mr.1904
07-08-2012, 2:58 PM

Load a single round and remove the magazine before firing it. See how often it ejects and how often it doesn't

How would that have anything to do with the round failing to chamber?

Domingo
07-08-2012, 3:37 PM
try a different mag I have a glock 19 3gen and it did the same thing you are having I replaced the mag springs and was GTG.

Shenaniguns
07-08-2012, 4:13 PM
Regardless of whether I let it fly or hand rack manually.. I'm starting to think it's just the diffference in hand racking and actually firing... because firing off 5 successful rounds shouldn't be any differernt than firing off 10 when the issue has to do with feeding the last round in the mag... But just because it works at the range five out of five or even 10 out of 10 trials, I'm still beginning to think that HST's aren't the most reliable for war (out of a glock 9mm)..

Guess I'll have to report back later. On Target anyone? :)
BTW, enjoy your Sunday ya'll

You are not supposed to ride the slide or "hand rack" which is why you're having this malfunction, my G19 does not hang up with 147gr HST when I only load 1 round.

USM0083
07-08-2012, 4:37 PM
I've got about 500 rounds of 147gr HST through my G17 with no problems.

drunktank
07-08-2012, 4:54 PM
I have a 2010 gen3 GLOCK 19 and loading 1 147gr HST doesn't yield any problems for me. That's with both pre and post ban mags.

9mmepiphany
07-08-2012, 5:19 PM
How would that have anything to do with the round failing to chamber?
Because the extractor plays an integral part in the feeding cycle of any auto pistol

!@#$
07-08-2012, 8:57 PM
it's the crappy follower used in the 10rd 9mm mags.

Mikelarry
07-08-2012, 9:00 PM
Get some golden saber and get it over with. It works great and is cheap enough to practice with

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 9:14 PM

I've actually done that, and the brass dropped out the magwell...

Lead Waster
07-08-2012, 9:16 PM
Dude I hope you are "messing around" at the range and not sitting at home, racking in live rounds in front of the TV, especially if you are noticing weird nose dives and what not.

Hey, someone has to be the safety Nazi!

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 9:26 PM
Now I'm concerned that it may be an issue with the extractor..... you see, I've polished the extractor in several points from the advice of a fellow Glock shooter for improved ejection. Maybe I polished some spots a little too much? We'll see what happens at the range. Still, only happens with the HST. If it does happen to be the extractor, at least it's a 5 dollar fix.. All six of my magazines are OEM ambidextrous G19 mags, the oldest one being no more than 4 or 5 months. The pistol is a G19 Gen3 purchased brand new. As far as the various racking methods, I've tried them all. Dropping the lever, slingshotting the slide manually...I mean there aren't really that many ways. Once it gets caught on the ramp, it'll chamber if I give the bottom of the magazine a good whack, but that's besides the point. The rounds are a bit old, but I don't think that should affect cycling.

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 9:31 PM
Dude I hope you are "messing around" at the range and not sitting at home, racking in live rounds in front of the TV, especially if you are noticing weird nose dives and what not.

I understand you're concern with safety, I guess "messing around" wasn't exactly what I meant. I was just loading up the gun as I keep my Glock code red so I was chambering the +1 with a magazine that only had one round, and then I was going to load up the empty mag. This is when I realized the issue. Normally I chamber the gun with a fully loaded mag, and then top off the magazine so I never came across this problem. Realized the danger involved after several jam ups and consulted with CalGuns lol..

sirgiles
07-08-2012, 9:33 PM
do you have a picture of your diy polished extractor? why did you polish it in the first place?
are the mags new too? does it still happen if you just load your mags with 9 rounds?

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 9:46 PM
No pictures at the moment, but at first I polished only the outer, visible surfaces to a shiny "chrome". Purely for aesthetics. This doesn't affect the extractor's function at all. However recently I polished the top and bottom of the extractor as well, the surfaces that rub in the extractor channel(?) on the slide when the extractor pivots. But all this may be irrelevant. There's no way of me knowing if the nose dives would have happened prior to this polishing as I never tried chambering a round using a magazine loaded with a single HST cartridge..

Here's a video of the jam for what it's worth..

Forgive the terrible camera angles and quality, it was from an outdated dumbphone AND I was sitting on my arse using my feet to hold the phone if you can imagine that..

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 10:15 PM
BTW I just tried one last time lol....it has nothing to do with the extractor, it nose dives into the ramp long before the extractor gets near the rim of the cartidge.

tal3nt
07-08-2012, 11:17 PM
do you have a picture of your diy polished extractor? why did you polish it in the first place?
are the mags new too? does it still happen if you just load your mags with 9 rounds?

It doesn't matter how many rounds are in the mag, it happens to the last round.

scglock
07-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Does it only happen on that particular mag? Try polishing the feed ramp. Its pretty weird that it does that only when one round is loaded. Also try it fully loaded when you're at the range.

tal3nt
07-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Same results using 3 diff mags.. Fully loaded would work, even works when there are only two rounds loaded. I'm fairly certain my mag springs are still good, they're less than a year old. My Glock has seen about 1,200 rounds through it so far, mostly FMJ so I'm still trying to find the best HP's for this particular weapon

Turbinator
07-09-2012, 10:51 AM

BIG +1

To the OP, please don't test chamber at home. You're courting danger.

Turby

tal3nt
07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Once again, thank you for your concern. The last thing I want is to unintentionally fire my weapon inside of my home, trust me. I am also competent with firearms and especially knowledgable of the Glock platform. The last time I checked, it's the action of pulling the trigger that releases the striker and makes the gun go bang, not the slide lever, the feed ramp, the slide, or anything else on the gun. The striker is held safely in place by the safety plunger until I pull the trigger. I can't imagine they would make a modern day gun that has the potential to go off when you chamber it. I could imagine however pursuing legal action against said firearm company if it were to happen though. My Glock is 100% factory, only change is a G17 trigger assembly. I speculate that several of you have experienced true firearm negligence on your part in the past. Chambering a round at home is not negligent. And I only did it several times because I was amazed that the Glock didn't want to eat. I chamber my weapon at home every day. No kids, solid gun safe, plenty of training, so it's all good :D

locosway
07-09-2012, 8:36 PM
I've had a Glock 19 for several months now & I love it. I realized today while messing around with it a little that when I load exactly one round of Federal 147 HST into the magazine, insert the magazine into the magwell and rack the slide, the round fails to chamber and instead nose dives into the feed ramp and the slide stays jammed open half way. Now, I know WHY this is happening: 1) HST's have a really large hollow which gives it a flatter nose, and 2) the spring power of the magazine is weak when there is only one round loaded....However!.. I was wondering if this is a good enough reason to change to a different type of HP for home. I still have to go to the range and see if all 10 rounds will fire off, or if the 10th will FTFeed, but no matter how many trials I do at home racking the slide with my hand, even as hard as possible, the last round always jams up. I've tested various other rounds, and so far no others have had this issue. Forgive me if this has already been discussed.

EDIT: I made a video of the malfunction on YouTube

I run the Federal HST 147 in my Glock 17 and 19 and I've never had a feeding issue. Not one any of my magazines, even the 33 round mags. (Yes, I've shot 33 rounds of HST through my 17).

My suggestion is to get some new springs for your mags.

locosway
07-09-2012, 8:38 PM

BIG +1

To the OP, please don't test chamber at home. You're courting danger.

Turby

What, you guys don't ever chamber a round in your guns when you aren't at an official shooting place?

:rolleyes:

tal3nt
07-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I would consider new magazine springs, but it happens in all my magazines (6), all factory 10round Gen4 mags oldest one being 4 months as I have mentioned earlier.. I'll guess I'll just pick up some Golds or Hornadys to load up just for some added peace of mind

tal3nt
07-10-2012, 10:59 AM
(Yes, I've shot 33 rounds of HST through my 17)

Did ya get him?? :)

MossbergMan
07-11-2012, 6:07 AM
Sell that POS pistol..I'll offer $150 for a non-functioning gun :biggrinjester:
My STOCK Glocks actually feed empty cases out of the magazine (one of the few guns that will do this)
Guns have three enemies....Rust, Politicians and Owners trying to make it better on their kitchen table. Jeez o pete...really, make a Glock MORE reliable? Naw, there's only one way to go on that curve and that's down. You have as close to a 100% reliable pistol out of the box as any every made, yet we as owners think we know more than the engineers that design them on CAD machines and we just can't leave good enough alone.
There are places to polish the Glock system to get a better trigger pull, but there is nothing you can do to improve it's reliablity. You will only compromise it.

billped
07-11-2012, 6:21 AM
Could the fact that you are running gen4 mags in a gen3 gun be an issue? Have you tried a gen3 mag?

I know that the reverse works fine.

tal3nt
07-11-2012, 11:59 AM
All gen3 Glocks come w/ g4 magazines now, I believe they're the only ones Glock produces anymore. Defintely not the issue.. It's the HST's.

tal3nt
07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Sell that POS pistol..I'll offer $150 for a non-functioning gun :biggrinjester:
My STOCK Glocks actually feed empty cases out of the magazine (one of the few guns that will do this)
Guns have three enemies....Rust, Politicians and Owners trying to make it better on their kitchen table. Jeez o pete...really, make a Glock MORE reliable? Naw, there's only one way to go on that curve and that's down. You have as close to a 100% reliable pistol out of the box as any every made, yet we as owners think we know more than the engineers that design them on CAD machines and we just can't leave good enough alone.
There are places to polish the Glock system to get a better trigger pull, but there is nothing you can do to improve it's reliablity. You will only compromise it.

My gun is factory. The erratic ejection of brass is FIXED after polishing and slightly filing the extractor in key areas. Many people including you do not know this and continue to cry about brass landing on their face. Everyone knows about the 25 cent job. My Glock feeds empty brass too, but not HST when loaded with a single round in the magazine. Does your Glock feed a empty brass with only one in the magazine? That would be more reasonable and comparable boasting. A nose dive has nothing to do with the extractor. My Glock is factory. My speculation is that you think you are omniscient. You are not.

!@#$
07-11-2012, 5:00 PM
All gen3 Glocks come w/ g4 magazines now, I believe they're the only ones Glock produces anymore. Defintely not the issue.. It's the HST's.

find a standard cap mag and try again. i bet it feeds fine.

vandal
07-11-2012, 6:28 PM
I have had that malf with HST and square notch magazines in at least one of my Glock 19s. The newer angled notch mags don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tal3nt
07-12-2012, 2:22 PM
find a standard cap mag and try again. i bet it feeds fine.

Maybe I'll stumble upon one on my jog today

Domingo
07-13-2012, 5:06 AM
It might be the mag follower have you tryied calling Glock

illusionistpro
07-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Talent, I had the same issue as you but I went to the range today and ran a box of hst through my gun and it shot flawlessly. Ate up all 50 hst with out a hickup. I suggest you fire off some mags at the range.

I thought about it afterwards and couldve loaded fewer rounds per mag to get more "test samples" but 5 mags each going 10/10 leaves me feeling pretty good. I have another box ill run through in a couple weeks. I'll update you again then.

scootle
07-15-2012, 6:20 PM
It would be awfully strange that your Glock would have reliability issues with factory ammo (of any reputable make). As has been mentioned several times, triple check the condition of your magazine(s)... go to the range and test some other factory mags if you can borrow some.

There is a reason Glocks are a "go to" pistol for so many, they are as reliable as they come.

locosway
07-15-2012, 6:24 PM
Maybe I'll stumble upon one on my jog today

Let me know when you want to hit the range. There's one two blocks from me in Stanton.

ptmccain
07-15-2012, 6:26 PM
What, you guys don't ever chamber a round in your guns when you aren't at an official shooting place?

:rolleyes:

I don't "mess around" with my Glock and live ammo. I chamber a round when putting a magazine in before I put it in my holster, where, hopefully, it remains until I remove it at the end of the day, drop the magazine and unchamber the round.

nickbackouris
07-16-2012, 5:57 AM
If it's used, check your recoil spring. When you depress the slide release in your video, your slide looks lazy. That thing should slam forward with the force of a thousand hippos landing on an altar boy. If that doesn't do it, weak mag spring, which is letting the nose of the round sit lower in the mag than it should, slamming it into the base of the feed ramp instead of onto the ramp itself.

If that doesn't fix it, buy a slingshot and load it with dragon eggs.

rkt88edmo
07-16-2012, 6:28 AM
I think LRN (last round nosedive) is a pretty well beaten up topic at glocktalk, you might go dig around there.

illusionistpro
07-16-2012, 8:30 AM
I think LRN (last round nosedive) is a pretty well beaten up topic at glocktalk, you might go dig around there.

Thanks for the direction. This thread says some of the followers are to blame. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17343772 I think I have 9mm1s right now. Ill check when I get home. Like I said they worked fine at the range and testing will be on going until I get through 2 boxes of jhp and feel confident about them.